language and math

roberto

Oct 22, 2010, 9:35:54 AM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
hello, i'd like to ask to the list the following point:
who pursued research (practically and/or theorically) about the
possibility of learning mathematics as a human-like language;

an interesting old post in the python edu-sig list (i can't remember
it exactely, sorry) gives some light to the problem as far as regards
computer science;

but, which are the most affordable studies about math ?

thank you
--
roberto

Edward Cherlin

Oct 22, 2010, 10:49:18 AM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
You are asking, in part, about the biggest controversy in linguistics,
philosophy of language, and so on: The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, that
language constrains the range of thought. This is hotly denied in much
of academia, but taken as a given by mathematicians who are aware of
the history of mathematical notations. Also,

Marvin Minsky (born 1927)

* You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way.

The only serious attempt to make a significant part of math speakable
is Lojban, documented at http://www.lojban.org. There are said to be
three and a half fluent speakers of Lojban, some of whom are trying to
raise native speakers. There is a fairly extensive English-Lojban
translation program, including, for example la alis. cizra je cinri
zukte vi le selmacygu’e (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland).

Lojban has built-in grammar for elementary logic and set theory. It
has no built-in nouns or verbs, only relations with one to five
places. Noun phrases and verb phrases are easily constructed,
including proper noun phrases (la lojban.), mass nouns (lo ciftoldi),
and abstractions (le nu zutse). Verbs have an elaborate structure of
tenses and modes available. Any number of pronouns can be used.
Number, gender, tense, and other functions that are obligatory in many
natural languages are optional in Lojban, and there are optional
functions not common in natural languages.

Given the difficulties, I know of no serious studies of the issues you
ask about.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:35, roberto <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello, i'd like to ask to the list the following point:
> who pursued research (practically and/or theorically) about the
> possibility of learning mathematics as a human-like language;
>
> an interesting old post in the python edu-sig list (i can't remember

> it exactly, sorry) gives some light to the problem as far as regards

> computer science;
>
> but, which are the most affordable studies about math ?
>
> thank you
> --
> roberto
>

> --

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

milo gardner

Oct 22, 2010, 12:24:28 PM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Ed,

Thank you for your comments. There are at least two classes of studies that may expose working, and non-working, parts of potential innate language and math issues.

1. Language and mathematics may have developed on separate tracks offers an academic theory reported by Alan Bishop:

http://www.education.monash.edu.au/profiles/abishop

http://books.google.com/books?id=pVCmjjJ5Ne4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=alan+bishop,+language+and+math&source=gbs_similarbooks_s&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bishop discusses language and mathematics developments as not innately linked. I tend to agree with Bishop's conclusion. One reason discusses an intermediate bivalent language (Esperanto).

2. Esperanto, a bivalent language, is a fair intermediate social language, but not a complete science language translator:

http://www.esperanto-usa.org/en/node/3?fonto=gugloppc&gclid=CJCWpKvg5qQCFSBugwodiXpO1Q

Esperanto attempts to translate social and sciences language A into language B, failing in  'logic' topics. The Esperanto artificial language approach sometimes discuss math issues by Piaget's" finger and toes" metaphor ... suggests that Mayan and regional base 20 numeration systems were innately "fingers and toes" based. Mayan numeration was equally likely a combination of base 4, base 5, and generally not based on a pure base 20 language notion (George I. Sanchez, 1961).

Successful trivalent syntax projects are based on understanding Aymara, a South American language spoken by 4,000,000 people:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivalent_logic
2. http://www.racai.ro/~tufis/research.html
3 .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aymara_language
4. http://aymara.org/biblio/html/igr/igr3.html

The trivalent approach is being successfully applied in the Europe Economic Union to translate business and political contracts from language A to language B. I am looking for the Wikipedia entry (link) that discusses the EEU trivalent project, a vital element in unifying European economies. When found, it will be passed along.

Best Regards,

Milo Gardner

--- On Fri, 10/22/10, Edward Cherlin <eche...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Maria Droujkova

Oct 22, 2010, 12:29:28 PM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
There are indirect studies showing that math is indexed by natural languages. People who learn a second language after the age of seven or so may not have any noticeable accent. However, they perform arithmetic significantly slower in their second language. This causes problems for immigrants, as you can imagine.

For my part, I take about ten times more time to multiply, say, two-digit numbers in English, compared to Russian...

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Edward Cherlin

Oct 22, 2010, 12:48:32 PM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
There are cases reported where individuals do arithmetic in their
first language and algebra or calculus in their second language. Jill
Bolte Taylor reported losing all arithmetic for several years after
her stroke. She could dial phone numbers purely by shape, however.

> --

> mathfuture+...@googlegroups.com.

kirby urner

Oct 22, 2010, 10:49:54 PM10/22/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hey roberto, it's a twisted question that you ask, because
mathematics is nothing if not a human language. Who else
would it be for? Dolphins? ETs? Maybe, but not originally.

We might need to pause and ask what "mathematics" could
mean.

Keith Devlin reminds us that ants, bats, all manner of creatures,
are mathematical computations on the hoof as it were, with
Sir Roger (Penrose) butting in to explain that every so often,
thinking makes a logical leap through a non-computable space
to arrive at solutions that only have logical explanations post hoc,
if then (sometimes we give up trying to explain --
"explanations come to an end" as Wittgenstein so wisely put
it (or "justifications" depending on the translation)).

My mentor, R.B. Fuller, sought to change the mix in his
philosophical writings, going to the opposite extreme from
Bourbaki and including very little notation specific to the
mathematical literature, staying mostly in a kind of prose
not unlike Finnegans Wake by some reckonings. This was
a consciously taken decision and related to his project to
bridge the famous C.P. Snow chasm.

Indeed, his dedication to a prose-based approach to mathematical
topics caught him some cosmic fish, humanities types willing to
take the bait. Chief among them was Hugh Kenner, a famous
James Joyce scholar and author of 'The Pound Era', a book about
poets. He also wrote 'Geodesic Math and How to Use It' and was
a columnist for Byte Magazine (McGraw-Hill). Now *there's* a
polymath for ya!

If you crack the cover of Synergetics, you will just see a lot of
nonsense that tickles your fancy, combined with a wealth of pictures.
Is this mathematics? Some readers report having an easier time
with mathematical languages after steeping themselves in "Bucky tea"
whereas others experience no positive benefits and suspect it's
all snake oil.

Speaking of snake oil, what I've done is taken some of the geometry
one might distill from this "humanities drink" (like a tea), and coded
it up in Python, using the language of "math objects".

But then I'm quick to point out that "object oriented programming"
gained its impetus NOT by referring to some abstruse kind of
"object" known only to computer programmers, but to "things
in general" such as anyone might recognize: cats, elephants,
big wheels, hurricanes, camel caravans, Perl.

Some would argue that "processes" are not objects but this is
a grammatical objection, a reminder that we have different linguistic
forms depending on what type of object is under discussion. Python,
however, has a very simplified grammar wherein everything is treated
as an object. It's the ultimate exercise in "objectification" which
engineers are frequently castigated for doing, as if it were a crime.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/02/regarding-objectifying.html

Objects have attributes (properties) and behaviors, just like
people do (as demonstrated by sims in their sims doll houses).
Indeed, modeling objects with computer language objects is
what huge numbers of people do for a living (including me, in
some time slices).

So then the question is whether a computer language is "human-like".
At one point it was considered to be so, because machine language
was quasi-unreadable to most, but then Grace Hopper came along
with her compiler idea and realized dreams since Leibniz, as
channeled through Ada Byron in association with Charles Babbage.

APL (computer language) is human-like because it's like math, and
math is by and for humans. Iverson called APL an executable
math notation (MN).

When you look at it this way, there's no line between mathematics
notations and computer notations (in music either) other than the
fact that we need to administrate universities and that means
compartmentalization (entirely arbitrary in many cases, like
national boundaries).

FORTRAN, in its day, was touted as "human readable" just as
XML and SQL are so touted. But then people become spoiled
and say "that's not what I meant" and move the goal posts, once
again.

Nowadays we have a new language with its own idioms, called
"video" and/or "television". Mathematics is morphing thanks to
the new media being used to communicate mathematics.

Hypertext is also making a big difference, as the notion of
nodes and edges (hyperlinks) is now "in your face" like never
before (yes, I know brains are node-edge data structures too)
.... but I wander.

Kirby

Melanie

Oct 23, 2010, 10:44:35 PM10/23/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Roberto,

By 'human-like language', do you mean English, French, Chinese, etc.?

By 'learning', do you mean the natural immersion process of acquiring language, for example as children do it (as opposed to taking French 101)?

Are you interested in seeing how far you can get in communicating about what's for dinner by using mathematical chicken scratches (the things a monolingual Chinese speaker and a monolingual English speaker can put on a blackboard and both understand)?

Do you want to find parallels between how babies begin to point to the moon and say 'moon', and how children begin to make patterns and abstractions and so on, and then share their ideas with others?

-Melanie
--
Melanie Stein
Web Developer: html, css, wordpress

milo gardner

Oct 24, 2010, 9:26:30 AM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Melanie,

This discussion may need to be broken down into two parts. Part one can include the innate aspects of language and math, sometimes over lapping, and sometimes not. Part two can include conscious learning and awareness of verbal, and written math building blocks.

Proponents of innate language skills publish interesting studies. The best one that I know of was reported by the U. of Washington. Very young children from wide ranging language groups were taught vowel sounds. Monitoring took place that implied children are born with an ability to speak any combination of vowel sounds. Learning of a mother tongue, say Swedish (with 13-15 vowels), or Spanish/English (5-6 or few vowel sounds) seems to take place by un-learning the vowel sounds that are not needed.

I'll look for the one hour You-tube presentation of the vowel 'learning' by unlearning study.

Aymara language and logic skills tend to show that certain logical skills are common to math and language, placing learners outside of conversations.  As a general rule, the trivalent (outside of conversation) syntax does not exists in bivalent languages. Bivalent languages tend to teach children logical skills in mathematical class rooms.

Proponents of innate mathematical skills seem not to publish equally interesting studies.
I'd be please to read of studies that discuss innate math skills that tend not to overlap with language skills.

Best Regards,

Milo Gardner

Oct 24, 2010, 10:05:25 AM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Milo,

no too far from now, the ICMI study about learning mathematics in multilingual environments might be related to that.

I think it is planned that they discuss in Sao Paolo around January 2011.

paul

Yin Yang Websites  <signature6.gif>

Melanie

Oct 24, 2010, 11:13:16 AM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Milo,

Hopefully Roberto, the person who posed the query, understood you.  I understood your letter even less than I understood his.  I'm so in the dark I don't even know which deficiencies of mine are the problem.  (math, linguistics, or both?)

Here are some of the things I didn't understand:
- "monitoring ... implied"
- I'll buy that Spanish has six vowel sounds (a, i, o, u and two variants of e), but English?  I can only boil it down to 15 different vowel sounds (long and short a, e, i, o, u, oo, plus aw, oi and schwa).  I believe you said 5-6.
- "Aymara ... skills show"
- "placing learners outside of conversations"
- In what country do they "teach children logical skills in mathematical class rooms"?  I want to move there!

-Melanie

milo gardner

Oct 24, 2010, 11:25:14 AM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. As an introduction to language and the learning
of vowels, by unlearning unneeded vowels, and speaking a 'mother tongue':
Patricia Kuhl,  U. of Washington:

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.aspx?rID=16133

does a great job.

Early childhood education also offers an important dimension to this topic:

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=14224

Culturally specific logical (math) building blocks, of course, are taught at the
same time.

I'll look forward to the 2011 cross-cultural aspects that unpack a few
of the math issues.

