aria2 1.1 beta

Anthony Bryan

Dec 18, 2008, 6:46:52 PM12/18/08
to Metalink Discussion
Tatsuhiro has posted a beta of aria2 1.1 for testing!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=159897

This release fixes the many bugs such as buggy HTTP pipelining
implementation that leads to corrupted downloads, bad cookie handling
and sending bad formed URI to the tracker. --max-overall-upload-limit
option was added to controll overall(not per torrent) upload speed.

From this release, aria2 validates the server certificate of HTTPS
servers by default. --with-ca-bundle compile time option is added to
specify the default path to the CA bundle.

The most big changes in this release is that the package name is
changed from "aria2c" to "aria2". This changes the install directory
of documents and translation files(*.mo). This change is done in order
to fix the inconsistency of the package name and the install directory
since in many distributions the binary package name is "aria2", but
the old releases tried to install to "aria2c" directory such as
"/usr/local/share/doc/aria2c".

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
)) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads

Anthony Bryan

Jan 7, 2009, 3:00:30 PM1/7/09
to Metalink Discussion
aria2 1.1.2 is out.

also, Tatsuhiro has merged the AdaptiveURISelector patch, which I
believe is from Mandriva ( http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Aria2 ).

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2150656&group_id=159897&atid=813675

2009-01-06 Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <t-tuj...@users.sourceforge.net>

Applied AdaptiveURISelector patch from Aurelien Lefebvre. This
patch adds AdaptiveURISelector, which selects one of the bests
mirrors for first and reserved connections. For supplementary
ones, it returns mirrors which has not been tested yet, and if
each of them already tested, returns mirrors which has to be
tested again. Otherwise, it doesn't return anymore mirrors.

there's also powerpill for Arch Linux http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill

Powerpill is intended to be a wrapper for the pacman package manager
that is used on Arch Linux and some other GNU/Linux distributions. The
main purpose of powerpill is to increase the speed of package
downloads by using aria2c as a download accelerator. This is
accomplished by parsing pacman output to generate a metalink file that
is then piped to aria2c. This makes the following possible:

* simultaneous downloads instead of pacman's sequential downloads
* segmented downloads for files above a user-specified size

The combined effect makes the most of your available bandwidth and can
dramatically speed up downloads on high-speed connections.

Metalink Uses

Powerpill can display or save a metalink for a requested download
operation. This could be useful if you wanted to download packages for
one computer on another one because the other one has a better
connection (e.g. higher speed, no volume cap). For example, if you
wanted to do a full upgrade on computer A but download the files using
computer B, transfering them using an external storage device (hard
disk, usb stick), you could do the following:

1. on computer A, run "powerpill -Syu --get-metalink update.metalink"
2. transfer metalink file "update.metalink" to computer B
3. on computer B, run "aria2c update.metalink" to download the packages
4. transfer the packages to some directory on the external storage device
5. transfer the packages from the external storage device to
/var/cache/pacman/pkg on computer A
6. run "powerpill -Su" on computer A

Tatsuhiro

Jan 8, 2009, 9:34:20 AM1/8/09
to Metalink Discussion
Mandriva guys also sent me 2 more patches:

* exit-status.patch : Implements exit status in aria2, returning the
status of the last error
* Adaptive-URI-Selector-timeout.patch : Will retry with increased
timeout on timeout errors, instead of failing

I'll review them and apply them to the upstream source.