Part B of the Math 2.0 Conference - What would get you to attend?

Sol

Feb 7, 2010, 10:55:21 AM2/7/10
to MathFuture
Another question related to a Math 2.0 Conference - What would entice
you to attend a Conference, once it materialized? Enticing means you'd
pay for your hotel and airfare for a two-or three day conference. Who
would be at this enticing conference? What workshops would be offered?
What kinds of people would you meet? What relationships would you
form?

Sol

Sue VanHattum

Feb 7, 2010, 11:52:14 AM2/7/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Here's my dream conference, worth the airfare. (Would I really have to pay for a hotel? Can we find housing for people who want to do something more community-building? I'd buy my hosts dinner, or ... I don't like how much waste is involved in hotel stays. I was just at a hotel for the past two nights, and I don't like the model.)

So, dream conference:
• I get to play with math all day: there are toys like polydrons, and origami, and all the cool books I haven't read yet, and people to play with, lots of math circle sessions where problems are posed,
• Good math circle sessions are videoed, and there are sessions discussing we'd do it. I've taught for over 20 years, and am too used to explaining. I need some real help to move toward a better model. So, videos are available of my favorite math circle facilitators, and I watch them over and over and over, discussing with others how to implement personally,
• There are exciting workshops in all the areas I'm intimidated by: I get to do a math and art workshop, and figure out how to lead one back home; I get to do a science (physics) workshop with Alan Kay, and figure out how to lead one back home,
• I get to hang out with all the authors I'm working with,
• I get to lead a math circle or two, and then deconstruct it afterward,
• I get to discuss college teaching with like-minded souls,
• It is set in a place where the natural world calls to us to come outside and take a break,
• We're in a time warp so I'm only away from my son for 2 days, but I get a whole week to play!

Sue VanHattum

Feb 7, 2010, 11:57:45 AM2/7/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
P.S. My dream conference will have a snappier name than Math 2.0, so it will attract more people. MathFutures or Playing with Math or ...

Maria Droujkova

Feb 7, 2010, 12:14:32 PM2/7/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Sue VanHattum <suevan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Here's my dream conference, worth the airfare. (Would I really have to pay for a hotel? Can we find housing for people who want to do something more community-building? I'd buy my hosts dinner, or ... I don't like how much waste is involved in hotel stays. I was just at a hotel for the past two nights, and I don't like the model.)

I would love to try some "Host a Mathematician" couchsurfing-type thing, where local families provide space for conference attendees. I am sure we can get people to participate, because of the cultural richness, and ecological considerations. I will probably go first with families of conference attendees, and those whose teens can volunteer to set up conference tech and otherwise help, which kids did at Educon. I already started to line up some volunteers for that later part. Great idea, Sue.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Matt Droujkov

Feb 7, 2010, 1:06:37 PM2/7/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
An answer to Sue's wish to be able to stay with her son, the conference could be child-friendly and have math related activities for young kids so that people would be encouraged to bring their children.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Sue VanHattum <suevan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Katherine "Matt" Droujkov

http://person-who-does-things.blogspot.com/ - Culture, writing, and study of human nature

"Unless hours were cups of sack, and minutes capons, and clocks the tongues of bawds, and dials the signs of leaping-houses, and the blessed sun himself a fair hot wench in flame-coloured taffeta, I see no reason why thou shoulsdt be so superfluous to demand the time of day."
- Henry IV, part 1

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."
- Susan Ivanova - Babylon 5

"This is just me, but getting where I am today has taken thousands of hours spent pushing myself to improve. And I certainly don't remember any magical UPS man showing up one day with a big box of talent."

Feldon, Fred

Feb 9, 2010, 12:45:01 AM2/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I'll bet the 2011 Math 2.0 Conference will be in Second Life.

Unless you all are ready to give it a try now? -- Fred

Fred Feldon (SL ffeldon Mint)
Department Chair, Mathematics
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley CA
(714) 546-7600 x11336; Fax (714) 241-6287
ffe...@coastline.edu

________________________________

An answer to Sue's wish to be able to stay with her son, the conference could be child-friendly and have math related activities for young kids so that people would be encouraged to bring their children.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Sue VanHattum <suevan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Another question related to a Math 2.0 Conference - What would entice
> you to attend a Conference, once it materialized? Enticing means you'd
> pay for your hotel and airfare for a two-or three day conference. Who
> would be at this enticing conference? What workshops would be offered?
> What kinds of people would you meet? What relationships would you
> form?

Here's my dream conference, worth the airfare. (Would I really have to pay for a hotel? Can we find housing for people who want to do something more community-building? I'd buy my hosts dinner, or ... I don't like how much waste is involved in hotel stays. I was just at a hotel for the past two nights, and I don't like the model.)

So, dream conference:

* I get to play with math all day: there are toys like polydrons, and origami, and all the cool books I haven't read yet, and people to play with, lots of math circle sessions where problems are posed,
* Good math circle sessions are videoed, and there are sessions discussing we'd do it. I've taught for over 20 years, and am too used to explaining. I need some real help to move toward a better model. So, videos are available of my favorite math circle facilitators, and I watch them over and over and over, discussing with others how to implement personally,
* There are exciting workshops in all the areas I'm intimidated by: I get to do a math and art workshop, and figure out how to lead one back home; I get to do a science (physics) workshop with Alan Kay, and figure out how to lead one back home,
* I get to hang out with all the authors I'm working with,
* I get to lead a math circle or two, and then deconstruct it afterward,
* I get to discuss college teaching with like-minded souls,
* It is set in a place where the natural world calls to us to come outside and take a break,
* We're in a time warp so I'm only away from my son for 2 days, but I get a whole week to play!

winmail.dat