Success! MythTV With Time Warner Digital Cable Pioneer BD-V1100

Adam Ellis

Apr 3, 2006, 7:48:48 AM4/3/06
to mc...@googlegroups.com
Hey group,

I finally have my MythTV box configured to work with my Time Warner Digital Cable Pioneer BD-V1100. I know a few other folks out there have one of these receivers, so here are the steps to get it going.

- First you need to purchase or make an IR blaster. I purchased one from here:

http://www.irblaster.info/

For $15. The extra couple of bucks for the LED is worth the money when you are trying to troubleshoot things.

- Connect the IR blaster from the serial port on your myth box and stick the transmitter directly over the IR "eye" of the BD-V1100. It should be to the left-bottom of the clock. Shining a flashlight into the front of the unit will help you in locating it.

- You'll need an svideo cable to go from the svideo port on the digital cable box into the svideo input on your TV tuner (mine is a PVR-250). I think you could connect over the coax too.

- For me, I also needed a RCA to stereo cable to go from the digital cable box into the audio input on the PVR-250. The svideo apparently does not carry audio.

- Next you need to compile a second instance of LIRC on your system. These instructions are easy to follow and worked well for me:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

It looks like there is a lot there, but it is really quite easy. Also, these instructions will not effect your existing LIRC setup in any way, so you don't have to worry about breaking what is already working for you. The only thing I had to do to get this to work on my system was use LIRC 0.8.0 instead of 0.7.2 to get around some unknown symbol error (2.6 kernel stuff).

- This config file will operate the BD-V1100:

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/scientific_atlanta/AT8400

- You'll need a change channel script - here is what I am using:

/usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh
==================
#!/bin/sh
REMOTE_NAME=SAE8000
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
/usr/local/lirc-ledxmit/bin/ledxmit-irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 0.4 # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a bit
done

Make sure you make that file executable for the user 'mythtv'.

- You can test everything at this point by running '/usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh XXX' where XXX is a valid channel in your lineup. If you have an irblaster with the LED you should see it blink 3 times and change the channel on your digital cable receiver.

- Now go onto your DataDirect account at zap2it and add a digital cable lineup to your account. Be sure to take the time here and pick only the channels you want in mythtv instead of doing a Select All. Otherwise you'll end up with lots of In Demand channels in your program guide and programming tiers you may have not purchased.

- Go into mythtv-setup and delete your old video source and re-create it with the digital cable lineup. Go into Input Connections, select S-Video 0, and fill in these settings:

* Video source: pick the video source you just created.
* External change channel command: /usr/local/bin/change_chan.sh
* Preset tuner channel: 3
* Now press the 'Fetch channels from listing source' button. This process will run 'mythfilldatabase', so expect it to take a good 10 minutes.
* Finish

- Now run a mythfilldatabase and test things out in mythfrontend.

Hope this helps,
Adam