Build Service

schani

Sep 8, 2011, 6:51:43 PM9/8/11
to MathMap
Hello all,

It seems that my account on the openSUSE Build Service, which I used
to automatically build all the packages for various Linux
distributions, was tied to my account at Novell, and since I don't
work there anymore, both are gone.

Despite my promise to abandon MathMap I think working Linux packages
should be available, so if any volunteers are up for this job it'd be
much appreciated. No programming knowledge is needed, just a bit of
know-how regarding packaging, git, and the willingness to fiddle
around with the openSUSE Build Service:

https://build.opensuse.org/

Assistance will be provided. Fame and fortune not guaranteed.

Mark

solancer

Nov 4, 2011, 11:58:34 AM11/4/11
to MathMap
I would like to work on this. I have packaged many source files to deb
formats using Ubuntu based build essentials(autoconf automake
autotools-dev dh-make debhelper devscripts fakeroot xutils lintian
pbuilder) but have no experience with Open-suse build service, However
I can teach myself on this new build service build service.

Mark Probst

Nov 4, 2011, 12:20:56 PM11/4/11
to mat...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM, solancer <sola...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to work on this. I have packaged many source files to deb
> formats using Ubuntu based build essentials(autoconf automake
> autotools-dev dh-make debhelper devscripts fakeroot xutils lintian
> pbuilder) but have no experience with Open-suse build service, However
> I can teach myself on this new build service build service.

Awesome!

I suggest you get an OBS account right away and start with MathMap from git:

https://github.com/schani/mathmap

I guess going with 1.3.5 (tag v1.3.5) would be best. The only changes
since then were a new curve widget, anyway. To get the .tar.gz to
upload to the build service you'll need to do "make dist". That step
includes an invocation of chpp
(http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/chpp/index.html), but the
only thing that it does is replace the string "\version" with the
proper version number in the .spec file. I suggest either replacing
that with sed (or something similar) or just doing it by hand - you
don't want to build chpp just for this.

I've uploaded the mathmap project directory from my former OBS account
here, in case you need a reference for which files to put in and how
to name them:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/mathmap/mathmap-obs.tar.gz

If you need any more help, please let me know!

Mark

Mateus Machado Luna

May 7, 2012, 7:49:27 AM5/7/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
Hey Solancer, any news? Is there anyone trying to bring mathmap back to Linux? I'm just a end-user, so I suppose it's not simple to do that, but I really see the need of bringing this plugin "back to life", now that we have Gimp 2.8. So, any plans?  :(

Mark Probst

May 7, 2012, 7:18:31 PM5/7/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com, Hawthorne
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Mateus Machado Luna
<mateus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Solancer, any news? Is there anyone trying to bring mathmap back to
> Linux? I'm just a end-user, so I suppose it's not simple to do that, but I
> really see the need of bringing this plugin "back to life", now that we have
> Gimp 2.8. So, any plans?  :(

There's two things involved here:

1. Bringing MathMap packaging back to life - that's how this thread
started. Currently Lynn (CCed) is working on this, or has at least
expressed interest in working on this. Please coordinate if you'd
like to help.

2. Updating MathMap for GIMP 2.8. Some APIs might have changed, so
MathMap might not compile or work with 2.8 anymore. I have not
checked. If anybody knows, please let me know and I'll take a look
and see what the issues are and, if they're simple enough, I'll fix
them.

Mark

solancer

May 8, 2012, 4:10:11 PM5/8/12
to MathMap
Hi,

I've been facing problems with installation directory. The plugin has
feature requests from Gimp that seems to have changed or removed.

I and a bunch of others are trying to debug issue so its gona take a
while.

On May 8, 4:18 am, Mark Probst <mark.pro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Mateus Machado Luna

solancer

May 8, 2012, 4:12:03 PM5/8/12
to MathMap
Its gona take some more time. I've been facing problems with
installation directory.

On May 7, 4:49 pm, Mateus Machado Luna <mateus.m.l...@gmail.com>

Mateus Machado Luna

May 8, 2012, 7:53:55 PM5/8/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I understand. Thanks anyway and good luck with your mission! I'm waiting for this because I'd like to make a tutorial on portuguese to put on my blog for who are interested on starting with gimp.

photo...@gmail.com

May 9, 2012, 6:43:44 AM5/9/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
On windows there are warning but not error i am currently using MM with no problem with gimp 2.8 from its release, and i used for long
with the 2.7 beta
Only to make it work i had to use some old gimp dll ,removed after 2.6 (that should not be hard to fix for all OS, just remapping the dependency to the newer version of the dll)