Best Regards,

Milo Gardner

LFS

Oct 24, 2010, 12:03:30 PM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Ah, Melanie and Edward. I was just getting ready to write that I so much enjoy your responses because I can understand them and find their content particularly relevant to how I think about things. I often reread them – not just here but in other discussions too.

1.       I actually often think about: Is math an international language and How much of life is math?
There was a question on Pandalous – Is God a mathematician? My response was that God is apriori a communicator and math is a language of communication so yes - God is a mathematician, but that is not his totality. So my response to Roberto would be indeed be exactly what you said Melanie. But perhaps I too am not understanding the question.

2.       With regards to language and math in general.
My son is bilingual in English and Macedonian and I often wonder how he does math in his head because his skills come from school (Macedonian), but (I hope) his abilities come from me (English).
On the other hand, I am like Maria – I teach in my second language, but am not bilingual in the true meaning of the word. I know math in English, but teach in Macedonian. I find that I always count in English, but I don’t always solve problems in English. When I say “count”, I mean both the verbal act of counting and visualizing the number 1. (I see a picture of one frog with the number 1 underneath it and I “see” the letters “one” – no kidding.)

Anyway, these are my thoughts and language and math.

Linda

Oct 24, 2010, 6:12:11 PM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM, LFS <alicet...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah, Melanie and Edward. I was just getting ready to write that I so much enjoy your responses because I can understand them and find their content particularly relevant to how I think about things. I often reread them – not just here but in other discussions too.

1.       I actually often think about: Is math an international language and How much of life is math?

Kirby here.  I think about these things too.

I hope you will forgive this experiment in using a different font.  I'm curious
to recall the capabilities of Google Groups when it comes to rich text format.
A mathematical exercise...

I think about the word "international" which was important when I was growing up.
Driving by the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) in Rome, I'd see
those flags side by side on poles.  National flag displays (excluding those not
members of the UN) were the signature of "international" in this post WW2
world.  Later, I would take courses at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public
and International Affairs, such as 'Problems of World Hunger' (course title).

Then came the literature about giant corporations and their "transnational"
powers.  The word "transnational" in Global Reach (an influential book)
started to eclipse 'international' in some ways.  Then in 1983 I encountered
'supranational' which sounded even more powerful, vis-a-vis nations, than
"transnational".  How corporations went from being "combines" to
"conglomerates" to "supranationals" is an interesting story of a mathematical
nature, albeit in the international language of "legalese" (lots of numbers,
lots of "bottom lines").

ExxonMobil has sponsored commercials suggesting it uses a supranational
mathematics language internally and if you want to be part of the inner circle
elite, you should be able to scan these indecipherable squiggles that go by
rather fast on the screen.  In this way "math as the international language"
has become likewise "the supranational language" of global businesses.

We also learn a lot of this math stuff is actually secret (patents, proprietary
processes).  The general public does not control its own access to this heritage,
nor do the universities apparently.  To some extent, mathematics feels more
proprietary and privately owned than it used to, back in the days of
"international math".  How much of math belongs to Exxon today?  Or to
DirecTV? Or does Exxon belong to the Russians by this time, given what
petro-dollars are buying what stocks (reminds me of something I was
reading in NYT...).  I know Unilever, with products in Cuba (Ben & Jerry's
is a part of Unilever), is Anglo-Dutch.  It gets confusing.  One needs
mathematics, especially databases, to keep track of who or what owns whom
(a kind of graph, dots connecting).

As to how much of life is Math, we could start with the assertion, the
argument (setting the stage for discussion), that all of life is Math, with
no exceptions.  Life is one giant computation, under God (if you wanna
use that cipher), indivisible, with liberty and justice for all (not really,
but part of the ongoing computation, at least for some of us, is how
to keep things moving in that direction).

Even dreaming is mathematical, including daydreaming.

Poetry is especially mathematical.

There was a question on Pandalous – Is God a mathematician? My response was that God is apriori a communicator and math is a language of communication so yes - God is a mathematician, but that is not his totality. So my response to Roberto would be indeed be exactly what you said Melanie. But perhaps I too am not understanding the question.

Perhaps our definition is way too narrow, which is why it sounds wrong
to see mathematics in every nook and cranny of life, including in one's
secret thoughts about what to eat next.

Gardening is mathematical.

It's all about energy, proportions, timing, planting, tending, harvesting.
That means calendars, attending to star patterns, so astronomy, as well
as allocating the food, meting it out, keeping farm workers in good enough
health to keep tilling the land.  Who makes the decisions?  Are they "by
the book"?  Are they capricious?  Civilizations comes and go, with their
various respective answers to such questions.  Mathematics, at the core
of each civilization, is not identical, but signature.  All civilizations, including
the global ones, have their signature mathematics, their curricula, their
ways of passing the torch to next generations.

Geography leads to maps, surveying, trigonometry, relative sizes,
relative volumes.  Objects, situated in settings (geographical), have
their properties and abilities.  Geography includes astronomy, mapping
the stars.  The globe is perhaps the most important mathematical
device in any classroom, next to a chalk board or other screen.
Google Earth is another kind of globe (shares the screen).  From
globes, we get to other geometry.  Flat squares are like farmer
fields -- you see them when you zoom in really close to the surface.
Humans tend to favor squares in these early days of their
development.  Watch for more hexagons as farmers with circular
irrigations systems go for closest packed circles (look for these
using Google Earth -- a mathematical exercise).

I approach the number 1 and ask what it might do (I think of one of
those big heads on Easter Island).  But just one of something isn't
enough to even define a type or class.  You need multiple examples
of something to even tune in a "kind" (same root as "king").  The
number 1 is a kind of thing called a number, a type of object, a kind
of container (or "car" or "cart" -- Egyptian "cartouche") -- the
paradigm thing is a vessel, that which contains, that which has
content....

What's "inside" the number 1?  Our sensibilities change over time
I would suggest.  In some civilizations, numbers have special
properties, powers, are resonant with connotations, open doors,
launch trains of thought.  It's a kind of computation, to think about
the number 3 and ponder a triangle (many do), the number 4 and
ponder a tetrahedron (many don't, associate to a square instead).

Making an association (of any kind) is a "connecting the dots" we
may in turn connect with "logic" and "mathematical thinking".  What
web of associations does one use?  That web is what some
mathematicians call a graph, or a mind map.  Following a subway map,
getting from A to B, is an exercise in topology (as is making tea,
doing laundry -- = operating in how many dimensions again?  Were
we all supposed to agree on some number?  Rules unclear.).

2.       With regards to language and math in general.
My son is bilingual in English and Macedonian and I often wonder how he does math in his head because his skills come from school (Macedonian), but (I hope) his abilities come from me (English).
On the other hand, I am like Maria – I teach in my second language, but am not bilingual in the true meaning of the word. I know math in English, but teach in Macedonian. I find that I always count in English, but I don’t always solve problems in English. When I say “count”, I mean both the verbal act of counting and visualizing the number 1. (I see a picture of one frog with the number 1 underneath it and I “see” the letters “one” – no kidding.)

When I look at Python code, I don't always feel a need to read it from
top to bottom.  The need to sub-vocalize symbols, to have a way of
saying them out loud, is apparently optional and/or specific to the
language.  One may know what | -3 | means without knowing how
to say "absolute value" in English or Japanese.  One may program in
APL without remembering the name of each of its symbols.

The international language of mathematics is characterized by having
a lot of greek letters in it.  The letters are not arbitrary, even though
one might be taught the rule:  use any "legal name" for a variable.
In practice, theta is used for angles more than not, whereas lambda
has its own subcultures.  Sigma notation is learned rather early in
one's career (using the capital Sigma to mean "sum of"), but maybe
not Pi notation (using the capital Pi to mean "product of").  Why?
Pure happenstance?

Does the word "absolute" have the same connotations in different
languages?  I would say "of course not" which is why mathematics is
always colored by the regional graph, the local dot connecting.

Math books over time have faced a challenge:  what kind of progression
or narrative makes the most sense?  Those most into a "pure" kind of
mathematics (culturally defined), decided a math book should be like
building a building.  Start with foundations or premises, which readers
are generally supposed to find satisfying enough, or intimidating enough,
to not waste a lot of time questioning.  Codify definitions as you would
codify an inviolable law.  The building is to be "imposing" meaning as you
work your way through theorems, the growing edifice will be like a fortress,
unassailable, rock solid, indubitable.  Mathematics is used to build
fortifications inside of language.  That the symbols tend to be cryptic,
hard for most people to decipher, is part of the design.  Compressed
shorthand for exchange among inner circle cogniscenti:  that's what
priestcraft has always been like.  ExxonMobil is like a divine being a
supranational corporate person, an Immortal, an Incredible.  This is a
mathematical pattern since Egyptian times.

"Humans make imperfect laws that might be broken, but God's laws
are perfect, are always followed" is the way some people tend to
think (not claiming I'm one of them, though I differ mostly in nuance
(the word "law" kinda bugs me, prefer "rule" or even "principle", but
that's just a matter of personal taste I'm thinking)).

Anyway, these are my thoughts and language and math.

Linda

Thank you Linda.

Kirby
image001.gif

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Oct 24, 2010, 8:53:08 PM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Kirby, you asked
"...but maybe
not Pi notation (using the capital Pi to mean "product of").  Why?  Pure happenstance?"

I have no way of dropping pics into email so you'll have to open attachment to see pic and my take on this.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Oct 24, 2010, 9:56:03 PM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Disregard the two, image 001 attachments on previous email. I have no idea how they got there. The symbol pi attachment is what I posted.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

--- On Sun, 10/24/10, Bradford Hansen-Smith <wholem...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
image001.gif

kirby urner

Oct 24, 2010, 10:23:52 PM10/24/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Hey thanks, I checked it out!

Note that Capital Pi doesn't usually come with that curvy top, ala Lowercase Pi.

Capital Pi notation:

Capital Sigma notation:

(classic Khan Academy video -- note how he keeps /forgives his own mistakes, has to go back and fix later, I think we can empathize).

The the J language, it's easy to interpolate a plus or product symbol between all members of a list.

Ed Cherlin knows all about it.

Python used to have 'reduce' but Guido took it out.

>>> sequence = [ 3 ** n for n in range(11) ]

>>> def product(sequence):
prod = 1
for term in sequence:
prod = prod * term
return prod

>>> sequence
[1, 3, 9, 27, 81, 243, 729, 2187, 6561, 19683, 59049]

Capital PI:

>>> product(sequence)
174449211009120179071170507

Capital SIGMA:

>>> sum(sequence)
88573

Kirby

Paul Libbrecht

Oct 25, 2010, 2:29:43 AM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
This is a topic I am fascinated with but I'm afraid I'm diverging from the original poster's subject.

On 25 oct. 2010, at 00:12, kirby urner wrote:

The international language of mathematics is characterized by having
a lot of greek letters in it.  The letters are not arbitrary, even though
one might be taught the rule:  use any "legal name" for a variable.
In practice, theta is used for angles more than not, whereas lambda
has its own subcultures.

The vertices of a triangle... how do you name them?
I just observed that ABC is used in Germany and Hungary wheres PQR is used in French.

Sigma notation is learned rather early in  one's career (using the capital Sigma to mean "sum of"), but maybe

Sigma because of S like sum, somme, Summe...

Does anyone in this list have a language where sum does not start with an S-like letter?
Unfortunately, Arabic seems to use the same sign, though reversed.

not Pi notation (using the capital Pi to mean "product of").  Why?
Pure happenstance?

We are trying to collect these notations as observations in the mathematical notation census:

One is expected to make observations from widely used books for much of the thinkable mathematical symbols.

paul

Melanie

Oct 25, 2010, 7:21:08 AM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Linda,

Do you dream in Macedonian or mostly in English?

I learned chemistry in Spanish, so now even though I'm back in the States, if I try to think about chemistry I have to turn the knob to Spanish first.

