Math for Mystics

Jenn

Mar 4, 2011, 6:53:15 PM3/4/11
to MathFuture
I have been reading a fascinating book titled Math for Mystics by
Renna Shesso.

The subtitle is...."from the fibonacci sequence to luna's labyrinth to
the golden section and other secrets of sacred geometry."

I started reading it because I'm trying to put together a presentation
about math in Harry Potter.
As I've progressed through the book I thought many of you might find
it as interesting as I have.

Peace~ Jenn

Maria Droujkova

Mar 4, 2011, 7:08:35 PM3/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Jenn,

Thank you for the reference! While I am not a mystic, I very much like roleplay, and so do many of my students. This week, we played a Harry Potter-themed round of the Math Trek photography game. You can find the information about the game here: http://naturalmath.wikispaces.com/MathTrekResearchTriangle

The game card (with five "quests"):
CurvesTopicQuests.jpg

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Edward Cherlin

Mar 4, 2011, 8:39:07 PM3/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
The actual Math for Mystics is not any of this "sacred geometry" Love
and Light stuff. In my branch of Zen Buddhism the teaching is "All is
one and all is different." Thus I can use single-valued, two-valued,
and multiple-valued logic as required, and point out where all of that
is irrelevant, as stated in the Malunkyaputta Sutta.

The Daoist version is, "The One is the mother of the myriad things.
The Dao is the mother of the One."

> --

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

jennifer kurtz

Mar 4, 2011, 9:22:37 PM3/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Maria~
I perhaps should have stated that I am not a mystic?  The book caught my eye because of the "luna's labyrinth" reference in the title.  I just have never thought about math in this way and it has been a fun as well as thought provoking read.

Thanks for sharing your game idea.  Would it be ok to share the game during the presentation...it is going to be a workshop geared towards teachers.   We would of course reference your site.   We are trying to link the Harry Potter series and math in a way to make the math more approachable for the kids who adore HP--the "magic of math."   Last year we did the Chemistry of Harry Potter and had a blast (figuratively as well as literally ;-).

Peace~  Jenn

Maria Droujkova

Mar 4, 2011, 10:09:51 PM3/4/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
Jenn,

Let me know if teachers have ideas for the game - I'd be interested in their feedback! Kids had very interesting "spell" ideas - for example, some made hair more curly or straight, some took you to where the line or the curve was going (a three year old boy: "I can go visit my Grandpa!") and some would shrink you so you fit into the given polygon and so on. Teens in the group had whole long stories and RP going.

I recently wrote some encyclopedia articles that required sacred geometry research - there is some really neat stuff in it. And my math club kids loved labyrinths in particular.