The bigger problem i had that i could not make a new build ,neither i found anybody able to build on Windows, so i had to adapt the last available build
(maybe you can send me the mail of Commodor Guff that provided the last win build ? he may be able to give some tip to solve the compiling issue)

Anyway if could work well in Windows on gimp 2.8 (and it does ,other may confirm) should be, in theory, the same for all OS

photo...@gmail.com

May 9, 2012, 6:53:59 AM5/9/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
PS
about my previous message, obviously for linux read " Libraries " where i wrote dll

I suppose you looked to the code, i searched hard but i could not find the line where is defined and hardcoded the preview size
maybe you noticed, and in case you can point me the exact file and line where is the hardcoded preview size ?

a nice improvement would be make the preview resizable and zoomable as for most of the other gimp plugin, alas that is far beyond my skill
But at list if i found the right line i could enlarge to a more reasonable size

On Friday, 9 September 2011 00:51:43 UTC+2, Mark Probst wrote:

Mark Probst

May 9, 2012, 4:12:46 PM5/9/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM, photo...@gmail.com
<photo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The bigger problem i had that i could not make a new build ,neither i found
> anybody able to build on Windows, so i had to adapt the last available build
> (maybe you can send me the mail of Commodor Guff that provided the last win
> build ? he may be able to give some tip to solve the compiling issue)

MathMap includes a README.windows-dev file which gives an overview of
all the steps I had to go through to compile MathMap for Windows:

https://github.com/schani/mathmap/blob/master/README.windows-dev

Mark

Mark Probst

May 9, 2012, 4:17:53 PM5/9/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:53 AM, photo...@gmail.com
<photo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose you looked to the code, i searched hard but i could not find the
> line where is defined and hardcoded the preview size
> maybe you noticed, and in case you can point me the exact file and line
> where is the hardcoded preview size ?

MathMap has a resizable preview since 5 years ago:

https://github.com/schani/mathmap/commit/e9188ad14597b615a48cfce6c0d91d3110a43f0a

Mark

photo...@gmail.com

May 10, 2012, 4:44:51 PM5/10/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
Mark thank for pointing to the doc on  building on windows

About the resizable preview should be a bug in the windows version  because its size remain fixed at 384X384
Even if  i use also Ubuntu (more seldom) i did not noticethe difference but i suppose  because  supposing  was the same so i did not try to resize

On Friday, 9 September 2011 00:51:43 UTC+2, Mark Probst wrote:
On Friday, 9 September 2011 00:51:43 UTC+2, Mark Probst wrote:

Morgan Hardwood

May 14, 2012, 5:07:09 PM5/14/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com, Hawthorne
mkdir ~/programs && cd ~/programs && git clone https://github.com/schani/mathmap.git mathmap-src && cd mathmap-src && git submodule init && git submodule update
After that edit the Makefile to your liking and then make && sudo make install

Works fine in Gentoo x86_64 with Gimp-2.8.

solancer

May 20, 2012, 5:06:52 PM5/20/12
to MathMap
I've been facing problems while compiling the deb file, it throws me
an error with Unmet dependencies.

Here is the screenshot- http://solancer-blogger.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/stuff/Screenshot-mathmap-compile.png

On May 8, 7:53 pm, Mateus Machado Luna <mateus.m.l...@gmail.com>

Owen

May 20, 2012, 8:39:52 PM5/20/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com
It means you need common lisp, also ungif and fftw development as well
as the gimp development files

Just open your package management and search and install those packages

Owen

--
Owen

Robert Zonis

Jul 10, 2012, 10:54:44 AM7/10/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com, rc...@pcug.org.au
Does anyone know how to get MathMap to work with Gimp 2.8 and Windows 7?

--
Owen

photo...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2012, 6:27:31 AM7/12/12
to mat...@googlegroups.com, rc...@pcug.org.au
Sure i even host on sourceforge a windows build with MM preinstalled

but i explained far too much times, please have a look to www.gimpchat.com where this was discussed in detail

or if you prefer get gimp 2.8 (64 bit) with mathmap (and gmic and more) preinstalled

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-packagers/files/gimp_2_8-Windows_Friendly-64bit-s.7z/download

note that is based on gimp 2.8, i plan to update soon for 2.8.

IMPORTANT to start click or create a shortcut for " _Start_Gimp_Friendly.bat" (or equivalent for the other languages
the other options "Demarrer_Gimp.bat" (and equivalent for other languages) start gimp loading a different  configuration:
without any extra, so without mathmap

(and yes gimp 2.8 at 64 bit  may use also 32bit plugins if placede in the right place)

please if you need more info visit the news or the filter board of www.gimpchat.com, i may miss your replies here