However, it's very feasible for your son to do math in Macedonian in his head, but still under the Linda influence.  (At least the mother in me likes to think so.)

-Melanie

LFS

Oct 25, 2010, 12:53:12 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Hiya all,

First  - short answer to Melanie. What language do I dream in? Like you, it seems to depends on the “language of the experience”. I know that if it is a “building” dream, it is in Macedonian as I have only ever physically worked on building my house here in Macedonia. I don’t think there is language at all in my nightmares though. I never thought about it. I will try to remember to check this next time I leave the electric blanket on too hot.

Kirby – first I need to know 1 thing and second to thank-you for good laugh.

1. (NYT) I understand the bicycle on the front of the bus. How is the bicycle on side of the bus hooked up? Did the bus run into it? It looks like it is both inside the bus, but its front wheel is on the curb iron thing.

2. You had 2 links together; I presumed that it was an accident of fate in the wording of the 2nd, but immediately clicked and that was the best “math” laugh I have in a long time. Thank-you.

I know that corporations are everywhere – I find it difficult to think about that. I know at 55 I should not be so naïve, but I often wonder when do these people say “enough is enough”. I remember that this summer in Ithaca we talked about the fact that ‘math is the new race’, i.e. the latest way to exclude the “undesirables”. It is funny (odd) that you use the word “proprietary” in your letter. Today I was struggling in my Basic Computing class first to remember that word, then to think of how to translate it into Macedonian and when that failed - trying to think of how to explain it other than proprietary = you’re screwed since this would not be appropriate in a class of 19 year olds where I am the responsible adult.  (We use to only get English TV on the French channels. We do not know French, but we know “a suivre” and we still say ahsuvre to mean “proprietary”. (It means “to be continued”.)) This is our family “language”. But I digress.

I guess I have a more limited concept of mathematics; I don’t think everything is mathematics. It might be mathematical. I remember thinking that if the person had asked “Is God a logistician” that I probably would have said yes. I was watching Stephen Hawking’s Universe the other day and he said the everything exists because the big bang was not perfectly distributed and that these chance imperfections caused the law of gravity to form the universe.  I would say that God is logic and logical – he is both the laws (mathematics) and the chance imperfections that make life interesting when you apply the laws. I planted 24 trees in a row. They all looked great for 2 years. Then one of them up and died. One could say that is mathematics, but perhaps we make the mathematics to fit life.

What a fascinating conversation and – as always – I am amazed at the stories we have hidden in us.

--

image001.gif

roberto

Oct 25, 2010, 1:53:50 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
first of all, thanks for your comments and sorry for my late post:
i have been definitely flooded by your replies :)
here my quotations

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Melanie <ms.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roberto,
>
> By 'human-like language', do you mean English, French, Chinese, etc.?
yes

> By 'learning', do you mean the natural immersion process of acquiring language, for example as children do it (as opposed to taking >French 101)?

definitely, "natural immersion" is a phrase perfectly fitting my thoughts

> Do you want to find parallels between how babies begin to point to the moon and say 'moon', and how children begin to make patterns and >abstractions and so on, and then share their ideas with others?

fairly so;

reshaping my point, this is the problem i'm interested in:
1. a child can learn one or even more languages, almost without worries;
probably, you know many perfectly double-native-speakers
2. as you have highlighted, math is a human language, by which means
we address practical or theoretical objects
3. so, the question was: is it possible for a child to learn
mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method,
with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do
for their parents' language) ? please, forgive me, i know these terms
can lead to hundreds of interpretations;
3.1 a little fork out of the previous question (but it's not my main
concern now):
as far as regards math objects (numbers, variables, equations,
functions, etc.) would you agree to look at human languages as
super-languages who stay on top of math-language and are heavily
linked to it, such that you use them to manage and communicate math
objects to each other ? (of course you can do millions of other
different things with languages ...)
could you *speak* (i mean "read") a math equation *without* using a
human language ?

thank you again for your thoughtful comments
--
roberto

LFS

Oct 25, 2010, 2:40:07 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Divergence …

I really liked the picture pi with the spirograph. I wonder if I can make that in GeoGebra.

I would say – the international language of mathematics is characterized by having a lot of math-speak, which itself is characterized by having a lot of greek letters in it.

One of my main points in teaching math is to get my kids to not be afraid of math-speak – everything can be translated into people-speak.

Think of the definition of the identity matrix with kronecker deltas – or just say “1s on the diagonal, 0s everywhere else”.

Here is my contribution to the greek letter notation conundrum.

Theta is the angle name for 2D polar (r, theta),  until one starts to work with 3D and then magically 2D is (ro, phi) and 3D is (r, phi, theta).  And none of these is in proper (argument, function) notation.

Linda

Oct 25, 2010, 4:19:14 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Linda-----Don't know if you were referring to my drawing of pi on the circle matrix when mentioning the "picture of pi with the spirograph" If you were then you will be interested to know that it was drawn with Microsoft Word and not a spirograph, which I do not think can do that. If you were refering to another drawing done on a spirograph I would like to see it.

I am interested to see what you come up with using GeoGebra. So far I have not been impressed with the drawing capabilities of that program.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Algot Runeman

Oct 25, 2010, 5:20:50 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

I've been following the discussion as a non-mathematician, lurking. The
acquisition of language by children is also not my study. However, I'll
toss in my comments.

Much early language is highly concrete. "A is for Apple" and such.
Concrete, hold in your hand concepts are easy to grasp (excuse the pun).
Later, "Walk, don't run" is reinforced by a parent holding a child's
hand to keep him/her from running ahead. "Lie down," is frequently
reinforced very early with a gentle/firm hand on the back while a child
is still in a crib.

Kid's do seem to comprehend the math concepts "and" and maybe "take
away" because of their concrete nature (another cookie for and, or
taking the plate away for the loss/subtraction of another cookie). Maybe
a parent might actually remove a cookie from the child's hand.

When things slip into the abstract, children begin to be challenged.
Just ask a parent how clearly their child understands "No".

I personally encountered serious abstraction issues when, as a high
school freshman, I took algebra. I struggled horribly all year and
passed only because the teacher recognized my struggle and effort, even
though success was absent. As a sophomore, I did well in geometry. I
suspect it was "easier" because it was concrete. I don't think my
difficulty was lack of intelligence, just an immaturity of abstraction
skills. Time passed...College required some math, but I avoided more
than I should have. In graduate school, I needed to take some statistics
which had algebra prerequisites I'd avoided. Here's the most interesting
point. I sat in on some classes and took the final exam, passing it
easily. In spite of avoiding most math classes for four years, my
abstraction "language" grew to equal or exceed my concrete skills. I
eventually even took and did well in Calculus.

It has seemed interesting to me that, at one point in history, algebra
was the topic of graduate level mathematics. Over time, educators took
it down the grades until it got to the ninth grade (US, freshman). I
suspect that students might have more universal success if their
"abstraction acuity" were considered before making it a requirement.

For what it's worth, I've also felt that I *might* have done better with
algebra if the graphing of equations had been concurrent with the
abstract concepts instead of being an add in for the final few weeks of
the year. I believe strongly that the chance to see the effects of the
changes in an equation would have tied the abstractions to the concrete
view of the equations. Maybe other students and teachers didn't need the
connection, but looking back makes me think getting the view of slopes
and then curves linked with the math would have helped.

--Algot

kirby urner

Oct 25, 2010, 7:23:31 PM10/25/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, LFS <alicet...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hey Linda --

I wish I knew what to tell ya about that double decker bus in Arcata
labeled Circus Bus.

That got added to my collection of business-oriented vehicles, or "BizMos"
(business mobiles), because it looked seriously badass, or at least vintage
hippie.

What I've been proposing for adventuresome teachers is a way to join a
kind of gypsy lifestyle where you caravan to schools, or show up from
different corners, to put on these circus-like events that helped with
recruiting.

The vehicles could be futuristic, a kind of advertising for their sponsors,
and communicators of hope (in short supply -- one of my fellow
students is training to deliver first aid after some major social melt
down, and to live without money or petrol).

Mathematics with no time line is also mathematics with no obligation
to hint about the future.  By divorcing oneself from the time dimension,
one absolves oneself from all responsibility for addressing the human
condition.  That's highly irresponsible and I do not respect or appreciate
math curricula which deliberately expunge any sense of a "real world",
especially where the subject is considered mandatory, a requirement.
One needs a globe in the room, or the equivalent.  Lets talk about
energy, where it comes from, where it goes.

Yes, some of our competitors in the military services are already well
ahead in this game, have their way of hogging everything before
civilians get a crack at it.  They've got all the most terrible outward
weapons after all, and so tend to get their way.

The science fiction buses I'm fielding would be less retro than
the one depicted and might be more van-sized.

One of my colleagues has one but it's kinda big.  He pulls a trailer
too, with a motor bike inside, and a snow mobile.  This guy invented
geo-caching and his rig is full of flatscreens showing maps of his
surroundings.

He scopes out abandoned mine shafts 'n stuff (not saying that's
what my crews would be doing).

I'm not necessarily wanting to move into a bizmo full time.

The dispatching centers have fleets on hand.

Perhaps private companies and academic institutions could run
some (in tandem?), in addition to the public services.  I've

[...]

Macedonia is featured in this fun book on my shelf called Blowing My Cover by
one Lindsay Moran (something like that -- going off memory).  I've gotten as
close as Yugoslavia (when it still existed), and to Greece in the south.

Our family used to live in Italy.

My dad was a regional planner for the Kingdom of Libya (later a dictatorship,
more like Python Nation).

I guess I have a more limited concept of mathematics; I don’t think everything is mathematics. It might be mathematical. I remember thinking that if the person had asked “Is God a logistician” that I probably would have said yes. I was watching Stephen Hawking’s Universe the other day and he said the everything exists because the big bang was not perfectly distributed and that these chance imperfections caused the law of gravity to form the universe.  I would say that God is logic and logical – he is both the laws (mathematics) and the chance imperfections that make life interesting when you apply the laws. I planted 24 trees in a row. They all looked great for 2 years. Then one of them up and died. One could say that is mathematics, but perhaps we make the mathematics to fit life.

I think it's fine to flip in and out of the view that it's "all math" i.e. one giant
computation, indivisible.

I write heuristics for teachers and sometimes that means using as broad a
brush as possible, only adding more colors in later lesson plans.

Wolfram's New Kind of Science seems to point in the same direction.

In traditional theology (the study of Theo), one might say God's creation
is this Cosmic Computer, "just a machine" but for that divine spark of
eternal awareness of which the human being partakes -- albeit faintly.

In those Terminator movies, one supposes it's some future time
when machines take over, but Machine World is today.

What I try to get away from, as a sensitive philosopher, is this idea
that "computational" means "deterministic" which psychologically
means fatalism.  Prophesies have this amazing power to self-fulfill.

The computation is a lot about balancing archetypes.

But that's not how mathematicians ever talk, so to say so sounds
far-fetched and unbelievable (more like al chem, than al jabber).

I'm thinking of the philosophical dividing line between life and
not-life that people used to imagine running through biology
somewhere.  We would maybe isolate the vital force.

Instead, science came upon the virus, a most exquisite machine
that self replicates, takes over bacteria, and so must also be
called "alive".

I use this ambiguity about life (between machine and ET,
ET and human) in my Martian Math course, a way of
teaching mathematics that includes a lot of science fiction.

We learn about War of the Worlds, about H.G. Wells, and
also Orson Wells.

We talk about Star Wars.

We also watch Warriors of the Net, which might sound
militaristic, but it's about dutiful little IP packets just
going about their business.  Check it out!

What a fascinating conversation and – as always – I am amazed at the stories we have hidden in us.

Regarding "proprietary", in Geek (a kind of math language), the
opposite of "free".

