New license plate design for Michigan

stonej

Aug 2, 2006, 2:53:09 PM8/2/06

UsenetID

Aug 2, 2006, 4:27:08 PM8/2/06
"stonej" <sto...@mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:1154544789....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...The colors will look nice on my dark green car - that's really all I care
about :).

Sherry
www.owly.net

Al Bundy

Aug 2, 2006, 5:01:32 PM8/2/06

stonej wrote:
> What do you think?

I think the SOS should spend some time cutting the lines at their
offices. The line for driver's licenses or state ID's is routinely
three hours at Redford and 1.5 hours at Dearborn after the day gets
started. It maked no sense because they end up servicing all the
customers anyway, eventually.
I would be happy to keep my 20+year old blue plate if they would fix
the lines.
OH, the new plate is OK if you need one. The line is not too bad for
those.

Beemerwacker

Aug 2, 2006, 9:06:08 PM8/2/06
I'll stick with my standard blue plate. I did enjoy how they mispelled
my personalized plate and offered to redo it. For the same cost.

UsenetID

Aug 2, 2006, 10:26:20 PM8/2/06
"Beemerwacker" <43.k...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'll stick with my standard blue plate. I did enjoy how they mispelled
> my personalized plate and offered to redo it. For the same cost.

I thought I'd read that everyone will be required to get the new plates?
Something about the reflective paint that they use...can't quote a source
but seems to me I read it a couple of months ago...

Sherry
www.owly.net

stonej

Aug 3, 2006, 7:54:02 AM8/3/06

I believe that is correct. Everyone who has a blue plate will have to
get a new one.

Peter

Aug 3, 2006, 9:36:38 AM8/3/06

But it costs $5 extra to get the new plate. Will they give me a new,
shinyer blue one for no extra cost?

>From "The State News" Today:

"... the plates will be available on Jan 1. They will be presented as
an alternative to Michigan's standard liscence plate and will cost
drivers $5 in addition to their registration fee."

stonej

Aug 3, 2006, 10:59:34 AM8/3/06

The blue plates will no longer be valid, you will have to get a new
plate of one of
of the other current designs or the brand new design. If replacing the
blue plate I
think you will have to pay the extra $5 that others would pay if they
wanted it and
were not replacing a blue plate.

Al Bundy

Aug 3, 2006, 5:16:40 PM8/3/06

Well, not exactly.
The old blue plates continue to be OK beyond Jan1.
When they finally do come up for renewal next year, SOS will give you a
new reflective plate, which will be the new standard plate. They don't
say if it's blue or not.

Al Bundy

Aug 3, 2006, 6:11:38 PM8/3/06

Al Bundy wrote:

PS. The new standard plate is white with blue letters, no extra charge.

J.D. Baldwin

Aug 4, 2006, 9:54:19 AM8/4/06

In the previous article, stonej <sto...@mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote:
> What do you think?
>
> http://lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/NEWS04/60802003

"Pleasant penninsulas" would have been a cooler motto.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

Beemerwacker

Aug 4, 2006, 5:45:59 PM8/4/06
Let me guess....if you have a personalized plate you get to buy it
again. I wonder if I can get "skrwsos" this time.

Tony Wesley

Aug 4, 2006, 10:50:11 PM8/4/06

Beemerwacker wrote:
> Let me guess....if you have a personalized plate you get to buy it
> again. I wonder if I can get "skrwsos" this time.

Speaking of personalized license plates, have you ever read the story
of the Ernest MacDougal Campbell III's attempt to get DOUGAL as his
license plate?

http://dougal.gunters.org/the-car-tag-saga/

Beemerwacker

Aug 5, 2006, 9:42:06 AM8/5/06
My little saga is similar; I named my truck after one of my cats,
Ambrose Butterbutt, aka stinkerbutt (he had a very smelly ear infection
as a kitten). I'll wait while you stop laughing at me......okay. So, I
got my personalized plate, "Stnker1". After about a year, I purchased a
car that was...fast (hence my moniker, beemerwacker) and applied for
the plate "Stinker2". A few weeks later, "StnkerZ" shows up in the
mail. Well. So I call the dealership, they call SOS and the dealer told
me stop by pick up another temp. and they'll take care of it, SOS made
the mistake. Well, a month goes by and nothing. The dealer hems and
haws and I wind up with the original plate. Take it to SOS and was
told, yes indeed I can get it corrected. For the original cost of the
plate. Would I like that? Just for giggles I check for "Stnker2" and
find out it's taken. By me. But the plate says "StnkerZ" which leaves
me right back where I started. I finally threw up my hands and said to
heck with it. Here's your sign.....