Hosting other interpretations on Consensus Reality

David Bailey

Mar 16, 2012, 5:22:39 PM3/16/12
to Metaphysical Speculations
I have a strong feeling you are right about a fully mental explanation
of reality, but it seems to me that this ultimate substrate can 'host'
other metaphysical concepts. By (rough) analogy one thinks of one
operating system, Windows hosting another, Linux (using Virtual Box,
or equivalent software). Thus it is possible to imagine dualism as an
explanation of reality that is itself explicable in terms of consensus
reality, as indeed pure physicalism can be explained by a subset of
consensus reality.

These ideas don't need to be seen as alternatives, so much as levels
of approximation (pure physicalism being the most approximate).

David

Bernardo

Mar 16, 2012, 6:19:03 PM3/16/12
to Metaphysical Speculations
David, I personally think you are spot on here. I do see Dualism as a
valid 'phase' within Idealism. As Maria Prophetissa said, 'the One
becomes Two; from the Two comes the Third; and out of the Third comes
the One as the Fourth.' (this is called the 'Axiom of Maria' in
Alchemy) So if the 'One' is the uncreated Psyche, the ground of
existence, the first phase of its manifestation may be its division
into two aspects of opposing psychic aspects that one may call
Dualism. SO indeed Dualism may exist as a valid metaphor within
Idealism. Bernardo.