Software is free if you're free to change it, morph it, treat it like clay.

Software is proprietary is you don't even get to look inside the
box and see what makes it tick.

Proprietary means secret, not for prying eyes.

When it comes to education, we know that being too secretive
about how everything works is a sure fire way to turn people
away.

The reason math is languishing is the curriculum doesn't contain
the sexy stuff you'd maybe not get anywhere else, about what
makes stuff tick.  Take us behind the scenes, back stage.  Tell
us secrets, while teaching us math.  That's what the youth wish
for and deserve:  inside stories, lots of them.

Too much of today's math is all about deferring gratification
but then failing to gratify, breaking the promise.  Disillusionment
is both inevitable and predictable.  Let's upgrade!

Kirby

Melanie

Oct 26, 2010, 9:28:23 AM10/26/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the helpful explanation, Roberto.
Is it possible for a child to learn mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method, with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do for their parents' language)?
An interesting question!  Before I contribute my two cents, I'll restate the question (I hope I've got it right):
Can children pick up mathematics by being surrounded by people talking about mathematics?  In the same effortless way children learn to speak one or more regular languages (people-languages)?
First, let's check if we agree about what we think is going on when children learn their parents' language(s).  Here's what I saw in my toddlers when they were getting started with talking.

It seemed that at a certain point in his development timeline, the child was ready to learn 'moon'.  And when he was at that point, he was receptive to learning that word in each of his languages.  Say he learns 'luna' Tuesday evening when looking out the window with me before bed.  The next evening, on the way to bed, he points to the window and says 'luna' to Papa, who's doing the pyjama-bedtime story thing tonight.  Papa learned Latin in high school, and the pointing helps; he says 'Mond'.  The child repeats it.  Later, he hears the two adults talking to each other in English about the 'moon', and (if he can process English well enough) pulls that word out and adds it to his set of labels for that idea.  In the bedtime stories that week, he notices the moons in illustrations and makes the connection with what he saw out the window.  A one-word request to look at the moon gets incorporated into the bedtime routine.  The adults respond by visiting the window with him to look for the moon.  All three words have been learned in quick succession.  Once the child is over the hurdle of learning the moon concept, adding the labels from the various languages does seem effortless.  The third step, adding the English label, seemed the most effortless of all.  But without the behind-the-scenes work done at English-speaking daycare, that step wouldn't have happened (and didn't, with my second child, whose daycare wasn't in English).

Another way in which learning a mother tongue seems effortless is that there's so much satisfaction and excitement built into the process, for both parent and child, because the learning goes at such a clip, and because there's such a strong collaborative feeling between the two.  And what about when the child gets far enough along with understanding how the pieces can be put together that he starts making words up, effective words that you would like to use, too?  And starts pointing out funny things, and explaining why it's funny, and you hadn't seen it that way before?  I grant you that it is a miraculous process.

But here's what bothers me about the effortlessness idea.  New parents are told to talk to their baby a lot.  We're told that the more words a baby is exposed to, the smarter he'll be.  And I don't buy it.

I had a friend who raised goats.  She kept a radio on in the barn, tuned to a classical music station.  She said it helped the goats thrive.  I'm sure it did, but listening to the radio didn't make musicians out of the goats.  And I don't think just having lots of words spoken in your vicinity makes you smart.  It's the communicating that makes babies smarter.

And that's how I think it works for learning math, too.  What good does it do my toddler to hear mama and papa talking over dinner about how to solve a certain type of PDE (assuming the interruptions allow us to have an actual adult conversation)?  The child will learn math if he and I communicate meaningful mathematical things to each other.  Let's make one sand 'birthday cake' for each person.  (One to one correspondence!)  Let's sing a birthday song.  (Logic: if birthday cake, then birthday song!)  Let's blow out the stick 'candles'.  (We're making models!)  Let's take pieces of 'cake' and 'eat' them!  (We're partitioning!)

However, I do think it's fair to say that children of mathematicians will be immersed in math, because these parents will be interested in communicating things with their children that have mathematical meaning.  And when their child makes a mathematical observation, the parents will recognize the math in what was said or done, and help the child go a little further.

-Melanie

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Oct 26, 2010, 12:09:52 PM10/26/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Melanie.......thanks for your observations. We learn by observing what is modeled by our environment, making connections and modeling our own understanding of how it is, and then to try it out to see if it works, making what ever connective adjustment are necessary for alignment. This is the growing of our brains to be able to function and interact within the environment we find ourselves. It is extraordinary how unique this process is for each of us. Models are the informing experiences that communicate. When experience  becomes abstracted and generalized away from personal communication conflict arises.

"I wonder why you can't paste images into email.  Let me know if you'd like me to try to help you work this out."
I wonder to. I have yahoo mail and switched to the new att.net Mail that has a function to drop in images. It will not work for me. I am told I do not have the program necessary. Okay, I wasn't happy with the new att,net Mail anyway, and am back in the old att.net program and just send attachments.

Brad

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Oct 26, 2010, 11:48:53 AM10/26/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Melanie,

Here, here!  I agree with you completely.  As the mother of two and a licensed German and Math high school teacher, I am of the firm belief that it is the connections that we make directly with children that allows them to grasp the deeper meaning and in turn develop that greater intelligence of which they are capable.

I gave up teaching for ten years when my first was born and two years later my second came into this world, all the while I was not just talking at them, I was talking with them.  We never used baby talk, but instead conversed about numbers and languages at their level and a little beyond.  They were sponges.  It was so exciting to find what they were naturally interested in and then expand their knowledge of that subject with its integration of math and German.  My children are now 15 and 13 with a thirst of learning and a greater understanding of what is being taught in their respective schools...they even understand the teacher's humor when no one else in class does.  :-)

Math is cross-curriculum and can be brought up in most any conversation.  The more math is openly talked about, the more comfortable people become.

Thanks, everyone, for the great conversation.  I have truly enjoyed following all input.

Blessings!

Rebecca Reiniger ~ reka...@opusnet.com
Ute Frenburg in SL ~ utefr...@gmail.com

Educational Coordinator, Dream Realizations
r.rei...@dreamrealizations.org

Co-Chair International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) Special Interest Group (SIG) Virtual Worlds

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Rekaloan
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/bLsMEk
Linkedin: http://linkd.in/bWzHDB
Skype: Rekaloan

~ Dream Realization ~

An Educational Support Services Organization designed to facilitate colleges, universities, and other entities in need of virtual world math support.
We offer classes, training, and research design.
http://dreamrealization.ning.com

Working in coordination with ItOnlyTakes1, a math visualization research organization.
http://itonlytakes1.org

http://twitter.com/Rekaloan

~ Dream Realization ~

An Educational Support Services Organization designed to facilitate colleges, universities, and other entities in need of virtual world math support.

http://dreamrealization.ning.com

Working in coordination with ItOnlyTakes1, a math visualization research organization.
http://itonlytakes1.org

roberto

Oct 28, 2010, 2:54:28 PM10/28/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Melanie <ms.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the helpful explanation, Roberto.
>
> Is it possible for a child to learn mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method, with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do for their parents' language)?
>
> An interesting question!  Before I contribute my two cents, I'll restate the question (I hope I've got it right):
yes, you did !

> Can children pick up mathematics by being surrounded by people talking about mathematics?  In the same effortless way children learn to speak one or more regular languages (people-languages)?
>
> First, let's check if we agree about what we think is going on when children learn their parents' language(s).  Here's what I saw in my toddlers when they were getting started with talking.
>
> And that's how I think it works for learning math, too.  What good does it do my toddler to hear mama and papa talking over dinner about how to solve a certain type of PDE (assuming the interruptions allow us to have an actual adult conversation)?  The child will learn math if he and I communicate meaningful mathematical things to each other.  Let's make one sand 'birthday cake' for each person.  (One to one correspondence!)  Let's sing a birthday song.  (Logic: if birthday cake, then birthday song!)  Let's blow out the stick 'candles'.  (We're making models!)  Let's take pieces of 'cake' and 'eat' them!  (We're partitioning!)

understanding PDE that way would be too difficult :)
i was thinking about the starting math children usually learn in ages
0-5/6 or so

> However, I do think it's fair to say that children of mathematicians will be immersed in math, because these parents will be interested in communicating things with their children that have mathematical meaning.  And when their child makes a mathematical observation, the parents will recognize the math in what was said or done, and help the child go a little further.

i share your view;
let me also quote a small part of the speech of prof. Frank B. Allen,
at NCTM 1988:
he said
"The teaching of mathematics should be regarded initially as an
extension of the teaching of language. Our efforts to develop an
awareness of the intimate relationship which exists between grammar,
mathematics and logic should begin with games of " How do we know?" in
the early grades (12) continue with the introduction of formal proof
not later than grade 9 (perhaps with the aid of flow-diagrams) and
culminate in the ability to read and write lucid essay proofs by grade
12."

learning logic may be a well-grounded bridge between learning language
and learning math

--
roberto

milo gardner

Oct 28, 2010, 3:55:53 PM10/28/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Roberto,

I agree with your points when logic is discussed outside of language, as well as inside of language. Languages differ greatly with respect to syntax and logic systems. One live language that I know of that forces speakers and listeners to logically think outside of the conversation, as abstract thought, is Aymara. Was not Jaime Escalante, the LA math teacher of "Stand and Deliver" fame Bolivian and Aymaran?

Milo Gardner

Oct 28, 2010, 4:22:26 PM10/28/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
A History of Mathematical Notations by Florian Cajori has many of the
answers you seek.

The various Unicode mathematical symbol blocks are intended to cover
all of published mathematics in European languages (including
Russian), in coordination with the American Mathematical Society.
There are a number of Unicode blocks for numbers used in various
writing systems: Aegean Numbers, Ancient Greek Numbers, Common Indic
Number Forms, Counting Rod Numerals, Cuneiform Numbers and
Punctuation, Rumi Numeral Symbols. This is in addition to numerals
included in the blocks of specific writing systems such as Devanagari
and others from India, or Egyptian Hieroglyphs.

I can provide much more detail to anyone interested.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 02:29, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> wrote:
> This is a topic I am fascinated with but I'm afraid I'm diverging from the
> original poster's subject.
> On 25 oct. 2010, at 00:12, kirby urner wrote:
>
> The international language of mathematics is characterized by having
> a lot of greek letters in it. The letters are not arbitrary, even though
> one might be taught the rule:  use any "legal name" for a variable.

That is the programming languages rule, not the mathematics rule.

> In practice, theta is used for angles more than not, whereas lambda
> has its own subcultures.

And Hebrew for transfinite numbers, due to Georg Cantor.

> The vertices of a triangle... how do you name them?

> I just observed that ABC is used in Germany and Hungary whereas PQR is used
> in French.

In Euclid, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta...ΑΒΓΔ.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/euclid/Elements.pdf
page 8, Book 1, Proposition 1
Κέντρῳ μὲν τῷ Α διαστήματι δὲ τῷ ΑΒ κύκλος γεγράφθω ὁ ΒΓΔ...
With center A and radius AB, draw the circle BCD...

