documentation on memcached commands

ALV

May 8, 2009, 6:28:28 AM5/8/09
to memcached
Is there a help command that I can use to view all the commands that
can be used from memcached port?

I am trying to find the different commands that I can use, but the
protocols.docs does not seem to be complete.

thanks.

Ray Krueger

May 8, 2009, 6:43:05 AM5/8/09
to memc...@googlegroups.com

What seems to be missing from the protocol doc?
http://github.com/dustin/memcached/tree/master/doc/protocol.txt

Trond Norbye

May 8, 2009, 7:38:57 AM5/8/09
to memc...@googlegroups.com

On May 8, 2009, at 12:28 PM, ALV wrote:

> Is there a help command that I can use to view all the commands that
> can be used from memcached port?

No

> I am trying to find the different commands that I can use, but the
> protocols.docs does not seem to be complete.
>
> thanks.

Why do you believe that the docs isn't complete?

Cheers,

Trond

ALV

May 8, 2009, 8:54:17 AM5/8/09
to memcached
because it does not have all the port commands to use specifically
outlined. ex. I found a command from one of the scripts "stats
cachedump x x x". also is there something like a help in the port to
show the different commands and usage?

Toru Maesaka

May 8, 2009, 9:22:26 AM5/8/09
to memc...@googlegroups.com, memcached
cachedump is a debugging functionality for developers, meaning it's
not an officially supported command. Thats why its undocumented.

If you see a command thats not documented in the spec, it's a client
specific feature that is implemented on the client side.

Toru

Dustin

May 8, 2009, 11:04:44 AM5/8/09
to memcached

On May 8, 5:54 am, ALV <alvillaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> because it does not have all the port commands to use specifically
> outlined. ex. I found a command from one of the scripts "stats
> cachedump x x x".  also is there something like a help in the port to
> show the different commands and usage?

While it tends to work as such, the memcached protocol wasn't
designed to be a CLI, so the idea of a help command is at the least a
fairly low priority.

If such a thing did exist however, "stats cachedump" would surely
not be listed there as it's generally recommended that it be avoided
(and quite often those who use it don't understand what it does
anyway).