Pi is not a natural number (Skeptism and Mistakes are a good thing)

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Jan 31, 2011, 5:05:46 AM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

I am organizing a course for P2PU and our page is http://classroomk12.wikispaces.com/P2PU+CSMI  Please feel free to participate in the discussions on the pages (and to join the wiki and create your own pages of course).

This thread comes from 2 thoughts and if / when you have time I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Even quick reactions are good.
(a) I read this headline - "Teaching with Skepticism and more ..."    and
(b) In doing one of the problems for this course, I did not easily see that the diagonals split a rectangle into 4 equal areas and was willing to say so in my screencast.

I enjoy being skeptical and wondering why things work and whether I can prove them and if not - where they go wrong. I don't mind being confused and trying to figure out what confuses me. How do we bring this into the classroom - into the teacher's and student's psyche? The skepticism and the wanting to wonder, to explore, to prove, to make mistakes and by continuing to test, find and correct our mistakes is important.

I have to say that "rich problems" don't do it for me and I don't think they do it for students. Often they take up huge amounts of time trying to understand the text of the problem and not the math.

In contrast, small problems like we are doing in the course and screencasting and/or constructing with GeoGebra work for me. With screencasting, we talk/show our thinking process. And when I think aloud, I become more conscious of what I am saying/doing and skepticism has a chance to enter my work, i.e. "Why am I sure this is right?", "What facts/formulas am I using?" .

===A little more (argh you say) ==
First let me say that the headline was actually for "media messaging" not mathematics, but it seems to me that we teach math so "boldly".

As I said before, we state: the ratio of circumference of a circle to its diameter is pi. Like it is the most natural thing in the world. I think it is EXTREMELY strange. and I will bet that the Greeks (or whoever discovered pi) thought God must be having some fun. Firstly, it is strange that this ratio is always the same number, and secondly, it is strange that pi is not a particularly nice number. But we talk about pi like it is a natural number (pun intended). It is not.

Our students begin to think of math as static and fixed and facts and repetition.

Second it took me a while to see (b). I am not giving it away though - it was a wonderful ah-ha moment. I walked around with my folded rectangle in my pocket.   I am relatively certain that in almost any hs geometry class, the teacher would think me slow for not knowing this. (I have found that if I teach something over and over the same way - I begin to think everything is obvious.) My point is that I allowed myself to be skeptical, to be confused and then - using my mathematics and logical thinking skills - I worked it out.

One of my participants (Esther) and I have been talking (see her page) about the skills that make you successful in life and the fact that these skills don't seem to be encouraged in today's classroom. Jumping in head first, being willing to make mistakes, testing our results and if they don't work, figure out why and fix them.

One of our problems was the challenge: Using GeoGebra, draw a line segment. Then construct a square with this line segment as diagonal.

I asked another participant (Steve) if we could give a diagonal to students and ask them to create a rectangle and he said "no" - the non-uniqueness would confuse them.

1. Is confusion bad if we teach them how to logically confront it? (Of course, we must start this process when they are very young.)

And a third participant (Cathy) was doing her "trying to think like my students". Just looking at the "image", I could NOT figure out why her construction wasn't a square. I finally realized that because the construction was done in GeoGebra, I could follow it (view->construction protocol) - like a screencast. Three points here.

2. I could "see" it wasn't right, but I didn't know why - However, I WANTED to spend the time to find the problem (do our students want to solve puzzles?)

3. By following the construction protocol, I could say to myself  "Yes, we see the diagonals crossing perpendicularly at the midpoint. That's good. Ahh, C doesn’t look right. What’s up there?" and then to my student  "Something about C doesn't look quite right. How did you find it?" The construction protocol is a great bonus from GeoGebra.

4. I see GREAT value in giving this construction as part of the problem and asking "Why isn't this a square?" Why? Because they may go right for the easy construction. To me, an important part of learning is recognizing something is wrong and finding out why.

As teachers, we want to help our students learn. To do this we must allow them to make mistakes, but teach them to test their results. With screencasts and GeoGebra, finding where they are not testing their thinking is easier both for us and for them.

Sorry, I know I go on and on....

Alexander Bogomolny

Jan 31, 2011, 7:33:35 AM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Linda, hello:

Pi is a pretty natural number. What needs to be said prior to giving the definition is that all circles are similar. I wrote about that at http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/NatureOfPi.shtml

There is a very intuitive percerption of the idea of "shape" and "size". There are circles, squares, cats, cars, etc. Objects of every shape may be small or big. Those of the same shape are said to be similar. Questinos: What makes a shape? Answer: some (shape-)invariant ratios, etc.

Alex

Maria Droujkova

Jan 31, 2011, 7:54:31 AM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, maths...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska <lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have to say that "rich problems" don't do it for me and I don't think they do it for students. Often they take up huge amounts of time trying to understand the text of the problem and not the math.

Some students, most of them not very strong at math, can't relate to small problems at all. They don't see a point. People who are very divergent thinkers, likewise, need a lot of context to "anchor" them, or they ride away into the sunset of their private associations. The third category of students who crave rich problems are non-sequential thinkers (some call them "visual-spatial" but I dislike the term).

I think small problems vs. rich problems is a very important tag for seeking materials that are best for you personally. I also think everybody needs to learn how to deal with small problems AND rich problems, eventually.

As I said before, we state: the ratio of circumference of a circle to its diameter is pi. Like it is the most natural thing in the world. I think it is EXTREMELY strange.

What are you talking about? Pi=4

Pi equals 4

http://qntm.org/trollpi

Cheers,
MariaD

milo gardner

Jan 31, 2011, 8:27:57 AM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria,

Historical threads discuss Archimedes and pi within limits:

  22/7 < pi <  223/71

that rigorously improved 2050 BCE to 1550 BCE approximations of  pi = 256/81. Pi was indirectly corrected to 22/7 by Ahmes, a 1650 BCE Egyptian scribe, in RMP 38, with 223/71 added by Archimedes.

Ending with a little humor, (1) the fattest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.; and (2) a rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class, because it was a weapon of math disruption,
have places in math classes as well.

Milo

--- On Mon, 1/31/11, Maria Droujkova <drou...@gmail.com> wrote:

Costello, Rob R

Jan 31, 2011, 9:05:17 AM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
saw an article somewhere the other day - can't find it now - where a researcher had studied how young kids explored 'toys' or objects with multiple functions : too much explanation tended to make their learning efficient, but restricted their exploration outside of the explained features

if the instructor explained less - or was apparently called away half way through - or demonstrated they were still learning about the object themselves - the child showed measurable tendencies to explore more as well

the last point (being a co-learner) is interesting : i know teaching IT i felt it was easier to position myself as a co-learner and problem solver who might not know everything : harder to model that in maths for some reason (though of course it was certainly true)

Papert also commented that the teacher in IT classes was actually more likely to disclose they hadn't worked things out in advance : and that this tended to encourage more genuine exploration from kids than when they knew the teachers knew all the answers in advance

interesting

winmail.dat

Mike South

Jan 31, 2011, 12:01:59 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Alexander Bogomolny <abo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Linda, hello:

Pi is a pretty natural number.

I couldn't resist, and they just kept coming:

1) Not according to this, buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_number

2) Or does "pretty natural" mean "pretty close to, say, within 5% of, a natural number"?

3) Wait, maybe that was a typo--did you meant 'preternatural'?  Because the way it shows up every-freakin'-where, it seems to be.

:)

What needs to be said prior to giving the definition is that all circles are similar. I wrote about that at http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/NatureOfPi.shtml

I don't get how this is supposed to help.  I guess maybe if I saw you doing this:

"Next, argue that any two circles are similar. If some two have radii r and R, respectively, then distances between any pair of the corresponding points is in the ratio r/R."

I would be able to guess at how it would work with students. But I don't see how to argue that off the top of my head (note that I have given it less than five minutes of thought).  Just off the top of my head, I think kids would end up with the idea more solidly implanted in their minds after measuring things and finding the same number independent of the size of the circle than they would from a mathematical argument.

Can you elaborate on how you make the r/R argument when you use this approach?

mike

Alexander Bogomolny

Jan 31, 2011, 12:16:08 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

> Can you elaborate on how you make the r/R argument when you use this approach?

Perhaps you can spare another 5 minutes and look at the link

As to the pi being natural, do you question its naturalness? I'd leave the wisdom of using this term with the students to Linda, but is the gist of her quandary is not clear to us the careful readers?

Buddy?

Alexander Bogomolny

Hamilton, Eric

Jan 31, 2011, 9:27:36 AM1/31/11
to maths...@googlegroups.com, mathf...@googlegroups.com

I bet some rich problems are satisfying to you, Linda... but just ones that mean something to you, and that is exactly as it should be.   One of the great advances in math ed is the understanding that context matters.  But we still consider context to be almost person free.  Rich versus small might be a useful tag, but I think our challenge is to elicit or find the mathematics that will connect to individuals.  All of us like to solve rich, all of us like to solve small – assuming that we “like” or are motivated by underlying context.  If you have a problem you want to solve….

As far as a ratio equaling pi… let that forever be known to our students as one of the beautiful and elegant mysteries of mathematics, for such it is.  And in so doing, we flexibly give deserved homage both to pure math and, in the paragraph above, to applied math.

kirby urner

Jan 31, 2011, 12:55:19 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Alexander Bogomolny <abo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Linda, hello:

Pi is a pretty natural number.

I couldn't resist, and they just kept coming:

This has been an interesting thread.  I enjoyed Linda's use of colored type,
which will be lost in some views I realize.