I haven't seen an edition of Euclid in Arabic, although apparently 31
Arabic translations were made over the centuries, and one of them was
the source for the first Latin translation. Wait, I just now looked,
and here it is!

http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/13079270

Alif, Ba, Ha...
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/13079270?n=25&imagesize=1200&jp2Res=.25

> Sigma notation is learned rather early in  one's career (using the capital
> Sigma to mean "sum of"), but maybe
>
> Sigma because of S like sum, somme, Summe...
> Does anyone in this list have a language where sum does not start with an
> S-like letter?
> Unfortunately, Arabic seems to use the same sign, though reversed.
>
> not Pi notation (using the capital Pi to mean "product of").  Why?
> Pure happenstance?
>
> We are trying to collect these notations as observations in the mathematical
> notation census:
> http://wiki.math-bridge.org/display/ntns/
> One is expected to make observations from widely used books for much of the
> thinkable mathematical symbols.
> paul

Mike South

Oct 28, 2010, 5:18:00 PM10/28/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM, roberto <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:
first of all, thanks for your comments and sorry for my late post:
i have been definitely flooded by your replies :)
here my quotations
On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Melanie <ms.tra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roberto,
>
> By 'human-like language', do you mean English, French, Chinese, etc.?
yes

> By 'learning', do you mean the natural immersion process of acquiring language, for example as children do it (as opposed to taking >French 101)?
definitely, "natural immersion" is a phrase perfectly fitting my thoughts

> Do you want to find parallels between how babies begin to point to the moon and say 'moon', and how children begin to make patterns and >abstractions and so on, and then share their ideas with others?
fairly so;

reshaping my point, this is the problem i'm interested in:
1. a child can learn one or even more languages, almost without worries;
probably, you know many perfectly double-native-speakers

2. as you have highlighted, math is a human language, by which means
we address practical or theoretical objects

I don't know if this is true...it's a tool expressed with language...it's a proper subset of language...I don't know if I would call it a language.  Like a set of voice commands a computer understands...so severely reduced from what a real language can do...I'm just not sure it's accurate to call it that.  Similarly with computer "languages"...they are more just a set of tools for making the computer do what you want.  Could you really have a philosophical conversation or tell what you did today with them?

Anyway, beside the point.

3. so, the question was: is it possible for a child to learn
mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method,
with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do
for their parents' language) ? please, forgive me, i know these terms
can lead to hundreds of interpretations;

This, I think, is a very interesting question.  I have wondered pretty much exactly the same thing, with a question that goes something like this:

Language learning seems hard when we're old, but is clearly something kids do naturally (I wouldn't say it's easy, but it is done naturally.  I imagine it takes up a huge amount of mental processing.  I doubt we really know whether or not what I imagine is true, though.)  So it's a natural question to ask why we pretty much universally learn language and don't universally learn math, and whether what works for A would work for B.

Actually, it's possible that we already know the answer to this, we just don't realize that we know it.

So, for language, the following generally hold:

(1) You are surrounded with proficient mentors, from before you were born (you pick up things like consonant distinction in the womb iirc).

(2) These mentors are always demonstrating the use of language and its value, and they pretty much always do it naturally and in context.  They talk to you in it well before you understand what they are saying, but they also patiently dial back the complexity of their use in order to help you figure out what is going on.  They have no doubt that you will eventually pick it up and therefore generally don't rush you, although they do enthusiastically encourage you every time you take even a little step in the right direction.  Partial success is rewarded handsomely (my 2yo daughter says "wah-er" for water, I am thrilled!  It's wrong, it would sound stupid for an adult to say it that way, but I know what she means and so we can communicate!  Woo hoo!).

(3)  The usefulness of the skill is utterly, unquestionably, obvious.  People who can talk can get big people to get them stuff!  They can get exactly what they want!  It's soooo much more efficient than simply wailing!  It must seem like magic--an older sibling makes some kind of babbling sound with their mouth, and they get a cookie!  How does that work?  I must figure this out!

OK, now compare that to math.  Usually your first math teacher (at least in America) doesn't even like math, is only in teaching because they loved reading and wanted to share that love with little kids and help them read, actually hated math and if they could avoid teaching it they would.

The skill is presented completely abstract from anything that is actually useful.  Word problems may use things like toy robots or whatever to try to be interesting to kids, but kids can see right through that.  I remember distinctly from 7th grade how they would have word problems about buying records at a music store or whatever and thinking "they are just doing that to try to make it relate to us".  It always sounded fake, and never increased my interest in the outcome of the problem.

Now, another thing---back to where I think we already know the answer.  I'll bet that if you look at situations where people are surrounded by people who are proficient in math and where they can see the obvious value of it, that they pick up the mathematics at a much, much faster rate than in a classroom.  You could probably study this and find it out, I'm guessing someone has (whether they described it like I am or not).  Consider even the contrived situation of a physics class where the students are taught some calculus or trig in order to be able to do the problems.  Simply based on the fact that those skills will be used to accomplish something they "want" to do (as much as anyone in a physics class actually wants to do physics), I'll bet the retention level goes way up.

I do think that math shares a place with language in that it's something our brains seem kind of hard-wired to be able not just to do, but to enjoy doing.  People learn language well because we don't try to teach it.  I think in the situations where mathematics absorption/practice/natural gains in proficiency mimics the language learning environment, the acquisition is much closer to what happens with language.  I would be willing to bet money on the outcome of any study done along this line--find a situation that mimics the three conditions above and look at the success rate of the learners compared to that of a classroom.

"Cash register operator" (before the current registers that do all the math for you) would probably have been a good place to look at this.  I'll bet that people from all walks of life with various levels of success or failure at school math ended up getting really good at the addition and subtraction required to make correct change when they started working as cash register operators.

The problem with math classes is that they try to teach math, rather than, say, answering the questions kids have about math, or showing them cool math stuff that they find intrinsically interesting, or whatever.  You would have tremendous success if you were answering questions kids already had in their minds rather than making up a bunch of questions and trying to force the kids to learn to answer them.  If you did that (and we do), you'd probably get a success rate similar to what we get in foreign language classes in high school--how many people come out of those as proficient speakers?

Granted, kids in elementary school probably don't have a bunch of math questions in their heads.  Fine.  Use the time to show them interesting things that use mathematics.  Generate questions for next year with interesting games or toys or whatever.

And that brings up a good question--what does a mathematically immersive environment look like?  Meaning an environment that is as immersive mathematically as our current environments are linguistically.  What would the toys look like, what kind of books or videos or whatever.  And not contrived stuff, but naturally rich with mathematics (although I admit that what I'm talking about would be a deliberate modification as opposed to the natural environment of "people talking to each other all day" that we experience with language).

One example would be if you had an alphabet puzzle with deliberately and instructively symmetrical pieces.  Like, say they are transparent and have a picture embedded in them (and a complimentary part in the puzzle's base) that is different when you put the Z in one way than it is when you put the Z in the other way.  You are deliberately making it worth the kid's while to notice the 180 degree rotational symmetry of that piece.  What if we went all-out and tried to figure out how to enrich our environments mathematically like that?  I'm just guessing, again, but I would bet that the results would be dramatic.

mike

kirby urner

Oct 29, 2010, 2:20:34 PM10/29/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:

<< ... >>

>> 2. as you have highlighted, math is a human language, by which means
>> we address practical or theoretical objects
>
> I don't know if this is true...it's a tool expressed with language...it's a
> proper subset of language...I don't know if I would call it a language.
>  Like a set of voice commands a computer understands...so severely reduced
> from what a real language can do...I'm just not sure it's accurate to call
> it that.  Similarly with computer "languages"...they are more just a set of
> tools for making the computer do what you want.  Could you really have a
> philosophical conversation or tell what you did today with them?
> Anyway, beside the point.

We could leave aside whether the assertion is true or not, taking
a page from the mathematicians in agreeing to premises, which
or not proved (not being proved theorems) but simply rules of the
road.

Coming from a background in philosophy, studying Wittgenstein
(whom I never met) at Princeton, I'm prone to think of the game of
chess as a language game, and I'm fine with calling it mathematical
to boot, if that serves some purpose.

Look at the number of notations used to communicate chess,
including the board itself, used in various styles. I played with
a fairly photo-realistic set of rendered pieces while waiting for
the bus 14 the other day. Is that immersed in a "mathematical
world"? I'd say so. And yet one could never order poached
eggs in the language of chess, unless bending the rules in
some way. **

> I do think that math shares a place with language in that it's something our
> brains seem kind of hard-wired to be able not just to do, but to enjoy
> doing.  People learn language well because we don't try to teach it.  I
> think in the situations where mathematics absorption/practice/natural gains
> in proficiency mimics the language learning environment, the acquisition is
> much closer to what happens with language.  I would be willing to bet money
> on the outcome of any study done along this line--find a situation that
> mimics the three conditions above and look at the success rate of the
> learners compared to that of a classroom.

What I'm projecting as likely is the level of biochemistry in everyday
language appears to skyrocket, as people take a greater interest in
what they're consuming. We've all heard of mindless consumerism,
but once you really start thinking about it...

And for biochemistry to make sense, you need a lot of discrete
mathematics. It'll be how adults talk. Pictures of molecules, amino
acids... somewhat like chess. Kids two generations hence will
sound a lot more like medical doctors than we do (unless we're
already medical doctors, or talk somewhat that way).

Kirby

kirby urner

Nov 2, 2010, 5:53:47 PM11/2/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM, kirby urner <kirby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey roberto, it's a twisted question that you ask, because
> mathematics is nothing if not a human language.  Who else
> would it be for?  Dolphins?  ETs?  Maybe, but not originally.
>
> We might need to pause and ask what "mathematics" could
> mean.

More along these lines, posing questions:

An important concept I wish to get across to students involves
surrounding a ball with more balls of the same size. Were
these circles, I might use coins (again, all the same radius).

The verbal descriptions (example below) plus various visuals,
plus an actual tactile model (something to hold), is about all
that I'd need to anchor the concepts. But then a student has
to be fluent enough in the first place, to connect the words
to the pictures and vice versa.

Example:

"""
Six balls on a table surround a central nuclear ball, all
have the same radius. Above and below this plane of
seven balls (one in the center, six around), we have
valleys where more balls will nest. I am able to fit three
more balls above, and three more below, for a total of
12 balls around the nuclear ball.
"""

Then comes a picture, and an animation:
http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s02/figs/f2201.html
http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/xtals101.html (top right)

"""
Then comes more elaboration, fine tuning, even caveats.
There's more than one way to orient those additional
triangles of three balls (one above, one below) relative
to each other. One way gives the vertexes of a shape
called a cuboctahedron (depicted above).

The cuboctahedron may be described in terms of four
intersecting hexagons. The pattern of six balls around
a nuclear ball may be found in four planes.
"""

Making the above clear might involve more pictures,
more hands on. So many students would just glaze
over trying to read paragraphs like this. Part of it is
not knowing how to subvocalize, which for many
readers interrupts their reading comprehension.
How to pronounce "cuboctahedron" then?

So are these "mathematical" paragraphs? Some (including
me) would probably call this "descriptive geometry". There's
a vocabulary, words such as "polyhedron" and "sphere
packing". Developing familiarity with this terrain might
involve looking at closest packed fruit stacked up in
supermarkets. The textbooks often go there for imagery.

On the other hand, coughing up a lot of XYZ coordinates
or vector notation might *look* more like what people
think of as mathematical, but if the aim is to get mental
imagery across, from human A to human B, then is all
this notational claptrap really necessary?

On the contrary, if you're trying to program a computer
to generate these animations (cartoons), then yes, you'll
want your XYZ (or other) coordinates. But if it's just one
storyboard artist talking to another... words and sketches,
a few models, should do the job, no?

A lot of "mathematical notation" serves no purpose (yet).

How might we continue with our descriptive geometry then?

"""
A second layer of balls around the first layer of twelve
will conform to the same cuboctahedral shape, consisting
of 8 triangular facets and 6 square ones (for a total of 14
in all). The next layer of balls after the layer of 12 will
contain 42 balls. The next layer after than will contain
92 balls, then 162. Picture a growing cuboctahedron with
more and more balls, organized in successive layers.
The number of balls in layer L, starting with L = 1, is
given by the equation N = 10 * L * L + 2.
"""

We now have a sequence of numbers associated with a
geometric shape. No XYZ coordinates have been introduced.
The sequence is 1, 12, 42, 92, 162.... 10*L+L + 2. There
seems to be some caveat about L=0, as then we'd like
1, not 2. A computer program might involve conditional
branching. Lots of ways to go. We could look up the above
sequence in the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.

