error "does not look like a Bazaar repository"

matt wilkie

Sep 8, 2010, 1:43:04 PM9/8/10
to merc...@selenic.com
Hello,

I'm new to Mercurial. I just installed 1.6.3 using the x64 msi and am attempting
to convert a local Bazaar branch to hg, but the command fails:

K:\code\hg>hg convert -s bzr -d hg ..\foo foo
initializing destination foo repository
..\foo does not look like a Bazaar repository
abort: ..\foo: missing or unsupported repository

K:\code\foo>bzr check
Checking working tree at 'K:/code'.
Checking branch at 'file:///K:/code/'.
Checking repository at 'file:///K:/code/'.
checked repository <bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport url=file:///K:/code/>
format RepositoryFormat2a()
23 revisions
520 file-ids
checked branch file:///K:/code/ format Branch format 7

The host system is 64bit Win7 pro. Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

-matt

Mads Kiilerich

Sep 8, 2010, 4:51:30 PM9/8/10
to matt wilkie, merc...@selenic.com
matt wilkie wrote, On 09/08/2010 07:43 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Mercurial.

Welcome! It might be a good idea to get some experience with Mercurial
before you try to do conversions which often get quite complex.

> I just installed 1.6.3 using the x64 msi and am attempting

Please point out exactly which msi you used.

> to convert a local Bazaar branch to hg, but the command fails:
>
> K:\code\hg>hg convert -s bzr -d hg ..\foo foo
> initializing destination foo repository
> ..\foo does not look like a Bazaar repository

That means that convert couldn't find ..\foo\.bzr and that ..\foo thus
wasn't a bzr directory. Does it make a difference if you try to use
absolute paths?

Besides that, I think there are good (bad?) odds that if you installed a
standalone Mercurial installer then it didn't include the bzr libraries
and can't find them if they are installed in your local Python
installation.

/Mads

> abort: ..\foo: missing or unsupported repository
>
> K:\code\foo>bzr check
> Checking working tree at 'K:/code'.
> Checking branch at 'file:///K:/code/'.
> Checking repository at 'file:///K:/code/'.
> checked repository<bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport url=file:///K:/code/>
> format RepositoryFormat2a()
> 23 revisions
> 520 file-ids
> checked branch file:///K:/code/ format Branch format 7

Matt Wilkie

Sep 8, 2010, 5:14:32 PM9/8/10
to Mads Kiilerich, merc...@selenic.com
> Welcome! It might be a good idea to get some experience with Mercurial
> before you try to do conversions which often get quite complex.

Thanks for the welcome Mads. I've gone ahead and just created a new hg
repository of the project without history. It's not what I want, but
there's no point in sitting still either. ;-) If we get this sorted
out before too long I can repeat a few things later to keep the story
straight.

>> I just installed 1.6.3 using the x64 msi and am attempting
>
> Please point out exactly which msi you used.

I first tried tortoisehg-1.1.3-hg-1.6.3-x64.msi, which is what I was
using when I posted the message. I uninstalled that version, rebooted,
and then installed
tortoisehg-unstable-1.1.35307.35004-x64-1ed5f641-c13a-49eb-8950-03586fdf3896.
No change.

> That means that convert couldn't find ..\foo\.bzr and that ..\foo thus
> wasn't a bzr directory. Does it make a difference if you try to use absolute
> paths?

no, no difference. I also tried "hg convert file:///k:/code/foo"

If I don't use source and destination parameters there is another error:

K:\hg>hg convert k:\code\foo k:\hg\foo2
initializing destination k:\hg\foo2 repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a CVS checkout
k:\code\foo does not look like a Git repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a Subversion repository
k:\code\foo is not a local Mercurial repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a darcs repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a monotone repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a GNU Arch repository
k:\code\foo does not look like a Bazaar repository
cannot find required "p4" tool
abort: k:\code\foo: missing or unsupported repository

> Besides that, I think there are good (bad?) odds that if you installed a
> standalone Mercurial installer then it didn't include the bzr libraries and
> can't find them if they are installed in your local Python installation.

Are the bzr libraries something that can be downloaded seperately? if
yes, where do I put them locally?

--
-matt

GIS Q&A    http://gis.stackexchange.com/
personal   -=(www.maphew.com         )=-
in-between -=(www.yukongis.ca        )=-
work       -=(www.environmentyukon.ca)=-

Mads Kiilerich

Sep 8, 2010, 5:37:02 PM9/8/10
Matt Wilkie wrote, On 09/08/2010 11:14 PM:
> I first tried tortoisehg-1.1.3-hg-1.6.3-x64.msi, which is what I was
> using when I posted the message. I uninstalled that version, rebooted,
> and then installed
> tortoisehg-unstable-1.1.35307.35004-x64-1ed5f641-c13a-49eb-8950-03586fdf3896.
> No change.

