tools to show memcached statistics

Harry Duin

Apr 30, 2010, 11:55:57 AM4/30/10
to memcached
I am starting to store more and more key/values in memcached and
believe it is time to start looking at the memcached statistics. I
like to know if I need to increase the amount of cache I give to
memcached. In addition, support has asked me to give them a tool they
can use to monitor memcached.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a monitoring tool (other than telnet)
or a URL where these tools are discussed?

We run memcached on 4 app servers.

I upgraded to memcached 1.4.5 and am using the java client
spymemcached version 2.3.

Thanks,

Harry

Brian Moon

Apr 30, 2010, 12:07:26 PM4/30/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com, Harry Duin

Baron Schwartz

Apr 30, 2010, 12:10:04 PM4/30/10
to memc...@googlegroups.com
Harry,

I think that generally three things are important.

- Monitoring and alerting. I like Nagios.
- Historical trending. I like Cacti. See the memcached templates
included with http://code.google.com/p/mysql-cacti-templates/
- Performance analysis. I like mk-query-digest from Maatkit.

Cheers,
Baron
--
Baron Schwartz