On the math of tomorrow...

kirby urner

Dec 11, 2010, 6:00:00 PM12/11/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
"""
As we train up our students on the humanities side,
we will be using math texts as objects of literary criticism.
Rather than be intimidated or made to feel inferior by
the cryptic notations therein, we will apply our tools of
the trade to rank them according to various criteria. We
will think more like publishers. Why did this work get
published and what interests did it serve? What was
the agenda of this curriculum? Why was this topic
left out, why was this one included?

We don't leave such discussion to math teachers.
On the contrary, the process of learning a math is
likewise the process of investigating its location in
whatever phase spaces.
"""

"The math of tomorrow" sounds somewhat retro in flavor,
like some exhibit at a World's Fair, circa 1960s,
Space Needle in the background.  Welcome to Seattle.

"Place based" curricula set the backdrop, as what
UNESCO has been telling us is not to abduct children
into some foreign system run by aliens.  Bridging to
the indigenous cultures by a process of hybridization
is the way to go.  Not a new idea really.

Enter the idea of "memes", coined by Richard Dawkins,
and used all over the place to discuss "cultural
genetics" i.e. the process of cross-pollinating many
decry as "globalization" -- but then how could we escape
our destiny?  Who had the power to apply the brakes?

We've discovered our spherical campus, our "universe city".
That's something to know about.  Geography matters.
Herbert Marshall McLuhan's "Global Village" is Bucky
Fuller's "Spaceship Earth" is our "Global U" of today,
one spherical motherboard, solar powered.**

One aspect of "the math of tomorrow" I'm anticipating is
a more critical mindset.  We've learned that the best way
to counter the worst effects of TV is not to deny access
to TV, but to help cultivate "antibodies" and that means
taste, a sense of some internal guidance system.  We
learn what feeds us, nurtures us, and what drains us
or saps our strength.  Learning mathematics likewise calls
upon our "critical viewing" skills.  The best way to counter
the worst effects of TV is to make it oneself, to learn some
ropes.  As Maria says of mathematics:  make it your own.

Likewise we need to bring to mathematics a sense of
the "opportunity costs" of learning and doing it one way,
instead of these others.  We're aware enough to know
what many have failed to realize:  that we have options.

Could you have learned computer programming while
learning this?  Might robots have been involved?  How
do others go about learning this material?  By rapping
about it?  Do some students apply it in the field?  How?
Crop circles?  Sailing?  Preparing and serving food?
Routing trucks?  Compiling statistics?  Monitoring
sensors?  By means of music?  By building things?

Lets do some research and find out.  Don't wait for
the math books to tell you what they think you should
know.  Search for the applications as a part of your
learning process.  Did you know quaternions are useful
in game engines then?  What's a quaternion?  Who
was Hamilton? Who was Grassmann?

Consider, for example, Milo's point that at some point
a backlash against Teutonic influence in some sectors
of this world meant an across the board deprecation
of number theory in place of a new kind of geometry
teaching.  Cultures go through these evolutionary
or devolutionary phases.  Great leaps forward, great
leaps back.  Paying attention to time-lines heightens
awareness of these patterns.

Mathematics need not be unaware of its own context,
its place in intellectual history.

So, for example, a continuing story today is the rise of
so-called "chaos mathematics" from something considered
the primordial "opposite of order" to something more like
"optimized problem solving strategies".  There's room for
randomness and unpredictability, for butterfly effects.  Many
authors have written about this already, but then which
mathematics classes bother to sketch in these backdrop
threads?  Does junior in algebra class get any kind of
clue or heads up that these trends are happening?  Does
junior learn how to spot trends and follow them?

In art, music and fashion, there's always a sense of
movements and time-lines, of seasons and change.
Some may consider mathematics aloof, quite above
being fashionable.  It's eternal and therefore has the
luxury of being as stodgy and boring as necessary, as
there's no competition.

In contrast, in "the math of tomorrow" we go over textbooks
asking about what they exclude and include, looking for
clues about a culture.  We're anthropologist - detectives.
All math is ethno-math.

Why did just this set of topics make it to the top of the heap,
and why were these others given short shrift?  What were
the story problems like?  Did they share any lore?  How
much of a road map were students given?  What level of
visualization was assumed?  Were there animations?
What were they like?  Did they use puppets or dolls for
any reason?  How about string?  What models, what toys?

Were some children forbidden to learn.  One of my friends
just got back from India and in some zip codes a kid will
be beat up by others, including adults, of caught learning
to read.  Those would be kids of a certain caste or social
station, being groomed to live with without reading skills.
Their dramatic role has already been decided.  The idea
of "social mobility" through skills acquisition is actively
discouraged.

But don't we find reflections of that in almost any culture?
Look at barriers to learning everywhere, starting with the
pricing structure.  Or what barriers are self imposed?
Even with societal pressures removed, you'll find people
self-flagellating because they "have no head for math".
What's the memeplex?  Is there actual guilt involved?  To
what degree do some feel inferior or even "made to feel"
inferior?  There's no one right answer. We'd just like to
know.  Anthropology is interesting.  Martians study
Earthlings in some imaginary worlds.

So what was the teacher like, where this book got used?
leader?  Would mathematics have involved reading a
compass and map?  How much geography might this
math have included?  Did this culture even break it down
into the subjects we're conversant with?  Was "mathematics"
even a separable literature or activity?

The answers are not always obvious.  We project "mathematics"
as an isolated subject as a matter of ethnic training, not
because of any inherent logic or "law" of the universe (or do
you wish to dispute my claim -- I welcome debate).

Remember Socrates and the slave boy.  Remember he was
a "slave boy".  This was a teaching about social class, about
transcending it through reason (Socrates leads him through
a proof, with comprehension).  Socrates was teaching about
the potential for social mobility.  Slaves don't have to stay
slaves. Remember what happened to Socrates.

Nor need women put up with any "2nd class" status.  In
the "girl scout math" genre, the "boy version" is derivative.
Picture women-only submarines.  It's a diverse world out
there ain't it?

In sum, what "the math of tomorrow" is good at is helping
"math" to disappear.  It becomes part of STEM (woven into
the fiber), or a part of STEAM (STEM + Anthropology).

We go back and read "math books" and do the exercises
(some of them) but that doesn't constitute any tacit agreement
to divide up the turf the way they did.  We're free to mix and
match to form the "memeplexes" we prefer.

Better to have "polymath" than "math" will be the decision in
many cases, once they've tasted the difference.

Kirby

(building a curriculum bridge, see Kabul Dome rant:
)

Joe Corneli

Dec 11, 2010, 7:03:22 PM12/11/10
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
> In sum, what "the math of tomorrow" is good at is helping
> "math" to disappear.  It becomes part of STEM (woven into
> the fiber), or a part of STEAM (STEM + Anthropology).

+1000

So that math punks become STEAMpunks. w00000t