Where to create a Mezzanine project for a Django project

Sithembewena Lloyd Dube

Oct 5, 2010, 8:13:15 AM10/5/10
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I just installed Mezzanine and would like to use it for a "blogs" section in a Django project. Where would I run mezzanine-project - inside the existing Django project or as a stand-alone project outside of it?

Thanks,

--
Regards,
Sithembewena Lloyd Dube

Stephen McDonald

Oct 5, 2010, 3:25:57 PM10/5/10
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'd suggest just adding mezzanine.blog to your installed apps and including mezzanine.blog.urls in your urlconf. You might need to massage things a little after that but that will get you started.

Cheers,
Steve
--
Stephen McDonald

Stephen McDonald

Oct 5, 2010, 5:16:16 PM10/5/10
to mezzani...@googlegroups.com
Just realized I think you'll need to add mezzanine.core to your installed apps also.

And just to clarify, the mezzanine-project command is only for creating new projects.

Sithembewena Lloyd Dube

Oct 6, 2010, 9:35:47 AM10/6/10
to Mezzanine Users
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the tips - will dive in and see the docs for usage
information.

Regards,
Lloyd

On Oct 5, 11:16 pm, Stephen McDonald <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just realized I think you'll need to add mezzanine.core to your installed
> apps also.
>
> And just to clarify, the mezzanine-project command is only for creating new
> projects.

Mike Herring

Sep 9, 2015, 5:06:55 PM9/9/15
to Mezzanine Users
Hi Stephen,

I know this was from a while ago, but I am trying to accomplish the same thing (adding a Mezzanine-powered blog to an existing Django project), and your directions don't seem to be complete. I am getting errors regarding PACKAGE_NAME_FILEBROWSER, and after fixing that I get further errors when trying to run the webserver. Do you have a more complete walkthrough for setting up this type of functionality?

 - Mike

Ryne Everett

Sep 9, 2015, 11:17:56 PM9/9/15
to Mezzanine Users
Sounds like you need to grab some default settings from the example project template: https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/blob/master/mezzanine/project_template/project_name/settings.py

I don't think there's such a guide but it seems like it would be a useful addition to the documentation.

blizzard

Sep 23, 2015, 11:04:45 PM9/23/15
to Mezzanine Users
Hello Mike/Ryne,
I too, am trying to accomplish the same thing as you are and I have an existing django project to which I am adding a Mezzanine project as an app. I added all the necessary mezzanine settings to my project settings.py file and to the urls.py file. I am able to start localhost without any errors but I am now unable to access my project admin page or any pages for that matter (old project and mezzanine app ).

I get an error :

Page not found (404)

Request Method:GET
Request URL:http://localhost:8000/admin/
Raised by:django.contrib.admin.sites.index

Directory indexes are not allowed here.

I made sure that django is calling my project settings and my project local settings only (which have all the mezzanine settings as well). I searched online and found that this error is generally thrown when static root paths are messed up, but I can't seem to find out why this is happening in my case since the debug information provided in the browser is also inadequate.

My project setup is of this sort :

projects/
    -main_project/
         -apps/
              -mezzanine_app/
                   -deploy/
                   -mezzanine_app/
                        -settings.py, local_settings.py and wsgi.py
                   -static/
                  -fabfile.py, manage.py etc.
         -main_project/
              -setttings/