McCowns Montgomery and Harrison Co, Texas

Mic

Oct 23, 2009, 3:29:19 AM10/23/09
to McCown Family History
There were 4 Males in this family. They were sons of Sampson McCown
and Margaret Telford originally from Chester County, SC: Anyone
wishing to join the Descendants of the War of 1812 Veterans can join
on Sampson's service.

Alexander was born 1805 in Tennessee and died 1855 in Montgomery
County, Texas. He has a slanting and decaying (has vines and limbs
growing out of it) box tomb and is buried in the town of Old
Montgomery, Montgomery County, Texas. There is an historical marker on
the tomb. Whoever applied for the historical marker on the tomb (this
was done prior to the 1970's) erroneously referred to him as James
Alexander combining him and his brother James into one person. This
likely came from the county history. James, his brother, was a totally
different person. James and Alexander were in business together and
built the first Montgomery County courthouse. About 1844 or so James
moved to Marshall, Harrison County leaving Alexander and other family
members in Montgomery County. Alexander was married and had children,
but none of the children survived childhood.

James was born in 1808 in Tennessee and died in 1852 in Marshall,
Harrison County, Texas. He is buried in the Marshall City Cemetery in
Marshall. He "had" a neat Table Top (full grave length) grave stone
that was destroyed by the falling limb of a tree several years ago.
He had a wife and several children.His wife was a sister of JB
McCown. In Alabama and in Texas he was a speculator of land and owned
a hotel in Marshall at the time of his death. He served in the
Somerville Expedition in 1842 and served a single term in the Texas
State Legislature. Several people on this list are descendants of
James. His descendants are eligible for the Sons of the Republic of
Texas or the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.

Sampson was born about 1816 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama in the area
which is now Hale County. He died in 1887 in Hunt County, Texas. He
has no known marked grave. He served as Lt under his younger brother,
J.B. in the Mexican War. After the war he moved to Harrison County,
Texas for several years then moved to Van Zandt County, then to Hunt
County. He was likely a Whig in politics, was commissioned a Brigadier
General, but, never served. During the Civil War he served as a
private in the Hunt County Home Guard and later as County Judge. In
1879 he was attacked by a disgruntled neighbor who he killed in self
defense and was acquitted after a week long trial. He had numerous
children who had many descendants who are eligible for membership in
the Sons of the Republic of Texas or the Daughters of the Republic of
Texas. Mic Barnette (m...@micbarnette.com ) is the only known member of
the SRT on descent from Sampson McCown.

Jerome B. McCown, or JB, as he styled himself, was born in 1821 in
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama and died about 1876 in Texas. His first
documented military experience began as a Private, then he was quickly
elected Captain of his own company in the Mexican War where he
distinguished himself and his company (his brother, Sampson served as
his Lt under him) at the Battle of Monterrey.

After the Mexican War JB served as a Captain in a Texas Ranging
Company fighting Indians on the Texas frontiers. He also served two
terms in the Texas State Legislature and fought Indians again on the
Texas Frontier. During the Civil War served as a recruiting Captain
then as Quartermaster under General Sibley in the New Mexico theater.
After the war, in 1871, he was appointed as a commissioner to create
Waller County. His wife was a sister of his brother, James McCown's
wife. He did have children but the children died young without issue.
He therefore has no descendants. JB is not listed on any list as a
Texas Ranger but I am collecting evidence to publish which will show
he served in various units, always as a Captain, which will establish
him as being in the service of Texas and as such, a Texas Ranger.

Bill

Oct 23, 2009, 9:20:56 AM10/23/09
to McCown Family History
Hi Mic, long time no correspond. I am back in search mode again after
years of tracking other family branches.
Some interesting notes on your history review above.
1. Alexander's grave in Montgomery is now clean of the vines and
overgrowth but
the historical marker is long gone. The name confusion with James has
been evident since
the 1840's as many documents in the archives refer to him often enough
as James Alexander
to cause decades of them possibly being confused (James and Alexander)
into one in the same
person. Most info indicates that James was the builder (courthouse)
of the land and the one who swapped property
for the plots in what was then Montgomery, but advertisements for the
land are signed Alexander. W.W. Shephard
(designer of the Texas Flag) was a business partner of both of them.
My Dad swore that he could prove that Alexander"s
first name was James but I never found what he may have been referring
to. He also was convinced that James had a middle
name that started with a B. Again, dont know where that came from but
think it was from his father. His grandfater, Jerome
Greene McCown died before my father was born.

2. I have found several lists of Texas Rangers in at least two books
that show JB and Sampson as Rangers. Interesting
to note that they served with Sam Walker (Walker Colt Revolver fame)
and the famous John Hayes. In the book "The Scouting
Expeditions of McCulloch's (Ben) Texas Rangers" (Mexican War) I seem
to remember that JB was credited with some of the
hand drawings of the Monterrey battle scene. It could have been
another book I have but his name is on the drawings. I think
JB is also listed in another book or two and one might have been "They
Rode for Texas" but I am sure you are far more familiar
with the books than I am. I miss your bookshop in the Antique Mall
here.

Jim

Oct 23, 2009, 2:30:16 PM10/23/09
to McCown Family History
There were so many Alexanders, Sampsons, and Jameses in our family
during the 18th and 19th centuries that it must have been as confusing
to them as it is to us.
> > him as being in the service of Texas and as such, a Texas Ranger.- Hide quoted text -

Leonard J. McCown

Oct 23, 2009, 5:20:38 PM10/23/09
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mic! I figured you could help clear this up! Now write us a book!
Leonard

Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas --
McCown Family History
leo...@mccown.org -- http://www.mccown.org
People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to
their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790

Mic

Oct 24, 2009, 1:18:02 PM10/24/09
to McCown Family History
Hi Bill:

Glad you are back into it!

Glad the vines are gone off the grave. Are the cracks mended?

Has anyone ever tried to put James McCown's tombstone in Marshall back
together? I remember someone talking about trying to fix it. I am not
sure there is anything that could be done as many pieces
I have never seen JB listed as a "Texas Ranger" except in Walter
Prescott Webb's The Texas Rangers, and Webb lists him as McGown rather
than McCown.

JB also shows up in some of the books concerning the Mexican War such
as the Highly Irregular Irregulars. I also have found him in one or
two books on the Civil War.

But for the most part I never see him listed.

I have been looking at some for the Governor's letters and have 2-3
letters written by JB, one in 1860, which is a time I did not know he
was still out there in the field.

I hope to write and submit something to the Handbook of Texas on each
of the McCown brothers. I am frustrated they have no listing at all on
any McCown including Joshua Wilson McCown of the Archives War fame.

James McCown

Oct 24, 2009, 4:41:47 PM10/24/09
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mic:

That was me talking about Col James McCown's tomb. I visited it in Marshall two years ago and it was a shambles. Its probably even worse now.

We definitely need to do something about it.

Jim McCown
Oklahoma

Clark McCown

Oct 25, 2009, 2:40:54 AM10/25/09
to mcc...@googlegroups.com
Are there any of us from the (Bowling Green) Kentucky group out there.  My late grandfather Jonathan Ezra McCown, Sr moved to Louisiana with his siblings when he was younger.  He settled in Jeff Davis Parish of Louisiana (Roanoke, LA).   He was a farmer and most of his family farmed also.  My grandfather and his siblings lived in Southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas and multiplied.....

Clark McCown, MSW, LCSW
Social Services Consultant
(310) 980-1365 - phone
(213) 387-6134 - fax