functions (math) vs. functions (computer) -- how to take advantage of similarities?

kirby urner

Dec 11, 2011, 5:57:45 PM12/11/11
to mathf...@googlegroups.com
I've started a new thread regarding the partially overlapping
meaning of "function" in the conventional mathematics curriculum,
versus in a neighboring namespace, a few hundred yards
down the hall perhaps.

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2323260&tstart=0
Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)

Some prior threads re Functions on math-teach:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2322036&tstart=15
(offshoot / recap)

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2321858&tstart=15
(recap / rebutt )

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2303870&tstart=30
(anchoring thread)

Mostly me and Joe Niederberger yakking away, not
clearly in disagreement at this point, more into restating
different cases. math-teach is not known for having
"managed debates" (but then few listservs are).

For some writing on imperative versus functional schools:
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7616132&tstart=15
(might be some brewing misunderstandings here, so worth
countering -- notes here? -- if you see 'em)

Kirby