When writing about spatial geometry, I've tended to coordinate rod or line
segment color in a rendering, with font color in the text.[1]

Caleb Gattegno likewise made significant use of color, as a means to
communicate algebra.[2]

These practices have been made easier given our freedom to work in
pixels instead of wood pulp.  In previous generations, you had an uphill
battle adding colors, if the goal was to keep the publisher in business
(in the money, profitable -- colors cost, as did graphics and fancy math
fonts, but you had to have those).

Regarding Pi, my invisible college has had to walk a tightrope, as one
of our chief teachers was thought to slander Pi in saying (over and over,
to all who would listen) that nature is not using it.[3]

I've had to go to special lengths to patch things up with math teachers
who get suspicious if a discourse sounds too counter to their own
subculture's (not saying all math teachers share exactly the same
ethnicity, but there are widespread memeplexes -- orthodoxies --
at work, frequently encountered, such as a worship of the 90-degree
angle as "normal").

For example, below is some "pro Pi propaganda" (P3) which I am able
to cite (fall back on) anytime some knowing cocktail partier comes at
me with a lot of stereotyped criticisms picked up from Geraldo or
Tom Snyder or Dick Cavett or whomever they're watching today
(Charlie Rose?).  I think Pi is a fine upstanding citizen of the world
and should be given every courtesy.

Diplomatically,

Kirby

Notes:

[1]  shows use of colored type mixed with color coded geometric figures:

[2]  More about Gattegno in the constructivist context.
Since writing this little essay, I have attended an AAPT conference
(physics teachers) where Robert Karplus was actively celebrated as
a chief influence.  It's hard to find such loyalty to a singular core reformer
the math teaching world I would contend.  Who's picture would be
projected?  Escalante maybe.  Liping Ma?  Some would still say
Piaget himself perhaps.

(projected slide @ AAPT plenary, July 2010, Portland Oregon)

[3] His point was more the generic unreality of so-called "real numbers"
as literal objects, but that gets philosophical too quickly and he was
looking for concrete imagery.

He also refused to use Phi (the greek symbol for the golden ratio, some
use tau) where it might have been useful, wanting to walk his talk about
steering clear of special symbols.

He restricted himself to the use of surds and exponents only (as in "square
root" -- except he didn't like calling it a "square" root for dogmatic reasons
I've gone into in other posts).

The purpose was to write a book in the humanities for people who read
prose really deeply (e.g. groove on Milton and James Joyce) but tend to
not process mathematical typography.

Edward Cherlin

Jan 31, 2011, 1:15:50 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 05:05, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska
<lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I enjoy being skeptical and wondering why things work and whether I can
> prove them and if not - where they go wrong. I don't mind being confused and
> trying to figure out what confuses me.

Good. You might find the draft of my book at

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/discovering-discovery/

interesting.

> As I said before, we state: the ratio of circumference of a circle to its
> diameter is pi. Like it is the most natural thing in the world. I think it
> is EXTREMELY strange. and I will bet that the Greeks (or whoever discovered
> pi) thought God must be having some fun.

Not so much. However, the cube root of 2 is known to be a prank of the
Greek gods. Apollo demanded through his oracle at Delphi that the
Greeks double the size of his cubical altar. First they doubled the
side, which made it eight times larger, then they proved that 2^(1/3)
cannot be constructed with ruler and compass, and sacrificed 100 bulls
instead. Apollo is on record as being pleased with their solution, or
so the Greeks wrote down in their histories.

Euclidean constructions allow addition, subtraction, multiplication,
division, and square roots, just like a five-function calculator. It
is not very difficult to prove that cube roots don't qualify, in
somewhat the same way that one proves that square root of 2 is
irrational.

> Firstly, it is strange that this
> ratio is always the same number,

This follows logically from the existence of similar triangles, and
therefore of similar polygons enclosing and enclosed by similar
circles. The Archimedean construction works for any size circle in
Euclidean geometry.

On the other hand, you are just at the point where we can open up the
discussion of non-Euclidean geometry, where similar triangles are
congruent, and the ratio of circumference to diameter does depend on
size.

> and secondly, it is strange that pi is not
> a particularly nice number. But we talk about pi like it is a natural number
> (pun intended). It is not.

Not like a natural number. A necessary, unavoidable, and beautiful number.

> Our students begin to think of math as static and fixed and facts and
> repetition.

That's because of two centuries of teacher training thought of as
factory automation, intended to give students and teachers just enough
skill to work in a factory, store, or office, and not enough to be
able to understand politics and economics, which were the concerns of
the monarchies and aristocracies at the beginning of the Industrial
Revolution, and of corporate owners and management later on. The basic
idea was that every student could be given the same lesson from the
same book on the same day, and the teacher would not have to
understand the subject like a practitioner. It would be enough to
present the lesson as written, and then to check for right answers to
homework using the teachers' edition.

The actual history of math is much more interesting, particularly at
those points where somebody invented more of it, and others got
furious about such nonsense or even blasphemy as

* Irrationals. Legend tells us that the Pythagoreans were so incensed
at one of their number, who proved square root of 2 irrational, that
they threw him overboard from the ship they were on at the time.

* 0, introduced to Europe during the Crusades and denounced by the
Church as blasphemy, which is why 12-hour clocks still start at XII.

* Arabic numerals more generally (Fibonacci). Roman numerals were
perfectly adapted to use with the abacus, which, however, could not
cope with compound interest. Business people did not accept Arabic
numerals until Pascal and Leibniz invented practical mechanical
calculators in the 17th century.

* negative numbers (still not used in double-entry bookkeeping).

* imaginary numbers (grudgingly admitted in the solution of cubic
equations in the 17th century, but not fully accepted until the 19th).

* non-Euclidean geometry (19th century: Gauss, Riemann, Lobachevsky,
Bolyai vs. "the clamor of the Boeotians").

* higher-dimensional geometry (numerous mathematicians vs. Kant)

* infinite numbers (Cantor vs. Kronecker, and later Brouwer)

* fractal dimension (Hausdorff and Mandelbrot vs. assorted naysayers)

* non-standard arithmetic (Peano vs. Thoralf Skolem)

* infinitesimals (Newton vs. Berkeley, 17th century, until Abraham
Robinson's hyperreal numbers and John Horton Conway's surreal
numbers).

and much more. There is also the astonishing period from about 1890 to
the 1930s when almost every attempt to define mathematics resulted in
contradiction, until most mathematicians were willing to accept that
any consistent, definable mathematics is necessarily incomplete. There
is of course much more to the story than that.

Nearly a thousand years later, Hindu/Arabic numerals, including 0, and
negative numbers have made it into elementary education, but not any
of the others. Irrationals and imaginaries can be discussed in high
school, but the rest is college-level. Children can't possibly
understand whatever most adults can't cope with. ^_^ But see

http://www.mathman.biz

Calculus by and for young people

> Second it took me a while to see (b). I am not giving it away though - it
> was a wonderful ah-ha moment. I walked around with my folded rectangle in my
> pocket.   I am relatively certain that in almost any hs geometry class, the
> teacher would think me slow for not knowing this. (I have found that if I
> teach something over and over the same way - I begin to think everything is
> obvious.)

They say that if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins
to look like a nail. I have found that if all you do is pound nails,
everything begins to look like a hammer.

[Other interesting and valuable comments omitted because I have
nothing to say about them.]

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Maria Droujkova

Jan 31, 2011, 1:36:45 PM1/31/11
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Hamilton, Eric <Eric.H...@pepperdine.edu> wrote:

.

As far as a ratio equaling pi… let that forever be known to our students as one of the beautiful and elegant mysteries of mathematics, for such it is.  And in so doing, we flexibly give deserved homage both to pure math and, in the paragraph above, to applied math.

These are beautiful words, Eric. I find it quite useful to pause before diving into explanations, and acknowledge the high perplexity (Dan Mayer) of mathematics.

Carol (who leads Psychology of Math Learning at our P2PU school) and her son Madison and I just spent a couple of hours drawing fraction division models, as extensions of whole number division models. There was a step in that extension where the analogy breaks and people get stuck conceptually when they learn how fraction division works. The way Madison described the feeling in his story, "So then one quits with logic and goes into pure math." We paused for a good long time drawing and discussing the leap into the mystery. It felt so good.

We will write it up in more detail soon, and share the pictures, but I wanted to thank Eric for reminding to love the mysteries of mathematics

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Mike South

Jan 31, 2011, 1:38:41 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Alexander Bogomolny <abo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

> Can you elaborate on how you make the r/R argument when you use this approach?

Perhaps you can spare another 5 minutes and look at the link

I did read it, and I didn't understand how you went from your discussion of rectangles, where you start by establishing that not all of them are similar, then you make a leap to similar rectangles, which you could "cut out of a piece of paper".  But how are you generating the similar rectangles that you are cutting from a piece of paper?  By drawing a rectangle on a slide, projecting it to a piece of paper, tracing it out, moving the projector forward or back, and tracing again?  Then you say "because I did it this way, the rectangles are similar"?  But the fact that they are similar when you generate it that way relies on either your experimentation from earlier with the A'B'/AB type measurements or some geometrical argument about light traveling in straight lines and stuff.  Or do you make them with proportional sides, then argue any pair of "chords" in the rectangle will be proportional through experimentation?

If it depends on the measurements that you did to verify that the angles are equal and the lines are in equal ratios, then you are doing the same kind of thing that you seem to be denigrating earlier in the discussion--measuring a few examples of similar shapes and verifying that the ratios are the same.  Are you saying that measuring the distance between the points made by the projector is superior to measuring different sized cans/rolls of tape/etc, which were also made by some process that the students have no a priori reason to believe generates similar shapes?