Continuing...

"""
"All of these numbers are in fact found in actual viruses,
12 for certain bacteriophages, 42 for wart viruses, 92 for
reovirus, 162 for herpesvirus, 252 for adenovirus and 812
for a virus attacking crane-flies (Tipula or daddy-long-legs)"

- The Natural History of Viruses
by C.H. Andrews (W.W. Norton R Co., 1967).
"""
http://www.4dsolutions.net/synergetica/synergetica2.html

We have clearly entered the domain of biology and/or
biochemistry somehow, with this number sequence. A
connection to make is from the cuboctahedron, the shape
we've been dealing with, and the icosahedron, which is
the shape of the viral sheath, the housing for the RNA.
The passage above refers to the number of capsomeres
in various viral "capsids" (these containers).

Going back to the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer
Sequences, we find that the "cuboctahedral numbers"
and "icosahedral numbers" are the same sequence.
Why is that? Again, we resort to a cartoon, an
animation, not to a lot of squiggles / notation of a
cryptic nature. We're talking human-to-human, not
human-to-machine. There's a way the balls rearrange.
To do this, you need to gut the internals (take out
the interior layers) and just work with one hollow
shell at a time.

Time for another picture (scroll down to Fig. 466.00a ):
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numeracy0.html
(plus there's an animated GIF right next to it)

So here we've made a lot of links, starting from ball
packing, moving through some geometric concepts
(e.g. hexagons), introducing an algebraic formula
(in terms of L) and another geometric transformation
(cuboctahedron <--> icosahedron).

Students able to communicate with one another in
terms of sketches, descriptions, hyperlinks to related
topics: are they communicating in a "math language"?

They are communicating mathematical concepts by
means of language, I think we could say.

I hope the above provides some useful grist for the
mill. We're talking about what constitutes a mathematical
language.

In this thread, we've touched on the idea of "immersion"
i.e. what would it be like to be surrounded by people
"speaking math".

I'm suggesting that when it comes to conveying concepts,
ordinary language may well serve a critical role, however it
tends to be abetted with specific shop talks. Machinists,
people who work with machinery, are quite familiar with this
pattern. They've learned to visualize, based on a shared
vocabulary. The need for precision is met.

Adding a lot of XYZ coordinates with accuracy to nine
decimals might be all well and good for programming
a computer, but lets not confuse these possibilities with
necessary requirements.

If we just had one Turing Complete computer language
(pick one, any one), would we have all we need to express
mathematical ideas?

No, I don't think so.

Nor is any one logic notation or set of symbols in itself
sufficient, in my estimation, to glue our thinking together
into coherent and systematic views.

We actually require human languages to make sense of
our mathematics, to provide context. Human languages
are not ancillary, not second banana. They remain core.
Which is why I think exercising one's ability to
write / read / speak a kind of descriptive geometry
language is critical. It's a fluency we're in danger of losing
and/or not developing.

People know what "mental arithmetic" means (the ability
to do some simple computations "in one's head"). What
would "mental geometry" mean in contrast? Should we be
developing this ability in parallel with mental arithmetic
capabilities?

Having students collaborate on "geometry cartoons" at whatever
level of proficiency, would seem a great way to go. Just learning
what all the Platonics have in common, versus the Archimedeans,
is a great way to approach the idea of "filtering on criteria" (an
idea with very wide application).

Learning to count edges, faces and vertexes is its own set of skills.

Deducing some facts about a shape, given other facts, is a bridge
to the idea of "proofs". Trigonometry is like this: from parts of
the triangle, and generalizations about all triangles, derive other
parts of the triangle. That's a metaphor for thinking in general:
from parts, plus a sense of the whole (semi-intuitive), get to
other parts. Non-computational leaps may occur. Sometimes
the reasoning is post hoc, after flashes of insight (Penrose).

In my view, we've gotten side tracked by a lot of the squiggles,
the cryptic / dense notations, at the expense of the visual
imagination (blame Bourbaki if you like). From traditional
schooling, we learn that "flatland" geometry is somewhat
computationally intensive (using XY analytic coordinates)
but that "spatial" geometry is even more difficult and intensive.

We have become overly intimidated by our own projections
of what is required to "talk sense" about space.

On the other hand, we naturally live and breath as spatial
creatures. No one has ever taken that "flatlander" point of
view such as we're asked to imagine in Abbott's 'Flatland'.

Just describing spatial stuff in a form closer to ordinary
prose (examples above), abetting with animations (such as
Youtubes) could do wonders for math-science fluency I'm
thinking.

The algebra (vectors, matrices etc.) comes into the picture
over time, but with this more sophisticated visual imagination
already a fait accompli in more cases.

Spatial geometry doesn't have to be supported from below
with all kinds of notational claptrap. On the contrary, it's
the most natural thing in the world for language to wrap
our minds around scenery, vistas, architectures -- and
that's what mental geometry (and/or geography) is all about.

Kirby

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Nov 3, 2010, 12:32:27 AM11/3/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Well said Kirby,

I might add that all those " ...squiggles, the cryptic / dense notations,..." are the results of people looking at spatial geometries, making notes about their observations and generalizations, then forgetting they saw anything. Just because people discovered this stuff a long time ago does not mean students today can't discover it for themselves; that would make it far more meaningful than what can be found in any book.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

reshaping my point, this is the problem i'm interested in:
1. a child can learn one or even more languages, almost without worries;
probably, you know many perfectly double-native-speakers
2. as you have highlighted, math is a human language, by which means
we address practical or theoretical objects
3. so, the question was: is it possible for a child to learn
mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method,
with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do
for their parents' language) ? please, forgive me, i know these terms
can lead to hundreds of interpretations;

There is an indirect proof: a child who has NOT done math until a certain age will not develop certain types of reasoning, such as algebraic. Savants can do math without much outside intervention, though. Something to think about!

3.1 a little fork out of the previous question (but it's not my main
concern now):
as far as regards math objects (numbers, variables, equations,
functions, etc.) would you agree to look at human languages as
super-languages who stay on top of math-language and are heavily
linked to it, such that you use them to manage and communicate math
objects to each other ? (of course you can do millions of other
different things with languages ...)
could you *speak* (i mean "read") a math equation *without* using a
human language ?

The answer is probably, "It depends." There are certain problems that aren't language-based for me, at least I don't think so. There was a problem about loops in a grid during GeoGebra-NA in Ithaca which I solved visually, and it did not feel like any language was involved. Equations like x+3=2 on the other hand go through language for me. Preferably Russian :-)

Working on my accent with Melanie helps to see a lot of connections to surprisingly mathy brain parts. For example, order is of much importance - so things that have to do with commutativity are probably language-mediated. I can say "Max and Dan" much better than I can say "Dan and Max."

I am planning a family experiment for inviting parents to experiment with their babies, making their speaking and the environment more math-rich. I wonder what it will do.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

kirby urner

Nov 3, 2010, 9:29:27 PM11/3/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Bradford, very true.

My friend and colleague Glenn Stockton (whom I've mentioned before as a "Neolithic Math teacher") discovered the Mobius strip for himself, complete with all the astonishment and wonder that comes from realizing it just has the one side.

But when he showed it to his teacher, the response was cold:  this had already been discovered by someone else.

Another friend, Steve Holden was really interested in chemistry and had been studying concepts on his own.

When he went up to the teacher after class one day, with some questions, he was informed those topics would not be touched upon this semester, implying he should stick to the assigned readings.  He gave up on chemistry and went into electronics instead (today he's chairman of the Python Software Foundation).

People have many ways to kill off the excitement of discovery in kids, and one is to keep reminding them they're not the first.

This may sound cruel and unprofessional, but then the discipline we call mathematics has this competitive aspect, where only new discoveries get rewarded.

Kirby

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Nov 3, 2010, 10:01:27 PM11/3/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

Here is a real life math problem.

http://xkcd.com/135/?ref=nf

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MathFuture" group.

Costello, Rob R

Nov 6, 2010, 10:10:46 AM11/6/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM, roberto <robe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> reshaping my point, this is the problem i'm interested in:
> 1. a child can learn one or even more languages, almost without worries;
> probably, you know many perfectly double-native-speakers
> 2. as you have highlighted, math is a human language, by which means
> we address practical or theoretical objects
> 3. so, the question was: is it possible for a child to learn
> mathematics (up to a certain extent) by a natural immersion method,
> with little or no guidance but simply "listening" to it (as they do
> for their parents' language) ? please, forgive me, i know these terms
> can lead to hundreds of interpretations;

similar question posed by Seymour Papert. Made the point that if you look at poor results overall of US students learning foreign languages, say French, you'd conclude those kids didn't have much aptitude for that learning ... yet take the same children and raise them in France, and it happens more naturally; and with fluent results

so he posed the possibility of 'Mathland' - ie a culture that does for math learners what living in France does for learning French; ie supporting the maths learning to occur somewhat parallel to language acquisition

(i notice that the Suzuki method makes the same claim for music learning - perhaps with more traction; more methods that are achieving impressive results)

a key part of Papert's proposed culture of mathland, was using computers to explore interesting mathematical ideas and approaches : making abstract concepts more intuitive and more concrete, and allowing explorations in different ways ...

his Mindstorms book captures a lot of this : and for me, its a powerful argument ... has the role of the computer changing both the mode of learning, and the content of what we think of as school level maths ... a often quoted example being that a circle can be defined as the process of taking 360 little steps forward and to the right :

repeat 360 [fd 1 rt1] (in logo style)

maybe more intuitive than

x^2+y^2=r^2 etc

and perhaps closer to vector calculus models, without needing to spell that out !

makes a lot of sense for me .. explorations with spreadsheets, or with programming, always feel richer to me ..

although i'd say the impact of the Papert ideas on curriculum have, in the end, been negligible; the Logo era seems to have ebbed...

(he picked up on the 'grammar of schooling' to refer to the inertia of schooling : its tendency to reproduce itself and swallow promising innovations..)

yet there is a reprise of 'computational thinking' : eg here

http://www.google.com/edu/computational-thinking/resources.html

outside formal schooling - interesting

: the papert paper quoted there (An Exploration in the Space of Mathematics Educations) is a typically provocative examination of what could be

> 3.1 a little fork out of the previous question (but it's not my main
> concern now):
> as far as regards math objects (numbers, variables, equations,
> functions, etc.) would you agree to look at human languages as
> super-languages who stay on top of math-language and are heavily
> linked to it, such that you use them to manage and communicate math
> objects to each other ? (of course you can do millions of other
> different things with languages ...)

not my area, but i gather many think this way : that the common meanings of language we use and develop underpin the more formal and precise usage in mathematics

> could you *speak* (i mean "read") a math equation *without* using a
> human language ?

not sure that question makes sense : if a human is doing the reading, are we sure that ruling out language is possible? eg even in an apparently graphical mode of perception, or an appreciation of underlying maths structures rather than surface words or symbols; does it make sense to rule language out of all that..

winmail.dat

Edward Cherlin

Nov 8, 2010, 3:40:38 PM11/8/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a version of Mathland in Squeak/Etoys, as part of the
Sugar education software.

I wrote about the use of OLPC XOs in literacy, as a substitute for the
parent reading storybooks to children. The child should still sit on
someone's lap with the computer "reading" the stories.

Now imagine an interactive play world where each game has a
mathematical point. I'm thinking about how to teach fractions with pie
slices. In principle, I know how to teach the invert and multiply rule
for dividing fractions, but I'm not ready to create the software and
test the idea. I have to finish a "book" on discovery first. You can
look at a partial draft at

http://www.booki.cc/discovering-discovery/

although I don't think it will make much sense if you don't have an XO
or some other version of Sugar at hand. Possibly not even then. ^_^

LFS

Nov 8, 2010, 3:53:51 PM11/8/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Hiya Edward.
I so think this is a cool idea.
Can't try your link (no xo), but was interested in the "invert and multiply".

