[agenda] meeting @ LivableStreets Alliance / 08.04.09 / 6PM

alec resnick

Aug 3, 2009, 4:57:15 PM8/3/09
to MassDOTDevelopers, Joshua...@eot.state.ma.us
Josh was good enough to write up an agenda for the meeting tomorrow
evening; you can find it at http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfd3snf_221z8vpx4g3
or at the end of this post. There's also a Facebook event you should
feel free to spread around or link to and invite people whom you think
would be interested: http://bit.ly/K4Mm5

Please make suggestions for amendments or additions, and be sure to
bring your questions and thoughts to the meeting tomorrow at 6PM. If
anyone has dietary preferences (vegan, vegetarian, gluten intolerance,
etc.) let Josh know as soon as possible at
Joshua...@eot.state.ma.us

See you guys tomorrow @ 6PM @ the LivableStreets alliance. If any of
you have difficulty finding the location, give me a call at
617.229.5036 anytime.

Gratefully,
a.

------------------------------

# EOT Developer Meeting -- August 4, 2009

## Introduction
+ EOT Introduction -- Josh :: Who we are, what data we have access to,
and what this project is about.
- Group introductions
- EOT’s ask of the developer community
* open conversation, honesty
* understanding of limitations due to budget and resource
constraints.
* We want you to leverage our data to build interesting
applications that help people.
- What data does EOT have?
+ For now, most data is static data
+ Our goal is real time data on highway, transit, and RMV
+ Getting to real time: Demonstrate to EOT/MBTA senior managers
and stakeholders that developers are willing to build useful
applications with our data.

## Discussion
+ Draft Principles Governing this Relationship (Next Page)

+ Review of DRAFT Terms of Service

+ How would you like to see this effort organized? How do you think
EOT should communicate with this group and future developers?

+ Application Idea Discussion
- With current data
- With data we might be able to release in the future?
- Developers Conference this fall
* What should this look like?
* Where should it be held (EOT, part of a larger conference,
elsewhere)?

## Contact Info
+ Joshua Robin
- Joshua...@eot.state.ma.us
- 617.973.8876 (work)
- 914.263.2231 (cell)

+ Twitter: @MassDOTdev

+ Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/massdotdevelopers

## DRAFT EOT + Developers – Relationship Principles

+ Don't abuse our data or our resources
- Doing so defeats our mission long term
- We are looking to develop an API in the future – What might an API
for EOT Developers look like?
- Let us know if you have questions when possible before a problem
occurs relating to our data. e.g. refresh rates on data.

+ We want people to be successful building applications
- Don't forget point number one.
- Benefiting from your work is fine with us.
- Building applications does not increase the likelihood you will be
awarded a contract by EOT now or in the future.

+ This is an experiment.
- That means things can change, and probably will.
- We will do the best we can to work with you – but EOT and state
government are at times a volatile environment

+ Communicate
- You with us: we will be as open and honest as we can be
- Us with you: We are doing this in a new way and through a new type
of relationship.
- Tell us how we can do better, e.g. better use of Twitter or our
Google Group?

Patrick Haney

Aug 4, 2009, 6:48:17 PM8/4/09
to MassDOTDevelopers
I didn't find out about this event until it was too late to attend,
but I'm hoping someone will post notes from the meeting afterwards.
Will there be more events like this in the future?

Thanks,
Patrick

> Josh was good enough to write up an agenda for the meeting tomorrow
> evening; you can find it athttp://docs.google.com/View?id=dfd3snf_221z8vpx4g3

Wheaties

Aug 4, 2009, 8:35:15 PM8/4/09
to MassDOTDevelopers
I got hung up at work and couldn't attend. Also am very interested in
the meeting notes. Besides just the data we'll be provided access
what or data could potentially be provided?

Luke1robb

Aug 7, 2009, 6:25:23 PM8/7/09
to MassDOTDevelopers
Hey Everyone.

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend the meeting last night. EOT
is excited about this effort and the discussion last night was a good
start. The success of this effort really rests with you, the
developer
community. The more we can demonstrate the value of being open, the
easier it will become to open data.

I wanted to follow up with everyone about a few action items discussed
at the meeting:

1. I have posted the agenda from last night as a file on the Google
Group. The "Relationship Principles" have been posted as a Google Doc
and are now open for editing by the group. Laurel (Thank You!) took
the
a first stab at that and has opened the document for all feedback
here:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUrqBpn1IivzZHZqN2t3N18xN2dwNHZxamR4&
hl=en

2. We are working on an inventory of all EOT data. Once we have a
good
list together, we will post this as a Google Doc and build on the list
over time.

Please feel free to email me with any comments or feedback you have.
We
will continue to post updated to the Google Group and Twitter. For
those who were not able to attend, we hope to see you at future
meeting.

Thanks Again.

Josh

Joshua K. Robin