I can see making a circle of pin pricks, and, once the students have been convinced that moving the projector orthogonally [does it have to be orthogonal or is it sufficient to have the angle to the wall constant?  Despite the distortion you get the same length-ratio and angle invariance, don't you?] generates similar figures, convince them that every circle, ever, could in principle be generated by starting with a sufficiently small circle and then putting the projector the right distance from the wall.

The argument you're making:

"The customary game plan for determination of π that tabulates measurements of several circular objects appears to simultaneously serve two ends: establishing existence of π and approximating its value. Both goals are better served by other means.

In the framework of similarity, existence of π is self-evident. Since all circles are similar, their relative (or shape) attributes are the same for every circle."

seems to be saying that the projector method is better than the "measure several circles" method for establishing its existence and measuring it.  I'm not really addressing the measurement part here, just the question about what the kids believe and understand when they come out of the discussion.

I can see that there is a richer discussion involved in placing the definition of pi in context of the concept of similar figures.  My guess, though, is that the basic idea that "C/d= a constant" is going to be more firmly fixed in their heads by the standard experiment.  The discussion you're describing here seems like it would work best as a "by the way, remember how we did that other experiment?  Now that you understand the concept of similar figures, can you see how it can't have come to any other conclusion?" or something like that.

In other words, I agree with the fact that the discussion you're describing here results in a deeper understanding, I'm just not convinced that it's an improvement on the standard approach as the first introduction to pi.

The nice thing about circles (one nice thing about them) is that they are physically ubiquitous.  Coupling that with the fact that they are all similar means that you can do the circumference/diameter experiment in any school classroom or kitchen and you can do it with kids at a very young age as a Pi Day activity with no other motivation than the gee whiz factor, which can later be incorporated into a discussion of similarity in general.

I would guess that the "try a bunch of circles" approach is going to be more successful at convincing more kids that pi is a universal constant than the projector-brokered version because the former takes fewer mental steps to get to it.

That's why I asked for a description of how the part of your page that I quoted in the original email:

"Next, argue that any two circles are similar. If some two have radii r and R, respectively, then distances between any pair of the corresponding points is in the ratio r/R."

actually proceeds in practice.  At this point, I'm imagining the kids trying to hold the concept of similar figures in their heads, wondering about the fact that angles are preserved but lengths only remain proportionate, wondering what happens if it's not orthogonal if you brought that up, and then possibly wondering if the curved line's length works out the same as the lengths of the chords.  All or any of those could be at a subconscious level that they're not aware of in any way except a vague anxiety that there is a question under the surface that they're not even sure how to phrase.

As to the pi being natural, do you question its naturalness? I'd leave the wisdom of using this term with the students to Linda, but is the gist of her quandary is not clear to us the careful readers?

Buddy?

That was part of the humorous delivery--probably didn't come across well in email.  It was a joke about the fact that there is a specific definition of the term "natural number" in mathematics and pi is most definitely not one.  Supposed to invoke the math police coming along and harassing you about misdemeanor abuse of a word with a mathematical definition....like I said, I don't think it translated well to email.

The smiley was supposed to apply to all three of the wisecracks, just to be clear.

mike

Alexander Bogomolny

Jan 31, 2011, 3:07:03 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
1. First talk about the shapes and their sizes. You can't skip this part. Do the kids recognize a square as a square? Is a rectangle of the same shape? Put two equal squares side by side. Is it a square? No, this is a rectangle. Put two squares of another size side by side. Is this a square? No, this, too, is a rectangle. Are they of the same shape or different shapes? Hopefully, they say they are the same shape - just two squares put together. If that's not clear, continue with more examples.

2. After the question of different shapes and sizes is settled in principle talk of what points/lines of figures of the same shape correspond to each other. In a square, a side and a diagonal or the perpendicular from the center to a side. If you feel like making measurements to forster the idea, by all means, do measurements. Use smileys of different sizes. A projector could be handy. Talk of scaling different shapes.

3. After there is understanding that how points of figures of the same shape correspond to each other, talk of individual and shape properties. Use the measurements from step 2, or make new measurements, if necessary, to introduce the ratios of corresponding lengths as shape attributes. For a square, the ratio of the perimeter to the side is always 4, but, for an equilateral triangle, it's 3. What about other regular shapes? There is plenty of ratios that could be calculated or measured.

4. The conclusion of step 3 should be a realization that scaling does not change shape attributes but only individual length - all by the same factor. This is why the shape attributes are preserved under scaling: (ax)/(ay) = x/y.

5. The circumference could be approximated by perimeters of inscribed regular polygons so that the circumefernce is one of the individual parameters of a circle that changes by scaling exactly like other linear atributes, the radius in particular.

Something in this spirit.

Doing the measurements is not a bas idea in itself - if it helps anyhow. But learning that C/D is more or less 3.14 for a number of cans and bottles is a miserable piece of information blown out of proportion to its significance. The kids would never know why this is so, or what is it good for. Just give me one meaningful exercise that uses this information. A length of an arc? OK, what else? While the idea of similarity is not just deeper or richer, ir permeates maths and has a firm foundation in visual perception and knowledge equisition.

2011/1/31 Mike South <mso...@gmail.com>

kirby urner

Jan 31, 2011, 4:30:41 PM1/31/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Edward Cherlin <eche...@gmail.com> wrote:

<< snip >>

Not so much. However, the cube root of 2 is known to be a prank of the
Greek gods. Apollo demanded through his oracle at Delphi that the
Greeks double the size of his cubical altar. First they doubled the
side, which made it eight times larger, then they proved that 2^(1/3)
cannot be constructed with ruler and compass, and sacrificed 100 bulls
instead. Apollo is on record as being pleased with their solution, or
so the Greeks wrote down in their histories.

This is interesting to me, as I tend to use Delphi and the oracles in
my tellings, starting from before Apollo (a johnny-come-lately who
somewhat spoiled the party, but there ya go).  Some of the political
sites I've been looking at blame Athena for Obama (I'll spare you
the links unless you ask for 'em).

We've had a thread on Math Forum lately where someone is
asked to "double a square" and takes the easy way out.  To be
even more realistic, even a thin square (like a piece of paper)
is also a volume, so "doubling size" should involve a 3rd root
computation (as per Apollo's "altar").

Euclidean constructions allow addition, subtraction, multiplication,
division, and square roots, just like a five-function calculator. It
is not very difficult to prove that cube roots don't qualify, in
somewhat the same way that one proves that square root of 2 is
irrational.

Interesting.

> Firstly, it is strange that this
> ratio is always the same number,

This follows logically from the existence of similar triangles, and
therefore of similar polygons enclosing and enclosed by similar
circles. The Archimedean construction works for any size circle in
Euclidean geometry.

Yes, I notice similarity is an important concept here.  There's
the idea of "angles" all being the same, even as we resize
the thing.  The idea comes directly from the visual field in
that as things get further away, they appear smaller, yet we
consider them to have the same shape (a car up close, same
car far away).

On the other hand, and I think this is what confuses some
students: linear distance changes drive a 2nd power change
in surface area and a 3rd power change in volume.  This is
why the ratio of a radius to an enclose area is *not* a linear
constant, let alone an enclosed volume.  You get exponential
curves instead.  Double the radius and the cross section of
the sphere goes up four-fold, the volume of the sphere eight-fold.

Note that "squaring" and "cubing" *need not* be considered
synonyms for 2nd and 3rd powering respectively as it's but
a cultural artifact, an accident of anthropology, that we're
using squares and cubes instead of triangles and tetrahedra
to model these concepts.  Other ethnicities are free to run
on ahead using these latter simpler concepts (less overbuilt).

On the other hand, you are just at the point where we can open up the
discussion of non-Euclidean geometry, where similar triangles are
congruent, and the ratio of circumference to diameter does depend on
size.

Many ways to define non-Euclidean:  several alternative
memeplexes out there, including Karl Mengers "geometry of
lumps" (everything is a lump, including points, lines and planes).

> and secondly, it is strange that pi is not
> a particularly nice number. But we talk about pi like it is a natural number
> (pun intended). It is not.

Not like a natural number. A necessary, unavoidable, and beautiful number.

Remembering to define "number" operationally, not like there's some one
"thing" we all need to point to.

If some culture wants to call Pi an "algorithm" I suppose we'd be curious.
Maybe they're talking about some machine language generator that keeps
spitting out more digits.  They're naming the generator Pi rather than the
end result, as there is no "end" to this result.

For the most part, the concept of "number" is entrenched in many namespaces,
with many belief systems anchoring it.  Some people relate numbers to sets.
Others see sets as but one data structure among many, hardly "the foundation"
of all logic.

> Our students begin to think of math as static and fixed and facts and
> repetition.

That's because of two centuries of teacher training thought of as
factory automation, intended to give students and teachers just enough
skill to work in a factory, store, or office, and not enough to be
able to understand politics and economics, which were the concerns of
the monarchies and aristocracies at the beginning of the Industrial
Revolution, and of corporate owners and management later on. The basic
idea was that every student could be given the same lesson from the
same book on the same day, and the teacher would not have to
understand the subject like a practitioner. It would be enough to
present the lesson as written, and then to check for right answers to
homework using the teachers' edition.

Economics and politics are also teachable in a factory-like manner
such that diplomats and bureaucrats obey the right bosses and say
the right things for the most part (subject to cybernetic feed back).

