0c45:627f - Lenovo 3000 N100

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 23, 2008, 1:22:25 PM4/23/08
to microdia
Hi all, meet test bunny.

Test bunny has Lenovo 3000 N100 with 0c45:627f.
Test bunny has pulled latest code from git, which does not contain
support for his webcam.
Test bunny changed the code of the driver to use 627b initialization
code. It crashed his machine.
Test bunny is willing to help as mush as he can, and is using
2.6.24-16-generic (ubuntu 8.04 32bit)
Test bunny can give direct SSH connection to his machine.

:)

GWater

Apr 23, 2008, 3:11:35 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
But test bunny shouldn't actually do so with people he just met in some
weird google group. ;-) Especially since debugging will most likely need
root privileges.

GWater

Vasily Khoruzhick

Apr 23, 2008, 3:14:01 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com, Diego Iastrubni

Hi there

In windows *.inf file I've found: 627f means sn9c201 + eeprom

We definitely need some usb-snoop-logs from you :)
Can you boot into windows and make some cool usb-snoop-logs for our
project? :) Follow this manual:
http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/web/usb-sniffing-on-windows

Vasily

signature.asc

GWater

Apr 23, 2008, 3:16:46 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Vasily Khoruzhick schrieb:
Please WAIT:
There is one important thing if you use this howto:
The logs are only useful if you actually get an image and not a black or
white screen while recording them.

Now please go on.

GWater

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 23, 2008, 3:23:57 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
That's ok, displaying non black images was a pre-condition I would easily guess.

I am running currently Vista32 and I cannot install the *sys driver for the capturing. I used version 2, from http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/SniffUSB-x86-2.0.0006.zip as described in that manual.

If this does help (?) Windows Update found a suitable driver for this cam called "ASUS WebCam 1.3M USB2.0, FF". That worked but I decided to install the Driver supplied by Lenovo anyway.

Again, I am under the impression that you think I don't know what I said in previous mail. I don't have a problem with some developer logging into my machine and crash it a few times, if eventually it gets me a working web cam. I think a reverse SSH connection will help, but I can stop being lazy and I should forward the correct port from my laptop to the FW :)

Test bunny != Test Dummy

JoJo jojo

Apr 23, 2008, 3:24:36 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com

Hi Diego

Are you sure that you have 0c45:627f ?,
instead of the more likely 0c45:624f ?

Can you try with 0c45:624f init/start/stop stream sequences ?

Also few users have reported problems with 2.6.24.x kernels,
can you try on 2.6.22.x ?

-JoJo

Vasily Khoruzhick

Apr 23, 2008, 3:27:42 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On 23 April 2008 22:24:36 JoJo jojo wrote:
> Hi Diego
>
> Are you sure that you have 0c45:627f ?,
> instead of the more likely 0c45:624f ?
>
> Can you try with 0c45:624f init/start/stop stream sequences ?
>
> Also few users have reported problems with 2.6.24.x kernels,
> can you try on 2.6.22.x ?
>
> -JoJo

Nope, I've seen one more lenovo 3000 n100 with 627f cam. 624f functions don't
work for it.

signature.asc

Vasily Khoruzhick

Apr 23, 2008, 3:28:41 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On 23 April 2008 22:23:57 Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> That's ok, displaying non black images was a pre-condition I would easily
> guess.
>
> I am running currently Vista32 and I cannot install the *sys driver for the
> capturing. I used version 2, from
> http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/SniffUSB-x86-2.0.0006.zip as
> described in that manual.
>
> If this does help (?) Windows Update found a suitable driver for this cam
> called "ASUS WebCam 1.3M USB2.0, FF". That worked but I decided to install
> the Driver supplied by Lenovo anyway.
>
> Again, I am under the impression that you think I don't know what I said in
> previous mail. I don't have a problem with some developer logging into my
> machine and crash it a few times, if eventually it gets me a working web
> cam. I think a reverse SSH connection will help, but I can stop being lazy
> and I should forward the correct port from my laptop to the FW :)
>
> Test bunny != Test Dummy

Please try "Device monitoring studio"

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/usb-monitor.html

signature.asc

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 23, 2008, 3:41:36 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
I installed that application, and recorded a few seconds of video. I am attaching here the "export" of the packets dump (if I understand this application).

However, it seems you guys are looking for the initialization string, and the document you sent me to, asks to unplug the device. Since this is a built-in webcam, this is not possible. How can I help you? Just ask.

