Crowdsourced translations from #LeWeb

1 view

George Weyman

Dec 9, 2009, 5:55:08 AM12/9/09
to Meedan Translations, Samer N Karam
Hello Translators,

I'm writing to encourage you take part in an exciting Twitter translation project happening on the web today and tomorrow, viewable on the web here: http://livetweeting.com/

We're working to help translate a feed of live tweets from a major internet conference called LeWeb into Arabic.

The conference is very prestigious, bringing together leading technologists from all the big online networks and web services (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google, Netvibes) - many of whom are thinking hard about the future of translation.

It will include a session on the Middle East including Meedan advisers Habib Haddad, Founder of www.yamli.com and Joi Ito.

There'll also be a keynote by Queen Rania of Jordan.

So how does it work? Watch this video: http://livetweeting.com/about

@SamerKaram is tweeting from the event, and a group of volunteer translators will be live tweeting translations including the hashtag #AR.

How to get involved?

- Get onto Twiitter.com and follow @SamerKaram's livetweets
- Always Reply (@username) to the tweet you are translating – this will create a relationship between the
original tweet and the translated tweet!
- If need be: Use Yamli tools (http://www.yamli.com/arabic-keyboard/) to transliterate
- Must use #LeWeb #LT #AR hashtags together (#AR indicates translated to Arabic)
- Visit www.LiveTweeting.com and rate other people’s translations as they happen – rating is essential for
Quality assurance (DO NOT rate your own translations)
- Coordinate with fellow translators to make sure the full event is covered
- Do NOT retweet translations!!!!! (anything tweeted by you with #LeWeb #LT #AR will show up on
LiveTweeting)

More information:

Event starts on Dec 9 2009 at 8 AM Paris Time (GMT+1) (Wednesday)
- Event Day 1 is Dec 9 2009 8 AM to Dec 9 2009 8 PM (GMT +1) (Wednesday)
- Event Day 2 is Dec 10 2009 8 AM to Dec 10 2009 8 PM (GMT +1) (Thursday)
- Arabic language only (must be fluent in English and Arabic)
- Send an e-mail to parti...@livetweeting.com with the subject Translate
o Include your full name
o Your country of origin
o Your mobile number (where you can be reached while at Le Web)
o Your E-mail address
o Your twitter account (the one you will be tweeting from)

Hope we can help create some buzz here for Arabic translations on the web!  We'll also build our profile with Queen Rania and the members of the event.

All the best,
George

--
George Weyman  - Content and Community Manager, www.Meedan.net |
My Friend Feed - http://friendfeed.com/georgeweyman |

George Weyman

Dec 9, 2009, 6:01:23 AM12/9/09
to Meedan Translations
Also you can see the full agenda of LeWeb in Paris here:
http://www.leweb.net/program/event-agenda-0