The responses may be as automatic and unthinking as to those
meaningless "just apply the recipe" math exercises used in the
factory-oriented schools.

When straitjacketed reflex-conditioning no longer does the job,
one tends to have a kind of societal breakdown, at which point
another set of behaviors might kick in.

Ideologies give way, one to the next, a process studied by
George Walford and company in "systematic ideology".

The actual history of math is much more interesting, particularly at
those points where somebody invented more of it, and others got
furious about such nonsense or even blasphemy as

* Irrationals. Legend tells us that the Pythagoreans were so incensed
at one of their number, who proved square root of 2 irrational, that
they threw him overboard from the ship they were on at the time.

Pythagoreans tend to get a bad rap for this ritual murder of an
insider, variously charged with divulging particular secrets ala
Wikileaks (I was just reading about Manning's pre-trial confinement
-- the rule of law has broken down in the west, which is partly
why they're in the streets in Egypt, knowing the west is no
longer a beacon of hope, no longer practices what it preaches
-- no sense waiting for superman).

Often it's the pentagonal dodecahedron our bean spiller gets
blamed for divulging (shades of Pentagon Papers), although in
this day and age we have a hard time remembering why that
particular "insider knowledge" would even be worth something.

No one cares about polyhedrons anymore.

Descartes is believed to have sat on V + F =  E + 2 for fear of
being hunted down and/or summoned to Rome (same diff),
which is why Euler gets the credit in the history books.

* 0, introduced to Europe during the Crusades and denounced by the
Church as blasphemy, which is why 12-hour clocks still start at XII.

The way I learned it, Arabic algorithms made reckoning with
ciphers just too dang easy and the Church was making a tidy
sum doing everyone's book figuring, for which they collected
service fees and other extraneous charges.

This was called "the dark ages" for a reason (the Church tends
to be dreary, especially when complacent).

The idea of Jeffersonian farmers, each landed and independent,
able to keep their own books on PCs, was threatening to
established power, so the use of Algorithmics (aka Iraqi Math
from the Wisdom School in Baghdad) was strictly verboten.

Breaking with Church law (Xtian Sharia) led to the Italian
Renaissance and renewed hope in humanity (until the
Black Plague, which some may have regarded as the
gods' punishment of humans for enjoying enjoying so
Promethean fire).

Please pardon the creative anachronisms in the above
telling (use of contemporary analogies).

* Arabic numerals more generally (Fibonacci). Roman numerals were
perfectly adapted to use with the abacus, which, however, could not
cope with compound interest. Business people did not accept Arabic
numerals until Pascal and Leibniz invented practical mechanical
calculators in the 17th century.

I thought Venice came to power on the backs on the nouveau rich
merchant class who used double-entry bookkeeping with Arabic
algorithms to foster world trade.

From Wikipedia:

Luca Pacioli's "Summa de Arithmetica, Geometria, Proportioni et Proportionalità"
(Italian: "Review of ArithmeticGeometryRatio and Proportion") was first
printed and published in Venice in 1494. It included a 27-page treatise on bookkeeping,
"Particularis de Computis et Scripturis" (Italian: "Details of Calculation and Recording").
It was written primarily for, and sold mainly to, merchants who used the book
as a reference text, as a source of pleasure from the mathematical puzzles it
contained, and to aid the education of their sons. It represents the first known
printed treatise on bookkeeping; and it is widely believed to be the forerunner
of modern bookkeeping practice. In Summa Arithmetica, Pacioli introduced
symbols for plus and minus for the first time in a printed book, symbols that
became standard notation in Italian Renaissance mathematics. Summa Arithmetica
was also the first known book printed in Italy to contain algebra.[32]

* negative numbers (still not used in double-entry bookkeeping).

* imaginary numbers (grudgingly admitted in the solution of cubic
equations in the 17th century, but not fully accepted until the 19th).

Yes, a fascinating chapter.

Nowadays, even the lowly Reals are but a subset of the more glorious and
beautiful Complex Numbers.  Quaternions and Octonions were to later enter
the scene, an tandem with Hermann Grassmann's 'Universal Algebra' (highly
influential on Clifford, Hestenes and so forth).

* non-Euclidean geometry (19th century: Gauss, Riemann, Lobachevsky,
Bolyai vs. "the clamor of the Boeotians").

And in the 20th century we had Karl Menger and topology, which need
not be strictly Euclidean.

The special theory of relativity is not especially Euclidean either in popular
discourse, as the latter has come to be associated with the XYZ coordinate
system and schoolish notions of "dimension" (not in the original Euclid --
XYZ came from later piggy-backing by Euros such as Fermat).

* higher-dimensional geometry (numerous mathematicians vs. Kant)

You say vs. Kant because of Critique of Pure Reason and his notion
that we're subjectively confined to a specific dimensionhood?

Was that three or four dimensions?

The early 20th century was a time of ferment as "the fourth dimension"
struggled for a place in the sun.  Linda Dalrymple Henderson wrote
a definitive book on this subject.

The 4D meme was adopted by more than one school of thought,
Coxeter's among them (Coxeter was at one time a student of
Wittgenstein's in Cambridge, the latter being the great
philosopher of mathematics who helped contextualize
Russell's approach).

* infinite numbers (Cantor vs. Kronecker, and later Brouwer)

* fractal dimension (Hausdorff and Mandelbrot vs. assorted naysayers)

* non-standard arithmetic (Peano vs. Thoralf Skolem)

* infinitesimals (Newton vs. Berkeley, 17th century, until Abraham
Robinson's hyperreal numbers and John Horton Conway's surreal
numbers).

I think the emergence of computer languages was the more practical
mainstream outgrowth of work by Russell, Boole and later Alonso
Church.

Academic math, in divorcing itself from computer science, risked losing
much of its footprint, especially in the early years, where imagination is
so important.

In trying to stay "pure", mathematics marginalized itself to a dangerous
degree.

Fortunately, we now have STEM and needn't march to the purist drummers
anymore.  Hybrids rock.

and much more. There is also the astonishing period from about 1890 to
the 1930s when almost every attempt to define mathematics resulted in
contradiction, until most mathematicians were willing to accept that
any consistent, definable mathematics is necessarily incomplete. There
is of course much more to the story than that.

Nearly a thousand years later, Hindu/Arabic numerals, including 0, and
negative numbers have made it into elementary education, but not any
of the others. Irrationals and imaginaries can be discussed in high
school, but the rest is college-level. Children can't possibly
understand whatever most adults can't cope with. ^_^ But see

http://www.mathman.biz

Calculus by and for young people

Fortunately, given STEM, we get to do more with cryptography and
string processing (XML, DOM).  We don't get stuck on this idea that
mathematics is exclusively about "numbers".  It's also about
character strings, like DNA.

Bioinformatics is driving a lot of the lower level curriculum writing
these days.

Kirby

> Second it took me a while to see (b). I am not giving it away though - it
> was a wonderful ah-ha moment. I walked around with my folded rectangle in my
> pocket.   I am relatively certain that in almost any hs geometry class, the
> teacher would think me slow for not knowing this. (I have found that if I
> teach something over and over the same way - I begin to think everything is
> obvious.)

They say that if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins
to look like a nail. I have found that if all you do is pound nails,
everything begins to look like a hammer.

[Other interesting and valuable comments omitted because I have
nothing to say about them.]

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 2, 2011, 1:30:34 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

With respect to pi not being a natural number, that was indeed just (my attempt on) a pun on both the set N and the fact that we seem to take mathematics for granted.  I love that I can get pi from a circle, sqrt(2) from a square of side 1 and sqrt(3) from an equilateral triangle of side 2 or a rhombus with a diagonal and sides 1 (just made a P2PU 45 second challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRd5dKQQvU)

Ed – do I have to register to read?

Rob - too much explanation. I sort of understand this in K-7 (Do I or do I not show the resulting rhombus in my video?). I do not understand “too much explanation” in algebra. That is, I do not understand the logistics, e.g. what might be a specific sample class that gives too much explanation, what is a possible solution?

With respect to “rich problems”. Here is my take – yet again.

I just this moment googled  rich problems mathematics  and below is the first actual problem in the top link. I could understand the words so I thought “I will give it a try.” to see if it is possible that new and better rich problems have been developed since I last looked.

City Hall has a rectangular lobby with a floor of black and white tiles. The tiles are square, in a checkerboard pattern, lined up with the walls: 93 tiles in one direction and 231 in the other. There are two mouse holes, at diagonally opposite corners of the floor. One night a mouse comes out of one mouse hole and runs straight across the floor, and into the other mouse hole. How many tiles does the mouse run across? A complete solution and handouts are provided.

Question: What is this teaching? How can I possible get started thinking about it?  (I tried drawing it and gave up immediately – the grid was incredibly small. I tried finding the gcd to reduce it – it is 3 so not much of a reduction.) Do I count 2 tiles or 4 tiles if the mouse crosses a diagonal point? How long will I spend setting it up before any math comes up?  Argh!

And speaking of teaching and learning math …. Here is the link for the article on math sophistication in Maria’s note about Ko’s class: http://ed526b.wikispaces.com/file/view/Mathematical_Sophistication.PDF

Please scroll down to page 9 and then page 10.

Am I nuts?

MMSI Sample problem 2 so offends me mathematically I can almost scream. Either set HF1=0 or start at HF1=6.  I don’t understand how HF1=1 and even if I did, I wouldn’t write that in this problem. It is deliberately confusing.