I will verify the lsusb output, and I will test other initialization sequences in a few hours, or maybe tomorrow.
lenovo-webcam.hex.txt

GWater

Apr 23, 2008, 3:43:46 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
Maybe you can turn it off in some acpi way? We have encountered that
problem before - if there' is really no awy to turn it off or unplut it
- let's hope it works nevertheless ;-) .

GWater

Vasily Khoruzhick

Apr 23, 2008, 3:50:30 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On 23 April 2008 22:41:36 Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> I installed that application, and recorded a few seconds of video. I am
> attaching here the "export" of the packets dump (if I understand this
> application).
>
> However, it seems you guys are looking for the initialization string, and
> the document you sent me to, asks to unplug the device. Since this is a
> built-in webcam, this is not possible. How can I help you? Just ask.
>
> I will verify the lsusb output, and I will test other initialization
> sequences in a few hours, or maybe tomorrow.

No, we need "urb view, detailed". Here's manual:

Just install device monitoring studio, reboot your laptop.
Start device monitoring studio, add "urb view" plugin for camera device. Start
sniffing on usb device. NOTE: do NOT start any video app before starting
sniffing in device monitoring studio.

Then open any video app, wait until you'll see something. Image should be
stabilized, i.e. brightness should be OK. Then close this app.

Stop usb-sniff in device monitoring studio. Export detailed info as *.txt
(ansi) file. It will be huge - ~300-500mb. Compress it with 7zip or with rar
(7zip preffered). Then upload it somewhere where we can get it. Please, DON'T
send it to the maillist.

signature.asc

GWater

Apr 23, 2008, 3:52:38 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Vasily Khoruzhick schrieb:
Since we're linux and free, opensource software guys we would also
prefer .tar.gz I think.

GWater

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 23, 2008, 3:53:00 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
God I hope you don't mean port "rmmod" to win32 to unload the driver... :)

What are you exactly suggesting? The best idea I have is to uninstall the driver, reboot windows, start capturing, install the driver and then hope for good.

I am open to suggestions.

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 23, 2008, 3:54:54 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
7zip will compress much better then bz2. You have a free unpacker on every debian based system. If you don't have debian installed, debootstrap is your friend :)

Vasily Khoruzhick

Apr 23, 2008, 3:55:17 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com

Nope, 7zip compressed my 300mb device monitoring studio log to the small 4mb
7z-archive, but gz compressed it in 20mb archive. Btw, 7zip is lgpl
software ;)

signature.asc

GWater

Apr 23, 2008, 3:56:59 PM4/23/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
Excuse me I'll stop mailing for today and send some more sensoeful stuff
tomorrow.

GWater

JoJo jojo

Apr 24, 2008, 3:01:13 AM4/24/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Diego Iastrubni <dieg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> God I hope you don't mean port "rmmod" to win32 to unload the driver... :)
>
> What are you exactly suggesting? The best idea I have is to uninstall the
> driver, reboot windows, start capturing, install the driver and then hope
> for good.
>
> I am open to suggestions.

Hi Diego

How about Linux with virtualization for windows XP 32-bit,
then we can connect/disconnect usb devices via menu,
(usb 2.0 is a problem)

then just usbmon will do to capture the init/start/stop stream sequences.

-JoJo

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 24, 2008, 3:07:33 AM4/24/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
I tried it once with VirtualBox and was not working. Anyway, this kind of setup requires a lot of work, and will take me a few days to get working (install XP, and all zillion drivers). I still did not manage to find time for that original test.

I have been thinking... maybe enabling/disabling the driver via the control pannel will have the same effect. I should try it.

Diego Iastrubni

Apr 24, 2008, 6:21:02 AM4/24/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
I rebooted the machine, started capturing, and opened MSN and the cam settings page. IMHO should be enough. It's only 4MB.

http://qtedit4.googlecode.com/files/lenovo-webcam-2.hex.txt.7z

Dave Neuer

Apr 25, 2008, 10:23:09 AM4/25/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:43 PM, GWater <grew...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
> >
> > However, it seems you guys are looking for the initialization string,
> > and the document you sent me to, asks to unplug the device. Since this
> > is a built-in webcam, this is not possible. How can I help you? Just ask.
>
> Maybe you can turn it off in some acpi way? We have encountered that
> problem before - if there' is really no awy to turn it off or unplut it
> - let's hope it works nevertheless ;-) .

On my cam (624f), there's a hardware button on the cam itself that
will cause the device to disconnect from the USB bus.

Dave