Today I was trying to explain why 1/(1/2) is 2 without this rule so I said and drew
(a) 8/2 means "How many pieces of size 2 in 8?" Answer: 4.
(b) 1/(1/2) means "How many pieces of size 1/2 in 1?" Answer: 2.

It is so far back in the dark ages I cannot remember how my teachers explained dividing by fractions. Is this the way you explain this?
Linda

Can't try your link (no xo), but was interested in the "invert and multiply".

Today I was trying to explain why 1/(1/2) is 2 without this rule so I said and drew
(a) 8/2 means "How many pieces of size 2 in 8?" Answer: 4.
(b) 1/(1/2) means "How many pieces of size 1/2 in 1?" Answer: 2.

It is so far back in the dark ages I cannot remember how my teachers explained dividing by fractions. Is this the way you explain this?

I think the most pedagogically sound approach is to teach them this couplet:

Ours is not to wonder why
Just invert and multiply

mike

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Nov 8, 2010, 6:16:45 PM11/8/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Talk about "...far back in the dark ages"

"Ours is not to wonder why
Just invert and multiply"

Even if I don't remember what to do, I will know to do what I am told and not to question.
What better way to kill the joy of wonderment.

Can't we do better than this?

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Sue VanHattum

Nov 8, 2010, 7:12:55 PM11/8/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Mike wrote:
>I think the most pedagogically sound approach is to teach them this couplet:
>Ours is not to wonder why
>Just invert and multiply

Mike, your devil twin took over your typing fingers!

Maria Droujkova

Nov 9, 2010, 7:27:05 AM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Edward, great work!

In case it's of any help, here is my take on fraction division, with three different models that make sense:
- Rectangle model
- Common denominator
- Ratio to one

Different people like different models better, and preferences are rather strong.

http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/Divide+a+fraction+by+a+fraction

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

milo gardner

Nov 9, 2010, 9:24:03 AM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria,

Thank you for the "Bud Abbot and Lou Costello" and "Ma and Pa Kettle" proof videos.

Th two videos shows that modern tesching methods that divide by fractions can be meaningless unless a pertinent proof is attached by the student.

Two of your three methods

- Rectangle model
- Common denominator
- Ratio to one

were recorded in 1650 BCE by Ahmes, and Egyptian fraction hieratic texts that date to 2050 BCE. For example, a fourth modern method "invert and multiply" method is contained in your post, as well as several of Ahmes' problems.

Several of of Ahmes' problems

http://ahmespapyrus.blogspot.com/2009/01/ahmes-papyrus-new-and-old.html

"divided and multiplied" . One problem was RMP 38.

In RMP 38 Ahmes began with a hekat, a unit of modern 4800 ccm size.  The volume unit was scaled to 320/320 writing 320 ro and multiplied by 7/22 per:

1. 320 ro x 7/22 = 2240/22 = 101 + 9/11 (in unit fractions that need not be cited here)

A scribal proof of the accuracy of the 101 + 9/11 vulgar fraction answer was provided by

2. (101 + 9/11) x 22/7= 2240/22 x 22/7 = 320 ro

Ahmes shows to modern students that numbers partitioned by 1/n multiplications (statements) can be returned to initial numbers by inverting 1/n to n and multiplying (proof).

A modern version "divide and multiply" method applies properties of the ancient common denominator,  unitizing, and proportion ideas contained in Egyptian fraction arithmetic.

The ancient "divide and multiple" method was also discussed in the Berlin Papyrus:  http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/BerlinPapyrusAndSecondDegreeEquations.html, by solving two 2nd degree equations.

My view is that the history of mathematics offers students several ancient doors to understand modern arithmetic operations, including fractional ones that introduce algebra.

Best Regards,

Milo Gardner

Talk about "...far back in the dark ages"

"Ours is not to wonder why
Just invert and multiply"

Even if I don't remember what to do, I will know to do what I am told and not to question.
What better way to kill the joy of wonderment.

Can't we do better than this?

It was a joke--that's what the "I think the most pedagogically sound..." lead-up was about, since there was obviously no pedagogy involved.  I know, I know, I should use smileys.

mike

Maria Droujkova

Nov 9, 2010, 12:09:16 PM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Milo, I put your historical overview in a separate page linked from the fraction division page: http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/Ancient+Egyptians+knew+all+these+models

I would like to separate "models" and "algorithms." Models explain WHY and HOW, but algorithms only show HOW. That's why "invert and multiply" isn't in the list of models. It does not matter what names we call things, though - as long as both WHY and HOW are addressed!

kirby urner

Nov 9, 2010, 1:18:18 PM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Another model that makes some sense involves playing
abstract algebra games, which might be actual games,
on a computer or game board.

Please forgive my somewhat prolix expansion on this
idea as I explain it to myself again. These are dots
I've frequently connected but it doesn't hurt to spiral
through again and teach myself some math.

One might have Add World where two colored blobs
meet and Add ( + ) giving a new colored blob. Then
the Neutral character is introduced, with a special
sign or color. N always leaves a colored blob as it
is: N + b = b; a + N = a.

Then one might have Multiply World where any two
colored blobs meet and Multiply ( * or x), giving a
new colored blob. This time, the Neutral character
is likewise special. M * b = b; b * M = b and so on.

Then we talk about blob combinations in both worlds
that give rise to these respective Neutrals, N and M.
Any pair a, b that adds to give N is called a pair
of inverses in that a and b are considered inverses
of one another. Additive inverses in Add World,
Multiplicative inverses in M world.

Only at this point might we reintroduce subtraction
and division into these respective Worlds. Considered
as a unary operator, - will "flip" a blob into its own
inverse. A second - will flip it back. --a = a. We
could consider / as a unary operator as well. //b = b.
*(/b, b) = M. *(b, /b) = M. +(a, -a) = N and so on.

How we're ready to talk about a / b as shorthand
for a * (/b). Likewise a - b is shorthand for a + (-b).
a/a = a * (/a) = *(a, /a) = M, b - b = b + (-b) =
+(b, -b) = N. We typically use the symbols 1
and 0 in place of M and N.

Written out lexically like this, the above has the
look of somewhat high level math, definitely algebra.
Putting an operator outside parentheses and going
+(b, -b) = N looks somewhat LISP-like. I'm not that
attached to any particular notation. Rather, to keep
minds nimble and flexible, we should keep the
door open to multiple possibilities. At some turn
through the spiral, actually boot Scheme and show
[+ 3 2] as a machine-implemented math notation.

The animations with colored blobs would look more
like particle physics. The operator for the World could
appear once in the corner of the screen, as the colored
blobs zing around and occasionally collide, at which
time the magic happens and a new blob appears.
We could also have blobs spontaneously splitting
apart, e.g. 5 -> 3 + 2 or -3 + 8.

An advantage of starting early with such "particle
physics" cartoons is that we keep coming back
to them even when the nature of the blobs changes.
These could be matrices or polynomials or
permutations (mappings). Or perhaps addition
and multiplication are modulo some modulus Z.

What's fun in the latter case is to gather up all
the "totatives" of the modulus (i.e. positives < modulus
with no factors in common except 1) and put those
in the collision chamber where they multiply
modulo Z. They turn into one another, i.e. the
resulting blob is always a member of the original
set. Each blob has an inverse as well. M and N
are each their own inverses. If Z is prime, even
addition is closed (results are within the original
set).

The above makes sense against a backdrop where
(a) we show a lot of math cartoons and (b) we start
getting into stuff like modulo arithmetic relatively
early. The latter is sometimes called "clock arithmetic"
because time measurement is indeed cyclic, consists
of wheels within wheels. Actually, so are the
individual columns in place notation cyclic i.e. in
base 10 we go 0..1..2... 8..9.. then back to 0. The
idea of "carrying" applies to time keeping as well:
we start the next 24 hours, but have added 1 to
the passing of days "column". The computer
function giving the number of days since Jan 1 1970
is what again? I'm thinking of Unix time, given in
seconds. Yikes this stuff gets complicated (time
measure gets messy):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day

My apologies again for going on at such length.
I have an investment in this "blobs" approach because
of my "math objects" approach using an object oriented
paradigm (as distinct from the more functional
Scheme/LISP based paradigm -- or compare with
APL/J). I have this whole curriculum worked out
where Python classes look like little snakes, or
creatures, given they have __ribs__ and all. So
these blobs become somewhat biological, with
instances being "full of shared internals" one might
say.

Kirby

Kirby

Peter Tierney-Fife

Nov 9, 2010, 2:01:26 PM11/9/10
to MathFuture
A great resource for this group of questions (what does dividing one
fraction by another really mean, and why does "invert and multiply"
work, what are types of models that can represent division of two
fractions, etc.) is the book -Knowing and Teaching Elementary
Mathematics: Teachers' Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in
China and the United States- by Liping Ma. (See chapter 3.)

As for an *algorithm* that can help explain why the invert and
multiply rule works, one way is to multiply each fraction by 1 in the
form of a new compound fraction that is, in both the numerator and the
denominator, the reciprocal of the divisor fraction, then simplify:

original problem: 3/4 ÷ 1/2
multiply each fraction by 1 in the form (2/1)/(2/1): (3/4)([2/1]/
[2/1]) ÷ (1/2)([2/1]/[2/1])
set up as the original fractions each times the numerator of the
inserted fraction, over the common denominator 2/1: ([3/4]*
[2/1]) / (2/1) ÷ ([1/2]*[2/1]) / (2/1)
simplify to just the numerators of the above, since dividing by the
same non-zero denominator value (2/1): ([3/4]*[2/1]) ÷ ([1/2] *
[2/1])
simplify the second part, since 1/2 multiplied by 2/1 is 1, to:
([3/4]*[2/1]) ÷ 1
simplify by removing division by 1, leaving: (3/4)*(2/1), which is
the result of the "invert and multiply" rule

I think.
;-)

-Peter Tierney-Fife

On Nov 9, 12:09 pm, Maria Droujkova <droujk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Milo, I put your historical overview in a separate page linked from the
> fraction division page:http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/Ancient+Egyptians+knew+all+these+mo...
>
> I would like to separate "models" and "algorithms." Models explain WHY and
> HOW, but algorithms only show HOW. That's why "invert and multiply" isn't in
> the list of models. It does not matter what names we call things, though -
> as long as both WHY and HOW are addressed!
>
> Cheers,
> Maria Droujkova
>
> Make math your own, to make your own math.
>
> >http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/BerlinPapyrusAndSecondDegreeEquati...,
> > by solving two 2nd degree equations.
>
> > My view is that the history of mathematics offers students several ancient
> > doors to understand modern arithmetic operations, including fractional ones
> > that introduce algebra.
>
> > Best Regards,
>
> > Milo Gardner

Ihor Charischak

Nov 9, 2010, 9:51:06 AM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Milo,
I found division of fractions a "killer" in my teaching days. I tried everything but stand on my head to get middle schoolers to understand the concept in a way that made sense to them. For many of them the algebraic way (despite it being the most elegant way to do it ) is difficult for math challenged kids to comprehend. Relating it to a story always helps. And one the best stories of all time is mathematics and how it evolved. Thanks for reminding me about that.
-Ihor

Maria Droujkova

Nov 9, 2010, 2:18:53 PM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM, kirby urner <kirby...@gmail.com> wrote:
Another model that makes some sense involves playing
abstract algebra games, which might be actual games,
on a computer or game board.

Please forgive my somewhat prolix expansion on this
idea as I explain it to myself again.  These are dots
I've frequently connected but it doesn't hurt to spiral
through again and teach myself some math.

One might have Add World where two colored blobs
meet and Add ( + ) giving a new colored blob.  Then
the Neutral character is introduced, with a special
sign or color.  N always leaves a colored blob as it
is:  N + b = b;  a + N = a.

I've done something like this with my daughter, when she was 2-4 years old. She called multiplicatively generated worlds "spirit worlds" - for example, the world with 2, 4, 8, 16 in it, "the world of the spirit of two." It was all visually done, of course, through something similar to Fractal Abacus: www.atm.org.uk/journal/micromath/mm181gibson.pdf

The corresponding fractions were there too.  I think she was roleplaying some Miyazaki movie. Additive worlds were "fake" (not real), e.g. 2, 4, 6 wasn't a real world. She also had a special way of talking about 0 and 1. I think I have a conference report about it somewhere.

Cheers,
MariaD

Tim Fahlberg

Nov 9, 2010, 2:52:45 PM11/9/10
to MathFuture
Thank you Mike! Linda shared this thread with me ... or actually I
should say that she first shared your
" I think the most pedagogically sound approach is to teach them this
couplet:
Ours is not to wonder why
Just invert and multiply"

We both had such a great laugh as this so encapsulates the "logic" so
often used to teach math in such a hilarious way!
Now that Linda has introduced me to this wonderful group I'll have to
come in and visit more often.
Thanks again!
-- Tim

On Nov 8, 4:17 pm, Mike South <mso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > <Costello.Ro...@edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
> > mathfuture+...@googlegroups.com<mathfuture%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > Edward Mokurai (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) Cherlin
> > Silent Thunder is my name, and Children are my nation.
> > The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
> >http://www.earthtreasury.org/
>
> > --
>
> > --
> > .

Maria Droujkova

Nov 9, 2010, 3:07:16 PM11/9/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I found the article - Google to the rescue!

The spirit of four: A case study of metaphors and models of number construction

Objectives
Researchers have noted the need for investigation of relationships between different types of reasoning and number construction models (Confrey & Smith, 1995; Olive, 2001; Pepper & Hunting, 1998; Steffe, 1994). The goal of this study was to look at the development of number construction through the lens of metaphor.

In particular, the study investigated the interplay between a largely multiplicative environment and the development of reasoning within this environment that was significantly different from scenarios from other studies.

Conceptual framework
Observing young children makes a strong case for viewing mathematical thinking as fundamentally metaphoric (R. Davis, 1984). Metaphor is the recursive movement between a source and a target that are structurally similar, both changing in the dynamic process of learning (B. Davis, 1996; R. Davis, 1984; English, 1997; Lakoff & Johnson, 1980; Lakoff & Nunez, 1997, 2000; Pimm, 1987; Presmeg, 1997; Sfard, 1997).

For analyzing number construction, I used the counting scheme (Olive, 2001; Steffe, 1994) and the splitting conjecture (Confrey & Smith, 1995; Lehrer, Strom, & Confrey, 2002). The metaphor that connects sources of sharing, folding or similarity, and the target of multiplicative one-to-many actions can be considered the basis of splitting as a cognitive scheme. The metaphor that connects the source of counting and the target of the number sequence is the basis of the counting scheme. In the splitting world multiplicative reasoning develops via grounding metaphors with sources such as sharing. In the counting world multiplicative reasoning is based on the linking metaphor which connects interiorized, reversible counting with iterable units (Olive, 2001; Steffe, 1994).

Modes of inquiry
This paper presents a longitudinal case study of reasoning in a child up to the age of five, whose home environment was restructured to incorporate more multiplicative activities. Researchers often consider metaphor to be private, unformulated and difficult to study (Presmeg, 1997). Additional access issues came from the need for a very young subject necessary to trace the beginnings of number concept development, and from the longitudinal nature of the study. These considerations pointed to the necessity of a close relationship between the subject of the study and the researcher, and I invited my daughter “Katya” to be the subject of the study. As a parent, I was in a privileged position of access to the majority of the details of Katya’s day-to-day life, as well as to the meaning of her utterances and gestures.

Data sources and evidence
Data for the study came from fieldnotes of observations as a participant-observer; videotapes and audiotapes of unstructured and semi-structured interviews; photographs of activity settings; and a collection of artifacts used in activities.

Results
The non-sequential order in which conventional number names first appeared in Katya’s speech corresponded to multiplicative, rather than counting, actions. For example, the utterance “two twos” appeared about eight months earlier than the word “four,” and also earlier than the word “three.” Appearance of “two threes” in games preceded the use of the words “four,” “five” and “six,” and appearance of “two fours” preceded the use of numbers greater than four.

In constructing numbers from one to four, Katya used individual (Presmeg, 1997) metaphors based on instant recognition of the quantity. In these metaphors, the source was an image with a quantity intrinsically embedded in it, such as “dog’s legs” for “four.” Katya mostly used mixed references for multiplicative situations, for example, “two dogs” to signify “two times four.” This availability of two systems of signifiers provided a language necessary to address the asymmetrical nature of the multiplication models Katya used. For example, in the case of “two dogs” the words underlined the distinction between sets and set members in the set model of multiplication. Lack of signifiers for this asymmetry of multiplication models may be problematic and may hinder development of multiplicative reasoning. Confrey and Smith (1995) note that “a counting number is typically used to name the result or outcome of a split” (p.75, italics mine).

If learners see the splitting and counting worlds as isomorphic (Confrey & Smith, 1995), they can understand structures of one world by making parallels with the corresponding structures of the other world. Children’s structure transfer attempts become especially visible when they differ from accepted standards. For example, researchers often focus on children inappropriately applying additive strategies to multiplicative situations (Post, Behr, & Lesh, 1986). Katya frequently tried to use multiplicative relationships instead of additive. For example, when asked to continue a pattern of arrays made out of circles: 2 by 1, 2 by 2, 2 by 3, ___ she attempted to iterate the previous array twice, drawing a 2 by 6 array instead of the expected “2 by 4”. Upon my explanation that a pair of circles is added to the array in each step, Katya said, somewhat angrily, that these pictures “are not real.” Multiplicative relationships were more “real” to her.

In another unexpected example, a square was split into four equal squares, and then each of the small squares was split into four tiny squares. Katya used words signifying size gradients, such as “large, small, and tiny,” and “babies and adults,” consistently across different multiplicative worlds. This metaphor of “growth” united different multiplicative worlds and allowed Katya to compare their structures, working on what a mathematician would call “powers” or “base systems.” Katya used the word “spirit” to denote the action in each world, for example, talking about “the spirit of four” in the split square above. She claimed that if we cut the 4-square piece in four, the result would be zero. Upon cutting, she was surprised that the result was one square. However, in repeated activities with the same picture, or with pictures based on other powers from other split worlds, Katya consistently said that the result of splitting the power base picture would be “zero”, or “nothing,” even after observing again and again that it turned out to be one.

I hypothesized that these names were expressions of metaphors for the origin, and I told Katya that researchers call the entity in question “the origin.” We compared the origins of additive and power-based structures, and Katya felt validated to discover a “real” zero at least at some origin. This instance of isomorphism between additive and multiplicative worlds helped Katya to build her idea of the origin as a “superordinate construct” (Confrey & Smith, 1995), whereas the idea was problematic while she stayed within the multiplicative world.

Deeper understanding of connections between additive and multiplicative reasoning can benefit further theory construction in areas such as number construction, ratio and proportion, or exponential functions. Practitioners can draw on possible uses of metaphors for working with deep mathematical ideas throughout the mathematical curriculum. Since the majority of studies of young children are done in additive environments, research of cases developed in a predominantly multiplicative environment can provide a valuable vantage point for theory development.

Reference
Confrey, J., & Smith, E. (1995). Splitting, covariation, and their role in the development of exponential functions. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 26(1), 66-86.
Davis, B. (1996). Teaching mathematics: Toward a sound alternative. New York: Garland.
Davis, R. (1984). Learning mathematics : The cognitive science approach to mathematics education. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
English, L. D. (1997). Analogies, metaphors and images: Vehicles for mathematical reasoning. In L. D. English (Ed.), Mathematical reasoning: Analogies, metaphors and images (pp. 3-20). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (1980). Metaphors we live by. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Lakoff, G., & Nunez, R. E. (1997). The metaphorical structure of mathematics: Sketching out cognitive foundations for a mind-based mathematics. In L. D. English (Ed.), Mathematical reasoning: Analogies, metaphors and images (pp. 21-92). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Lakoff, G., & Nunez, R. E. (2000). Where mathematics comes from: How the embodied mind brings mathematics into being (1st ed.). New York, NY: Basic Books.
Lehrer, R., Strom, D., & Confrey, J. (2002). Grounding metaphors and inscriptional resonance: Children's Emerging Understanding of mathematical similarity. Cognition and Instruction, 20(3), 359-398.
Olive, J. (2001). Children's number sequences: An explanation of Steffe's constructs and an extrapolation to rational numbers of arithmetic. The Mathematics Educator, 11(1), 4-9.
Pepper, K. L., & Hunting, R. P. (1998). Preschoolers' counting and sharing. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 29(2), 164-184.
Pimm, D. (1987). Speaking mathematically: Communication in mathematics classrooms. London, England; New York, NY: Routledge & K. Paul.
Post, T., Behr, M., & Lesh, R. (1986). Research-based observations about children's learning of rational number concepts. Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics, 8(1), 39-48.
Presmeg, N. C. (1997). Reasoning with metaphors and metonymies in mathematical learning. In L. D. English (Ed.), Mathematical reasoning: Analogies, metaphors and images (pp. 267-280). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Sfard, A. (1997). Commentary: On metaphorical roots of conceptual growth. In L. D. English (Ed.), Mathematical reasoning: Analogies, metaphors and images (pp. 339-372). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Steffe, L. P. (1994). Children's multiplying schemes. In G. Harel & J. Confrey (Eds.), The development of multiplicative reasoning in the learning of mathematics (pp. 3-40). Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Nov 10, 2010, 4:34:58 PM11/10/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Mike it escaped me, but let's face it, internet humor has got to be more than just smileys.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Bradford Hansen-Smith

Nov 10, 2010, 5:06:24 PM11/10/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria, If you can find it I would be interested to know what your daughter thought of the 0 and 1early in her life. I find confusion in ways grownups talk about these two symbols.
When the 0 is folded and reveals 1 diameter, there is no confusion.

Brad

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Nov 10, 2010, 7:08:48 PM11/10/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Maria,

"Katya said, somewhat angrily, that these pictures “are not real.”

I could not have said it more clearly myself, except she said it when she was very young, it took me about fifty years before expressing the same thing; but then we teach math by giving reality to these symbols and it is difficult to hold one own position against the math "experts".

I find the question of origin is on the minds of those closer to their experience of origin than most of us that have been years removed. There is a reason for many people in the last stages of dying reverting back to childhood.
Math language has made a zero of the circle, meaning nothing,  origin then has no meaning except for as we give unit meaning in mathematical context. Sometimes words get in the way of meaningful metaphors of understanding. That may be the only way we can make sense to rid the confusion of ideas and just go back to find meaning in the metaphor of origin.

Bradford Hansen-Smith
Wholemovement
4606 N. Elston #3
Chicago Il 60630
www.wholemovement.com
wholemovement.blogspot.com/

Nov 12, 2010, 5:01:37 AM11/12/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Edward Cherlin <eche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now imagine an interactive play world where each game has a
> mathematical point. I'm thinking about how to teach fractions with pie
this goal is well addressed in this resource, which is mainly for lego
fans but also for many others

http://www.thenxtclassroom.com/sites/thenxtclassroom.com/files/Math%20and%20LEGO%20-%20Sarah%20Tavares.pdf

take a look at the activities in the beginning where it explain
divisions and multiplications using lego bricks

--
roberto