Are people altruistic? (ok - I have been reading super freakonomics)

MMSI Sample problem 3 sounds like the “Are people altruistic?” survey. Hmm –I wonder what the “correct” answer is? Do I actually have to spend time? No? Then, let me choose the one where I look like I am interested.

BTW: How on earth can you “make a guess about how other functions might be used to model data”? I can understand making a guess that other functions might model other kinds of data, e.g. “Hey, maybe some data is better modeled by an exponential function?”  and I can understand asking whether or how other …..  But I would be quite interested in how one makes a guess about how …

I did like the first sample problem and I think the hypothesis and conclusions of the article very important, but I would certainly want to see all the questions before drawing any firm conclusions.

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 2, 2011, 1:47:16 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

for the example of the rich problem, you may find this useful:

The applet allows for an easy modifications of the "hall" and helps explain the solution.

Alex

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 2, 2011, 1:53:05 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Yes – so why can the problem say 6x11 and not 231x93? I totally agree.

Feb 2, 2011, 2:40:04 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
The reason may be in that I never red that "rich" problem in the first place. I also think it's unrealistic for a City Hall to be so void of furniture as to allow straight diagonal runs. The applet only shows the rectangles of maximum side lengths of 50.

Mike South

Feb 2, 2011, 2:40:59 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska <lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes – so why can the problem say 6x11 and not 231x93? I totally agree.

Because part of what they're trying to do is get you learn the "solve a simpler problem" technique.  First thing to do with something like that is to make an easier version of the problem yourself, something you can draw and see all at once.

Note that I'm not defending the logic, just explaining it.

If you make a 2x2 square you have to know how the mouse puts its fee down in order to answer.

mike

Mike South

Feb 2, 2011, 2:42:08 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Alexander Bogomolny <abo...@gmail.com> wrote:
The reason may be in that I never red that "rich" problem in the first place. I also think it's unrealistic for a City Hall to be so void of furniture as to allow straight diagonal runs.

Prepend the text "In order to prepare for a renovation, all furniture has been removed" :).

It's math, we're making it up as we go along.

mike

kirby urner

Feb 2, 2011, 3:20:47 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to add to this thread that teachers of mathematics
sometimes seem too conditioned to make everything "a problem".

There's also the space of tourism, of getting a sense of the
land before landing.  Orbit the planet a few times before putting
down.  In this sense, mathematics might be more purely
discursive, even if didactic.

In the trade book world, adults may return to mathematics for
entertainment and inspiration in ways we wish we saw more
of in the early days.  The emphasis is on overview, storytelling,
connecting the dots.  Nothing at all like a textbook.

But in the early days it's all about problems, problems, problems,
with tests to follow (then exercises for homework).  The adults
complain that too many fail to bear up under this kind of torture.
Don't they appreciate the sublime beauty of math?  What's
with the bad attitude?

In history class, you might just be assigned to read about some
period in history (fancy that).  That's a lot like watching TV, if you
have an active imagination.

These days, a teacher is just as likely to assign a movie, such
as 'Beyond Rangoon', knowing the community theater has
synced up with the syllabus for some matinee showings, and
the kids just need to walk a few blocks down the street to show
a pass and take it in (like from LEP High to Laurelhurst Theater).

"Math anxiety" stems from always being on the spot to *do*
something, to perform.  Usually in front of one's peers.

One's abilities are judged and assessed in front of a group.

The orchestra stops, all eyes are on you.  Have you learned
the aria?  At school they just shove work at you that you're
expected to do, for free no less.  Then they all run around
decrying the evils of child labor.  Are adults making sense,
even to themselves?

The teacher tends to exude a kind of moral judgement, as the
impatience level rises and its time to move on.  Those that just
couldn't get logarithms are left behind, perhaps to *never* get
logarithms (let alone trig) and hence to lose access to some
jobs, say in money and finance.

There's a loss of face.  It's like not being able to learn Japanese.

Indeed, math class is a subcategory of language class, a lot
like Spanish or Russian.  There's memorization and then
there's puzzling through, which is a lot like finding the right
verb forms to define tense and person.  Algebra is a grammar
(many algebras, many grammars).

They used to learn Latin just to get a handle on its grammar,
then apply that logic to their understanding of English, more of a
hodge podge, a kingdom of irregularities.  It's like coming to
Windows after reading Linux for awhile:  you feel like you
understand Windows better too (except the Registry, what's
that about -- like Synaptic?).

I'm not surprised, in retrospect, that the Lex Institute would
come to see it this way too, and apply language learning principles
in 'Who is Fourier?', one of the better math books for those
learning wave form decomposition into constituent primitives,
variously mixed (additively, after scaling).

My curriculum writing experiments suggest that we'd do a lot
better by bringing more of the storytelling back into STEM.

When do they get to read 'Lives of the Cell' by Lewis Thomas.
How about 'It's a Beautiful Mind' with critical commentary?
'Good Will Hunting' is also about maths in an academic setting
-- an anthropological study, maths having their characteristic
ethnicities, just like any practice or tradition.

Imagine a math lab where one day a week (at least) you just
got to tour some vista, perhaps that of Fractals and/or Chaos,
not worrying you'd be called upon to *do* anything right away.
Perhaps we study mathematics in science fiction, scanning
the web for sample mentions of "tesseracts" and/or "hypercubes".
We look a clips, interview talking heads in their think tanks
(disturbing image, sorry).

On the door, our motto:  Mathematics:  Not a Problem.  Just
dissonant enough to get 'em thinking.

Skeptical teachers would question us:  "don't they learn any
problem solving skills at all?" they pester, "what about long
division?".

Well of course they do.  We call it "girl scout math" in some
circles and they learn lots of practical things, about how
many bags of oats and lentils it might take to fuel a cyclist
across a desert, how much water.

The weight of the supplies themselves is a factor as it takes
calories to pull calories, but then the load gradually lightens.

Jet airplane pilots get to make similar calculations:  the
load lightens as the fuel burns.  Sounds like first person
physics, and that it is.

We bounce around inside STEM, learning GIS/GPS, how
to make fires in the rain.

Anyway, I want to keep speaking up for a synergetic mix of
problem solving mixed with a more storytelling approach.
That way we might have "rich storytelling" that doesn't
automatically translate into some "rich problem solving",
raising stress levels unnecessarily.  You can get some
of that "richness" by just going to a movie palace and
eating popcorn, at least sometimes.

I think Disney did a lot to trail blaze some of the pedagogy
we'll want to use, thinking of the 1950s 'Donald Duck in
Mathland'.

OK, I must contact Anna and see if I'm still on track to
join her Elluminate session.  Thanks for the interesting
chatter about "rich problem solving", to which I'm adding
"rich storytelling".

Kirby

Costello, Rob R

Feb 2, 2011, 11:12:25 PM2/2/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

HI Linda,

i really was just making general comment on your approach

"I don't mind being confused and trying to figure out what confuses me. How do we bring this into the classroom - into the teacher's and student's psyche? The skepticism and the wanting to wonder, to explore, to prove, to make mistakes and by continuing to test, find and correct our mistakes is important."

i like that sort of mindset : like you i spend a lot of time with GeoGebra (and formerly with Scratch and various introductory programming environments - trying to seed something of these possibilities for kids) - something about constructing with these tools opens that approach up for me

recently read Donald Knuths paper : "computer science and its relation to mathematics"(1974) which is an interesting take on it all - (before there were many computers in schools) but sometimes feels like school curricula hasn't really got much further down the track in thrashing out its idea of the relationship

how do you do that with particular classes? ... i'm not going to pretend i have the answers there; your experiments and approaches sound good; i was just meaning to agree with the experimental mindset that these tools can help open up

instruction does make for efficient learning : but sometimes overly sculpts the thinking : the tightrope a teacher walks on i guess :)

there's a book called All the Green Year, fictional account of growing up in the 30s, and the narrator describes a turn for the better in his maths class, when a new teacher arrived

"she taught simultaneous so well i believed i had discovered the art for myself"

wouldn't mind watching that :)

cheers

rob

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 8:18:00 AM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska <lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

These are exactly the sort of questions that make the problem rich.

  • How can I represent something that is larger than my paper? How DO people visualize billions or parsecs, anyway?!!!
  • GCD does not work. Now what?
  • There is ambiguity about corners. What is the appropriate math way to deal with such ambiguities?
  • How long will this problem take me? How can I manage my time?
Being able to deal with such tasks is definitely a part of MATH PROFICIENCY in my book.

There is a relatively old and developed tradition of problem solving in Olympiad and Math Circle communities. If you want to learn more, there is a free book called "Circle in a Box" that has good examples:
http://www.mathcircles.org/GettingStartedForNewOrganizers_WhatIsAMathCircle_CircleInABox

A more classic list for dealing with these issues comes from Polya's "How to solve it" (1948): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Solve_It

And I can tell you my rule of thumb for "how long to spend before math comes up" - for a good problem, it's quarter to half an hour of context investigation and "image making" before formal math starts to emerge.

And speaking of teaching and learning math …. Here is the link for the article on math sophistication in Maria’s note about Ko’s class: http://ed526b.wikispaces.com/file/view/Mathematical_Sophistication.PDF

Please scroll down to page 9 and then page 10.

Am I nuts?

Can you please talk a bit more about your reaction? The authors of the paper may be interested to hear it, too.

Cheers,
MariaD

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 3, 2011, 5:20:17 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Rob, I like your line: == the tightrope a teacher walks on i guess == No kidding and usually without any training.

Please can you give me a link to any of your stuff from Scratch or GeoGebra? These are my most absolutely favorite programs for getting kids engaged. I use these programs to test everything and encourage my kids (college students in computer science who do not even know how to enter math on a computer!!!) to use these to understand/check/test their work. I use scratch to test most anything with probability. Do your kids try to make their own stuff? I have pretty good luck getting my kids to make small simulators like this: http://geogebrawiki.wikispaces.com/DIY+Simulator+of+Boats+Colliding.   I wanted my kids to make this:  http://tinyurl.com/67bjgrz  with scratch but that did not go so well.

Rich problems:

Let me see if I get this (and yes I realize I am being particularly simplistic and obtuse).

1.       A rich problem is a normal problem that we (a) add an unlikely story, (b) make completely unwieldy and (c) make deliberately ambiguous  just so we can spend valuable class time to (a) find a simpler problem that we can handle, (b) remove the ambiguities for the moment and (c) draw a mathematical simulation (thus taking away the story.)  - i.e. in this case,  get them to reduce it to Alex’s problem. Meanwhile, this takes great skill on the part of the teacher, keeping them on task - particularly in a classroom of 25 children -  without just resorting to just giving them Alex’s problem.

2.       So why not just start with a normal problem like  Alex’s and work up to a rich problem? If you want, make it into a board game with movable tiles and use either a stick or a  laser pointer for the line.  Work on that and get some results. Then have the kids create their rich problems with their own unlikely stories (which automatically creates ambiguities and unwieldy expansions),  tell them they must actually solve their problem  and then do an “exchange” with other kids in classroom.

Anyway – for the sake of argument – l will accept that rich problems have value. Frontal instruction (teacher teaching) has value and there is plenty – if not more- valid research to back up that assertion. Testing has value and there is lots of research that backs up that assertion.

Also – for the sake of argument – I am going to assume rich problem advocates know that there are children like me. I like small problems and breaking big problems into small problems. This is a totally different concept than rich problems! Most problems are small in life. We don’t really do too much with gazillions and parsecs. And I don’t see how unwieldy problems help me understand functions, limits, asymptotes, infinity ... (I have yet to see a rich problem that helps me there.)

Relating  all of this – I think there must be variety of teaching methods used. Off the top of my head - Let Monday be “frontal instruction day”. Let Tuesday be “kill and drill day”. The Wednesday be “small problems day. Let Thursday be “rich problems day”. Let Friday be “test day” where everybody gives problems to everybody day (including students get to make up (and first solve themselves) and then give problems to their teachers).

--- A Wednesday problem - realistic solvable interesting problem. I love this problem (and it is a great DIY simulator in GeoGebra) I learned a ton of stuff from it, David Cox’s kids had fun figuring out how to crash the boats….

Scenario:  Two ships are sailing in the fog and are being monitored by tracing equipment. As they come into the observer's rectangular radar screen, one ship, the Rusty Tube, is at a point 900 mm to the right of the bottom left corner of the radar screen along the lower edge. The other ship, the Bucket of Bolts, is located at a point 100 mm above the lower left corner of that screen. One minute later, both ships' positions have changed. The Rusty Tube has moved to a position on the screen 3 mm left and 2 mm above its previous position on the radar screen. Meanwhile, the Bucket of Bolts has moved to a position 4 mm right and 1 mm above its previous location on that screen.

Kirby – I have to admit I didn’t read all of your words, but a couple of things stuck.

The teacher tends to exude a kind of moral judgment, as the impatience level rises and it’s time to move on. I told my son “I will pay for your college education as long as you don’t go to the college of natural math and science.” The reason is that I was so worried  - not that he wouldn’t graduate (he is stubborn like his dad; luckily not argumentative like his mother), but rather that they would kill his ability to think. Not just moral judgment and superiority (engineers have these too), but also an unwillingness to tolerate skepticism and teach mistakes testing/checking – my original thought for this thread.

My experience is that they do not teach problem “solving” so much as they teach problem “realizing”. They have no consistent approach to looking at a problem. Rather they have solved so many problems that they can “see” the way to go. This is another complaint I have with “rich problems”. If I am a teacher and  I have to check out the handout in order to solve the problem, then it is too rich.

Kirby I wonder about problem solving. Children love to solve problems and overcome difficulties – until we take that love from them. I don’t think the problem is “problems”. But I don’t know exactly what happens.

---------------

MariaMy experience here with Olympiads is totally negative (see brown text above). So I definitely don’t want to go there.

My reaction was to 2 of the 3 sample questions presented and I gave my reasons for thinking both #2 and #3 inappropriate under “Am I nuts?”. I also did not like #1 (it seems typical of the kind of problem/answers that students abhor about mathematics), but its content was in line with the goals of the survey (in my opinion). However #2 and #3 are a different story and my reasoning is in the thread. (Further they use HF like it is accepted terminology for “hexagonal factor”.  So I went and looked everywhere online for it. It is not.)  I first heard of “mathematical sophistication” about 40 years ago when I wanted to take General Topology when I was 18. I fulfilled the prerequisites, but my guidance counselor did not think that I had the “mathematical sophistication”. (Of course I worked my ass off to prove him wrong and learned so much that to this day I am grateful to him.) Anyway the term stuck in my mind as a useful way of describing an important quality and hence my interest in the article.

I go on and on…. My apologies. Linda

>> The actual history of math is much more interesting, particularly at
>> those points where somebody invented more of it, and others got
>> furious about such nonsense or even blasphemy as

>> * 0, introduced to Europe during the Crusades and denounced by the
>> Church as blasphemy, which is why 12-hour clocks still start at XII.
>
> The way I learned it, Arabic algorithms made reckoning with
> ciphers just too dang easy and the Church was making a tidy
> sum doing everyone's book figuring, for which they collected
> service fees and other extraneous charges.
> This was called "the dark ages" for a reason (the Church tends
> to be dreary, especially when complacent).

You raise complicated questions covering the period from Charlemagne's
ninth-century schools and proto-Renaissance through the second
proto-Renaissance in Spain in the 11th century, to the definitive one
in 1453, when Greeks fleeing from Ottoman Turkish conquest met with
the new-fangled printing press in Italy, where Aldus Manutius created
the first Greek printer's font. Questions of great interest to me,
which I will not go into today, except to quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu-Arabic_numeral_system#Adoption_in_Europe

"Fibonacci's introduction of the system to Europe was restricted to
learned circles. The credit of first establishing widespread
understanding and usage of the decimal positional notation among the
general population goes to Adam Ries, an author of the German
Renaissance, whose 1522 Rechenung auff der linihen und federn was
targeted at the apprentices of businessmen and craftsmen."

It took another generation to get businesses in general to start
switching over in significant numbers, and the process was not
complete until the invention of practical decimal calculators.

> The idea of Jeffersonian farmers, each landed and independent,
> able to keep their own books on PCs, was threatening to
> established power, so the use of Algorithmics (aka Iraqi Math
> from the Wisdom School in Baghdad) was strictly verboten.
> Breaking with Church law (Xtian Sharia) led to the Italian
> Renaissance and renewed hope in humanity (until the
> Black Plague, which some may have regarded as the
> gods' punishment of humans for enjoying enjoying so
> Promethean fire).
>
> Please pardon the creative anachronisms in the above
> telling (use of contemporary analogies).

OK.

>> * Arabic numerals more generally (Fibonacci). Roman numerals were
>> perfectly adapted to use with the abacus, which, however, could not
>> cope with compound interest. Business people did not accept Arabic
>> numerals until Pascal and Leibniz invented practical mechanical
>> calculators in the 17th century.
>
> I thought Venice came to power on the backs on the nouveau rich
> merchant class who used double-entry bookkeeping with Arabic
> algorithms to foster world trade.

True, and it is also true that Luca Pacioli used Arabic numerals in
his treatise.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uQ9AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Ancient+Double+Entry+Bookkeeping:+Lucas+Pacioli+Treatise&hl=es-419&ei=0ClLTfGhFoutgQfzzeH0Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

But the merchants translated Luca's methods back into Roman numerals.

> From Wikipedia:
> Luca Pacioli's "Summa de Arithmetica, Geometria, Proportioni et
> Proportionalità"
> (Italian: "Review of Arithmetic, Geometry, Ratio and Proportion") was first
> printed and published in Venice in 1494. It included a
> 27-page treatise on bookkeeping,
> "Particularis de Computis et Scripturis" (Italian: "Details of Calculation
> and Recording").
> It was written primarily for, and sold mainly to, merchants who used the
> book
> as a reference text, as a source of pleasure from the mathematical
> puzzles it
> contained, and to aid the education of their sons. It represents the first
> known
> printed treatise on bookkeeping; and it is widely believed to be the
> forerunner
> of modern bookkeeping practice. In Summa Arithmetica, Pacioli introduced
> symbols for plus and minus for the first time in a printed book, symbols
> that
> became standard notation in Italian Renaissance mathematics. Summa
> Arithmetica
> was also the first known book printed in Italy to contain algebra.[32]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accountancy#Luca_Pacioli_and_double-entry_bookkeeping
>>
>> * negative numbers (still not used in double-entry bookkeeping).

>> * higher-dimensional geometry (numerous mathematicians vs. Kant)
>
> You say vs. Kant because of Critique of Pure Reason and his notion
> that we're subjectively confined to a specific dimensionhood?
> Was that three or four dimensions?

Three.

> The early 20th century was a time of ferment as "the fourth dimension"
> struggled for a place in the sun.  Linda Dalrymple Henderson wrote
> a definitive book on this subject.
> The 4D meme was adopted by more than one school of thought,
> Coxeter's among them (Coxeter was at one time a student of
> Wittgenstein's in Cambridge, the latter being the great
> philosopher of mathematics who helped contextualize
> Russell's approach).

Coxeter wrote an excellent introduction to

kirby urner

Feb 3, 2011, 5:40:27 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Kirby – I have to admit I didn’t read all of your words, but a couple of things stuck.

That's OK Linda, it was pretty abstruse.

Mainly I just want mathematics to be an
around-the-campfire storytelling experience
sometimes, not always just problems, problems
and more problems.

The teacher tends to exude a kind of moral judgment, as the impatience level rises and it’s time to move on. I told my son “I will pay for your college education as long as you don’t go to the college of natural math and science.” The reason is that I was so worried  - not that he wouldn’t graduate (he is stubborn like his dad; luckily not argumentative like his mother), but rather that they would kill his ability to think. Not just moral judgment and superiority (engineers have these too), but also an unwillingness to tolerate skepticism and teach mistakes testing/checking – my original thought for this thread.

"College of Natural Math and Science" sounds a bit fictional, like Hogwarts.

Does it translate to mean STEM? (the current buzz word).

Education (always learning) should be the continuing default experience -- whether we call it "school" or not -- punctuated by jobs / tasks / projects.

Work / study is for life (and includes play).  Welcome to the Global U.

My experience is that they do not teach problem “solving” so much as they teach problem “realizing”. They have no consistent approach to looking at a problem. Rather they have solved so many problems that they can “see” the way to go. This is another complaint I have with “rich problems”. If I am a teacher and  I have to check out the handout in order to solve the problem, then it is too rich.

Kirby I wonder about problem solving. Children love to solve problems and overcome difficulties – until we take that love from them. I don’t think the problem is “problems”. But I don’t know exactly what happens.

A big question is always what freedoms does one have in choosing one's problems (battles, causes, projects, campaigns).

A lot of the problems feel like busy work and / or playing the violin as Rome burns.

The best students get impatient when the problems set before them do not have the look and feel of problems needing to be solved.

This is where storytelling comes in.  We owe them more background, need to set the stage.

Neither "math is so beautiful" nor "math helps you make money" campaigns should be expected to carry the day alone or together.

Kirby

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 6:42:03 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, Carol Seaman CESEAMAN
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska <lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rich problems:

Let me see if I get this (and yes I realize I am being particularly simplistic and obtuse).

What follows is an EXCELLENT explanation of how rich/Olympiad problems feel to the person of the type we shall name after Linda, when we build the mother of all learning type taxonomies :-)

1.       A rich problem is a normal problem that we (a) add an unlikely story, (b) make completely unwieldy and (c) make deliberately ambiguous  just so we can spend valuable class time to (a) find a simpler problem that we can handle, (b) remove the ambiguities for the moment and (c) draw a mathematical simulation (thus taking away the story.)  - i.e. in this case,  get them to reduce it to Alex’s problem. Meanwhile, this takes great skill on the part of the teacher, keeping them on task - particularly in a classroom of 25 children -  without just resorting to just giving them Alex’s problem.

In my estimation, somewhere from 2 to 5 percent of the population are currently target audience for rich/Olympiad problem solving. This number is higher in the Silicon Valley-like places.

I could share how someone who loves such problems views them, in parallel to the above list, but I don't see a point. It is sufficient to say that there is a minority of people in each generation, rapidly growing in some places in the world, who find that math, possibly all learning, is all about solving rich problem.

An excellent online community for these people is The Art of Problem Solving. I interviewed its founder Richard Rusczik last year: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/Art+of+Problem+Solving He said it's NOT a good idea to do this sort of work with everybody in general classes, and he does not attempt it. It's also a bad idea not to teach "his" kids this way, and in his opinion, mainstream ed groups like NCTM don't understand their needs and don't aim to help them.

---------------

MariaMy experience here with Olympiads is totally negative (see brown text above). So I definitely don’t want to go there.

Naturally.

My reaction was to 2 of the 3 sample questions presented and I gave my reasons for thinking both #2 and #3 inappropriate under “Am I nuts?”. I also did not like #1 (it seems typical of the kind of problem/answers that students abhor about mathematics), but its content was in line with the goals of the survey (in my opinion). However #2 and #3 are a different story and my reasoning is in the thread. (Further they use HF like it is accepted terminology for “hexagonal factor”.  So I went and looked everywhere online for it. It is not.)

Problem number 2 is the following picture:

http://screencast.com/t/Uyb1c3gIB3t

Linda, you write: "MMSI Sample problem 2 so offends me mathematically I can almost scream. Either set HF1=0 or start at HF1=6.  I don’t understand how HF1=1 and even if I did, I wouldn’t write that in this problem. It is deliberately confusing."

This problem has a target audience, for whom it's not confusing - or maybe, I should say, it's a pleasant tease and challenge, rather than "get me out of here" confusion. What these people accept that you don't?

  • Made-up words and definitions
  • Numeration of sequences starting from a random point; you say it HAS to start with HF1=0; these people would say "or we could claim HF225=1 and go from there, because we defined it so"
  • "Patterning" (for the lack of better word) - that is, definitions from examples rather than top-down deductive (Greek) style
My seven-year-olds today concluded that they can clearly see infinity in every eye. To get there, they spent about 2 hours, over two meetings, drawing and discussing infinity in different ways. That involved a lot of acceptance of other people's made-up definitions and a lot of patterning. We are heading for sequence numeration next week :-) But we aren't doing what Richard does with his problem-solving kiddies.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26208371@N06/tags/naturalmathclub01272011/show/

Cheers,
MariaD

kirby urner

Feb 3, 2011, 6:46:29 PM2/3/11
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Maria Droujkova <drou...@gmail.com> wrote:
ck of better word) - that is, definitions from examples rather than top-down deductive (Greek) style

My seven-year-olds today concluded that they can clearly see infinity in every eye. To get there, they spent about 2 hours, over two meetings, drawing and discussing infinity in different ways. That involved a lot of acceptance of other people's made-up definitions and a lot of patterning. We are heading for sequence numeration next week :-) But we aren't doing what Richard does with his problem-solving kiddies.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26208371@N06/tags/naturalmathclub01272011/show/

Cheers,
MariaD

I'd be interested if you have seven-year-olds in other groups, or groups of other ages, who come to a different conclusion re infinity and eyes.

How much diversity have you experienced on this issue?

Kirby

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 6:54:05 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

There is a conversation at the Natural Math list, which came from Carol Cross's P2PU psychology of learning mathematics course, about divergent and convergent thinking: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/naturalmath/yW5Pdr8_WhI

I start from the premise that we need a flow channel growing and expanding BOTH divergent and convergent thinking: http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/Flow+Channels

In particular, all activities I design have strong divergent components that produce a lot of diversity in student outputs. But we also go for people understanding one another. I think this is the area where "problem-solving people" could do much better than they currently do, judging by Linda's reaction.

Cheers,
MariaD

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 3, 2011, 6:55:29 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria,

in this discussion of the HF numbers I side with Linda.

My mind would accept any kind of definition - arbitrary, plausible, what not. If I were younger I would probably take part in Richard Rusczik's community.

I still have trouble with that particular problem. I have absolutely no doubt that the guys who posed it have been confused. The first hexagonal number is indeed 1, but the first "hexagonal frame" number needs to be 0. They certainly had in mind some simple formula, and such a formula - 6(n-1) - covers n = 1 only of HF_1 = 0.

Alex

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 7:10:28 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, Carol Seaman CESEAMAN
Don't about half of the number theory theorems have exceptions for the first (or zeroth) member of the sequence?

The formula I see is:
6(n-1) for n>1
1 for n=1

I am CCing Carol, one of the authors of the paper, who can probably shed some light on the issue for us. The pattern makes geometric sense to me as an extension of "dot hexagons" to the left.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 3, 2011, 7:24:47 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Yes, sure. There are piecewise definitions.

It's just when you invoke visual imaging you should stick with it, or at least I believe so. Othwerwise, it is a hacked attempt to sow deliberate confusion.

However, let's look again at those numbers. I would imagine that visually this is the last/outside layer of the common visual representation of the hexagonal numbers. If I go on to claim that any hexagonal number has an outside layer then I should probably consider this to be true for the first hexagonal number, which is 1. There are two possibilities: one dot is a "core" and the outside layer is empty, or the outside layer consists of this one dot while the core is empty. If you look at the representation of the hexagonal numbers, say, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HexagonalNumber.html, then, except for the first one, none of them has a dot in the center. So, well, it does make sense to associate it with the outside layer and leave the core empty.

A counterintuitive curiosity, if you ask me.

Alex

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 7:30:42 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com, Carol Seaman CESEAMAN
Your explanation makes sense, Alex, and I see the point.

Is it a proper paradox?

Incidentally, the issue of the first number in the sequence seems to have no bearing on the question there: "What is HF4?"

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 3, 2011, 7:40:35 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally, the issue of the first number in the sequence seems to have no bearing on the question there: "What is HF4?"

It certainly does because without the visual clues this is unreasonable to expect anybody to perceive 18 as the 4th term in the sequence 1, 6, 12. Clearly this is the source of Linda's ire.

Alex

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2011, 7:51:38 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

It took me, what, five emails to even become aware of the ambiguity there. I think I am that "anybody."

Suppose we replace the first term with an empty spot. What will the fourth term be then? I say it will be the same.

Cheers,
MariaD

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 3, 2011, 7:58:12 PM2/3/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Then, I am sure, Linda would have had no problem guessing the missing term.

They show you this one dot and expect you to ignore it. But then why show it in the first place?

This is my understanding of Linda's problem.

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 4, 2011, 3:33:45 AM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Sorry – Linda went to bed :)  But your discussion Alex and Maria was great and clear (and without my droning on and on.)

I don’t object specifically to setting HF1=1. Certainly we CAN define a pathological (degenerative) element anyway we want. And this is indeed an interesting discussion point in a “non-testing” situation just as we discuss here whether a paper plate is 2D or 3D. And of course we must learn to “deal with” outliers. This too is important.

=

However, in the context of (a) survey question  with limited explanation and pictures, (b) a question aimed toward JUDGING  mathematical sophistication among “non-mathematicians” and (c) a question whose conclusion clearly requires seeing “6-sidedness” and concluding “adding 6”, I think it is inappropriate to introduce a “discussable factor”, particularly as it gives a non-standard arithmetic series (unless of course this was their goal – in which case they should explicitly state that and all of the consequences of such a decision).

(Not to mention all the problems in the future when we give these students the general term of an arithmetic sequence (an=6n) and tell them to write out the first 4 terms and give an example of where such a sequence might arise…)

==

Also, creating the impression that “hexagonal factor” is standard formal terminology is not appropriate anywhere (in my opinion).

==

So much fun to discuss, Linda

Feb 4, 2011, 6:32:20 AM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Oh Maria, you can’t name it after me – Linda means “pretty” in Spanish and that would create bias :)

My REAL problem is the “either/or”.  Why can’t we do a bit of everything? Use varied teaching methods. I understand that kill and drill is boring. Learning to parallel park is really boring. But it must be done. However good driving skills and enjoying driving includes much other learning.

Also, I would like to point out that Linda the person has not formed an opinion on rich problems. This is Linda the math teacher speaking. I find teaching rich problems a very slow go (see below). And I think most students have a hard go at it, but I would be willing to consider that this might be a training/expectations problem.

There are many types and approaches to learning problem solving. Being able to “realize” problems after killing and drilling a whole bunch is probably the worst. But being able to work with and solve rich problems is not a sign of mathematical genius. I get the impression that some people think so and discard others as mathematically unworthy. Neither is being able to work with and solve standard problems is not a sign of future success in life. But “standards” people think so and swat away the thinking of others as useless in a market economy.

Using a variety of teaching methods would ameliorate lots of teaching problems too. I actually am good at frontal instruction and can interact in mathematics with a large group of students and see what is working and what is not. But I stink at letting people explore and discover (even though I myself explore ALL the time).  So my classes are over-organized. That is why I suggested the M-F idea. Every so often, force me to give a rich problem and make me sit at my desk for 15 minutes while the kiddies work.

Also my experience with Olympiads is not a personal experience – it is a teacher experience. The kids get so discouraged by the Olympiads that I know longer recommend that they go. Grades 1-4 here are taught by persons with a degree in education (2 courses in mathematics methodology and one course in mathematics). We have gotten aid from the US and our 1-4 curriculum has been heavily influenced by the “rich problems and let’s get them started with variables before they know how to count and no need to memorize the multiplication tables” theories. Then in 5-12 they get teachers with degrees in theoretical mathematics (and although now there is a mathematics-education degrees – the professors are still theoretical mathematicians). This attitude and training difference is astronomical. In 9-12, the math curriculum remains extremely old world (content and memorization heavy) PLUS statistics/probability has been added. This dichotomy has proven unbelievably difficult and the quality of students I get (college mathematics) is now unbelievably poor.

Sorry – Linda went to bed :)  But your discussion Alex and Maria was great and clear (and without my droning on and on.)

I don’t object specifically to setting HF1=1.

Linda, if the problem were stated identically, except the first member of the sequence was empty space and HF1=0, would it help you to solve for HF4?

Cheers,
MariaD

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 4, 2011, 7:33:01 AM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

It is/was obvious to me from the answers given that they “want” the answer with 18.

The point is not whether I can answer it, but whether the question is appropriate for this survey.

----

If you are asking me as a person off the street I would say “What??”

If you are asking me as a teacher of K-6, I probably would say HF1 should be 1.

If you are asking me as a teacher of 7-13, I would immediately say HF1=0.

If you are asking me as a mathematician, again I would say “neither” definition is totally correct.

This is my complaint against the problem.

It is mathematically and statistically that I am offended.

1.       The goal of the survey is to determine mathematical sophistication of non-mathematics people.

2.       From the list of answers, I believe the focus of this problem is whether you can logically determine the pattern 6,12,18.

Statistically:

(a)    Survey questions should be carefully formulated towards their goal. Having HF1=1 (OR HF1=0) is a distraction and this distraction makes the problem inappropriate. (And using the language “hexagonal factor” is inappropriate – it add pedagogical “weight” to the definition.)

Mathematically,

(b)   There is no way to logically determine the next member of the sequence: 1,6,12,?. One can only guess – so how does this indicate mathematical sophistication?

(c)    If asked for a written explanation of your choice (as opposed to being required to circle an answer), what would you say? “I discarded the first hexagonal factor.”?  Oh my gosh – a non-mathematical person Is never going to take the risk of saying that to a math person.

Sorry – not a simple answer to your question :)

It is/was obvious to me from the answers given that they “want” the answer with 18.

The point is not whether I can answer it, but whether the question is appropriate for this survey.

Has anyone here argued for any possible answer beside 18 OR was unable to reach 18? I am just curious. If not, it means we share some sort of consensual understanding about the nature of the question and the correct answer.

Cheers,
MariaD

kirby urner

Feb 4, 2011, 12:06:12 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska <lfah...@gmail.com> wrote:

It is/was obvious to me from the answers given that they “want” the answer with 18.

The point is not whether I can answer it, but whether the question is appropriate for this survey.

----

If you are asking me as a person off the street I would say “What??”

If you are asking me as a teacher of K-6, I probably would say HF1 should be 1.

If you are asking me as a teacher of 7-13, I would immediately say HF1=0.

If you are asking me as a mathematician, again I would say “neither” definition is totally correct.

This is my complaint against the problem.

It is mathematically and statistically that I am offended.

I'm similarly offended by a survey on math-teach, where the challenge is to "double
the size of a square" and most people simply double each edge, resulting is a
square of 4x the original.  In my view, the instructions are ambiguous and there's
wiggle room for such answers.

I do like number sequences with a geometric basis however, ala 'The Book
of Numbers' by Conway and Guy, and 'Gnomon' by Midhat Gazale.  I like
how these relate sometime figurative to an algebraic rule, without needing
to get into XYZ coordinates or other point-positioning framework.

Going to OEIS and looking up 1, 12, 42, 92... is standard practice in my
neck of the woods.  Much storytelling to follow (stories which may
encourage doodling and tinkering, but not necessarily "brain twisters"
at every turn, as the goal is to encourage "day dreaming" about
STEM topics).

Kirby

Alexander Bogomolny

Feb 4, 2011, 12:18:42 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Edward Cherlin

Feb 4, 2011, 1:16:14 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On the Car Talk radio show, this is known as "obfuscating" the weekly Puzzler.

Did you ever hear about the physicist who (in legend) claimed in court that the red light looked green to him because of blue shift, so they shouldn't fine him for running the red light? The judge gave him a severe sentence for speeding, considering that blue-shifting red to green means he was going at something like .9 c. (Take ratio of frequencies, then solve r= (1-(v^2)/(c^2))^(1/2) for v, getting c(1-r^2)^(1/2).)

I have maintained for some time that we should use sports statistics and physics for our "real-world" rich examples, allowing each student to choose a sport of particular interest: men's or women's; school, Olympic, or pro; baseball, basketball, football, cricket, soccer...and then move on to economics and politics that affect the student or others in the students' families directly. Those who are resolutely uninterested in sports will have some other subject of intense interest.

Edward Cherlin

Feb 4, 2011, 1:21:09 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
It occurred to me yesterday to ask whether people here consider e to
be a natural number, considering that it is the base of the natural
logarithms.

Once there was a mathematical tree with square roots. It woke up one
day and said, "Gee, I'm a tree!" But they cut it down to make log
tables.

Told to me by my father, a Ph. D. mathematician.

kirby urner

Feb 4, 2011, 3:13:21 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Yes Alex, I went through that just now, a first pass.

Thanks!

Interesting spin on this word "mosaic", reminds me of calling
arrangements of nested polyhedra a "maze" (Plummer et al

What mathematicians do a lot:  come up with creative
new meanings for already known words.

It takes a lot of fun out of these investigations if you actually
have to manually add up all the multi-digit numbers in
row-n of Pascal's Triangle.

Short little programs in some machine logic prove ideally
suited to the job and help us focus on the logical patterns,
not mistakes in our arithmetic.

Recreational mathematics as raw material provides a
"great way" (as in "mahayana") to learn some math and
a "machine world" language in tandem.

Here's link to Python's edu-sig with some relevant
source code:

Kirby

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM, kirby urner <kirby...@gmail.com> wrote:

<< dels >>

Linda Fahlberg-Stojanovska

Feb 4, 2011, 4:10:28 PM2/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Edward. We (my bro Tim Fahlberg and I) loved the jokes. Thanks so much.

Kirby - I agree totally about "double the size". Size of what - the perimeter? the area? the volume?

(I thought a long time before deciding to call my exercise "largest triangle in circle" and decided that although I was after area and state so in the explanation, the same answer gives the largest perimeter so I was “covered”).