I doubt there is any Mercurial installers that also includes the bzr
python libs, so it might be a bit tricky to get it right.

Install Python, install mercurial-1.6.3.win32-py2.6.exe from
http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg-winbuild/downloads/ (linked from
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Download), somehow install Bazaar
libraries into python so you can run "python.exe" and "import bzrlib" -
and make sure that it is the right version and that it works correctly.

Perhaps someone who have done it before will chime in and share their
experience about the best way to do that. You can also try to use some
kind of Linux where stuff is more integrated ... if you can ...

>> That means that convert couldn't find ..\foo\.bzr and that ..\foo thus
>> wasn't a bzr directory. Does it make a difference if you try to use absolute
>> paths?
> no, no difference. I also tried "hg convert file:///k:/code/foo"
>
> If I don't use source and destination parameters there is another error:
>
> K:\hg>hg convert k:\code\foo k:\hg\foo2

> k:\code\foo does not look like a Bazaar repository

Do k:\code\foo\.bzr exist?

/Mads

Matt Wilkie

Sep 9, 2010, 1:00:55 PM9/9/10
to Mads Kiilerich, merc...@selenic.com
> Perhaps someone who have done it before will chime in and share their
> experience about the best way to do that. You can also try to use some kind
> of Linux where stuff is more integrated ... if you can ...

This worked! Thanks for the suggestion. I have an ubuntu vmware
appliance. I installed mercurial 1.6 from ppa (the default 1.4 doesn't
have convert), enabled convert, and ran 'hg convert code/foo
foo-from-bzr'. It appeared to work, giving me a summary of the log
messages. I was confused for awhile that ./foo-from-bzr was empty
except for am .hg directory. After floundering around for awhile I
discovered that 'hg update' is needed. So, to recap:

hg convert path/to/foo-bzr-branch foo-hg
cd foo-hg
hg update

>>        k:\code\foo does not look like a Bazaar repository
>
> Do k:\code\foo\.bzr exist?

Yes.

Thanks for your help.

--
-matt

GIS Q&A    http://gis.stackexchange.com/
personal   -=(www.maphew.com         )=-
in-between -=(www.yukongis.ca        )=-
work       -=(www.environmentyukon.ca)=-

Matt Wilkie

Sep 9, 2010, 1:27:39 PM9/9/10
to Mads Kiilerich, merc...@selenic.com
> I doubt there is any Mercurial installers that also includes the bzr python
> libs, so it might be a bit tricky to get it right.

Should this be filed as a bug? I went to do so, found this
pre-existing one which appears to match[1], but the reporter was
basicly told "not our problem, go away". It should be noted on the
wiki [2] at least that it doesn't work on Windows without some extra
work.

[1] http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue1754
[2] http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ConvertExtension

cheers,

-matt

Steve Borho

Sep 9, 2010, 1:41:44 PM9/9/10
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I doubt there is any Mercurial installers that also includes the bzr python
>> libs, so it might be a bit tricky to get it right.
>
> Should this be filed as a bug? I went to do so, found this
> pre-existing one which appears to match[1], but the reporter was
> basicly told "not our problem, go away". It should be noted on the
> wiki [2] at least that it doesn't work on Windows without some extra
> work.
>
> [1] http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue1754
> [2] http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ConvertExtension

We have to weigh benefit versus cost when building the Windows
installers. For stand-alone Mercurial MSI installers, we chose to not
include much of anything beyond Mercurial itself. For TortoiseHg
installers, we include enough svn-python to be able to convert
subversion repositories, or use hgsubversion. We do this because a
large minority of our users are switching from svn or are still using
svn servers.

The number of Windows Mercurial users switching from bzr is pretty
low, so it's unlikely we'll add bzr libraries to our installers.

You're right about the Wiki. Feel free to improve it.

--
Steve Borho

Matt Wilkie

Sep 9, 2010, 7:14:47 PM9/9/10
to Steve Borho, merc...@selenic.com
> You're right about the Wiki. Feel free to improve it.

Done. I also filed a bug that hg convert should report "Xlib not
available, skipping" instead of "foo does not look like an X
repository" http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue2369

cheers,
--
-matt

GIS Q&A    http://gis.stackexchange.com/
personal   -=(www.maphew.com         )=-
in-between -=(www.yukongis.ca        )=-
work       -=(www.environmentyukon.ca)=-

Lester Caine

Sep 9, 2010, 7:36:30 PM9/9/10
to mercurial
Matt Wilkie wrote:
>> You're right about the Wiki. Feel free to improve it.
> Done. I also filed a bug that hg convert should report "Xlib not
> available, skipping" instead of "foo does not look like an X
> repository"http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/issue2369

There are a number of 'failures' that occure with convert and other functions
when something is missing, which give missleading error reports.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL