ANNOUNCEMENT: MathMap Cocoa 1.2.4-1

mark....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2008, 7:16:35 PM3/2/08
to MathMap
Hello everybody!

The day has come - MathMap Cocoa has been updated! The new release
corresponds to the latest stable release of "regular" MathMap, 1.2.4.
It comes with complete documentation as well as an introduction
video. You can download it from the MathMap homepage or from here:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/files/MathMap-Cocoa-1.2.4-1.dmg

You can download the source from here:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/files/MathMap-Cocoa-Src-1.2.4-1.tar.gz

The introduction video is also available on Google Video, but with
much reduced image quality:

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-3386739388697795716

Please report any bugs you might encounter.

Have fun!

Mark

breic

Mar 25, 2008, 4:37:00 PM3/25/08
to MathMap
Excellent news. It seems to work very well, thank you!

One bug I have noticed is that there is no way of accessing the source
image dimensions. The variables X, Y, W, H all give information about
the output image size, but not about the input size. One workaround
is to have the user specify image dimensions with a slider. This is
suboptimal, though, especially for cross-platform script development,
since gimp users wouldn't need the slider.

A second bug is that the program crashes quite frequently if you try
to edit the code in the Mathmap window. I think the problem is that
during edit, the syntax becomes incorrect. The workaround is to edit
in a separate text editor and copy-paste into Mathmap. But an easy
solution would be to disable syntax checking and live-updating, and
only run the code when the user presses a button, or perhaps types
shift-return or enter. (Changes to sliders, however, should still be
updated continuously, only code changes should require pressing a
button.)

On Mar 2, 5:16 pm, mark.pro...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> The day has come - MathMap Cocoa has been updated!  The new release
> corresponds to the latest stable release of "regular" MathMap, 1.2.4.
> It comes with complete documentation as well as an introduction
> video.  You can download it from the MathMap homepage or from here:
>
>  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/files/MathMap-Cocoa-1...
>
> You can download the source from here:
>
>  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/files/MathMap-Cocoa-S...

Mark Probst

Mar 26, 2008, 2:47:42 AM3/26/08
to mat...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:37 PM, breic <ben.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One bug I have noticed is that there is no way of accessing the source
> image dimensions. The variables X, Y, W, H all give information about
> the output image size, but not about the input size. One workaround
> is to have the user specify image dimensions with a slider. This is
> suboptimal, though, especially for cross-platform script development,
> since gimp users wouldn't need the slider.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, MathMap/GIMP only provides
access to the output image size, too. It's just that the output image
always has the same dimensions as the first input image, there. You
couldn't get the dimensions of the second input image, for example.

What about an option that would ensure that the preview, i.e. the
output image, has the same size as the input image?

(Of course the best solution would be to provide a function to get the
dimensions of an image, but that's not going to make it into 1.2.
It'll be in 1.3, though.)

> A second bug is that the program crashes quite frequently if you try
> to edit the code in the Mathmap window.

Can you tell us how to reproduce that?

Thanks!

Mark

breic

Mar 26, 2008, 2:38:05 PM3/26/08
to MathMap
> What about an option that would ensure that the preview, i.e. the
> output image, has the same size as the input image?

For Mac users using scripts developed on the gimp, they need to know
that the preview/output needs to have the same size as the input. But
in general, for slow scripts, it is useful to be able to resize the
preview window to time vs. quality. Also, one would often like to
work with large images, well above the screen resolution. So I don't
think this would work.

> Can you tell us how to reproduce that?

Here is one example that crashes Mathmap ~50% of the time on my
computer. If I find a better example, I'll let you know.
1. Open Mathmap, copy-paste in the following script:
filter temp (
image in
)

in(xy:[x,y])
end
2. Set the image input to something and open the preview window.
3. Back in the code pane, start typing "true = 1;" on the first line.
Don't type too fast. Mathmap crashes after I get to the = sign.
This example worked to crash Mathmap twice in a row for me, but then
failed to crash Mathmap another two times, so I guess the timing is
sensitive. (It might help that I have a slow computer.) Mathmap
never crashes unless the Preview window is open, and almost never
crashes when I copy-paste finished code into the edit window.