Tip of the Week

Margie

Jan 4, 2010, 2:27:39 PM1/4/10
to MARTIConnect
Welcome back from what I hope was a wonderful and restful holiday
season. I'm sure we'll be having our meeting soon - in the meantime, I
was hoping we could all share a "tip of the week" with one another - a
cool website, new open-source tool - something amazing that has
changed your teaching.

I'd like to share one of my favorites - it's an oldie but a goodie:
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/
Puzzlemaker, from Discovery Education, allows both teachers and
students to create amazing puzzles in minutes. My students love to
make them for one another, or for their kids at home.

Have a great week,
Margie.

Lisa Robertson

Jan 4, 2010, 3:02:23 PM1/4/10
to MARTIConnect
Here's my fav:

delicious.com

I'm just hooked! It is a social bookmarking website. I keep my
favorite sites stored there and can access it from any computer
online. I can also categorize them so I can search easier (similar to
a portaportal, but way cooler since I can also use it as a search
engine to find other highly bookmarked websites by category.) I hope
I have explained it well. Anyone want to chime in to explain more?

-Lisa Rob

Ramsey Ludlow

Jan 4, 2010, 3:33:53 PM1/4/10
to Lisa Robertson, MARTIConnect
Lisa- I agree, but I have found Diigo (diigo.com) even more exciting
because you can do everything you can do with delicious and also organize
bookmarks into separate lists ( as in for a particular class) and make a
group - as in a class - and add sticky notes and comments. So all members
of a class can see what sites are being used for a particular project- and
they can make comments and discuss with each other

I now use delicious for my life and Diigo with classes. I have started a
list to share with the MARTI group and have sent an invitation (I am a
privacy nut, so it is not open to public). However- I am fumbling around
and am not sure that the invite I sent hooks you up to the MARTI list of
bookmarks I have made. Anyone who has a clue should feel free to help me
out! I think Diigp may be the perfect way for us to share online treasures.

thanks,
Ramsey

Margie

Jan 4, 2010, 3:56:29 PM1/4/10
to MARTIConnect
Now I'm psyched to try both, and share them with my classes.

Heather Toth

Jan 4, 2010, 5:16:50 PM1/4/10
to Margie, MARTIConnect
I have used both Delicious and Puzzlemaker(that Margie mentioned in the
original post). I have found Delicious to be a great resource since I can
access it from any computer, not just the one that I happened to use if I
had just bookmarked the same site. I used it a lot when I was looking for
certain things for professional development opportunities and also for my
ESL classes. It is very useful! Originally, when I learned about it in the
Web 2.0 online class, I thought that would be the least used thing of any of
the tools we explored, but guess what? I have used it more than many of the
other tools! It really beats all the little scraps of paper I used to have
around on my computer stand. : ) Especially if I am looking months later
for some site that I really liked but didn't have time at that moment to
explore it more. That's the problem with technology. It is just so
ever-changing and hard to keep up. Ramsey, I'll have to look into Diigo. I
tried to post a reply to you a while ago on the Marti,but for some reason
the system wouldn't allow it. I'm with you on the privacy issues. That is
why I am not a fan of blogging or other such things.

The Puzzlemaker site is a good one. My son especially likes word search and
it is great for that, no matter what subject, you can type in your word list
and it will generate a puzzle. One site that I used a lot when my son was
just beginning to read is http://www.educationalpress.org/ You can make
flash cards, game boards, quizzes, etc in many subjects. I haven't used it
in a while but I think it is a great site.

Don't know if I have mentioned mathtv.com before, but I find this useful in
my Plato lab when students just don't understand the tutorial in Plato.
This site has an instructor and student roles, you can choose the type of
math you need help on and watch a brief video explanation. This is helpful
when the students are working at home and need extra help, or if I am really
busy with many other students. It would also be great for tutors who might
be a little rusty on some of their math skills.

Heather

Margie

Jan 4, 2010, 5:26:35 PM1/4/10
to MARTIConnect
Thanks, you guys - I am going to add all of these awesome links, as
they come in, to our Community Resources page on our Google Site. It's
located at: http://sites.google.com/site/marticonnect/home/community-resources

On Jan 4, 5:16 pm, "Heather Toth" <hat...@tds.net> wrote:
> I have used both Delicious and Puzzlemaker(that Margie mentioned in the
> original post).   I have found Delicious to be a great resource since I can
> access it from any computer, not just the one that I happened to use if I
> had just bookmarked the same site.  I used it a lot when I was looking for
> certain things for professional development opportunities and also for my
> ESL classes.  It is very useful!  Originally, when I learned about it in the
> Web 2.0 online class, I thought that would be the least used thing of any of
> the tools we explored, but guess what?  I have used it more than many of the
> other tools!  It really beats all the little scraps of paper I used to have
> around on my computer stand.  : )  Especially if I am looking months later
> for some site that I really liked but didn't have time at that moment to
> explore it more.  That's the problem with technology.  It is just so
> ever-changing and hard to keep up.  Ramsey, I'll have to look into Diigo.  I
> tried to post a reply to you a while ago on the Marti,but for some reason
> the system wouldn't allow it. I'm with you on the privacy issues.  That is
> why I am not a fan of blogging or other such things.
>
> The Puzzlemaker site is a good one.  My son especially likes word search and
> it is great for that, no matter what subject, you can type in your word list
> and it will generate a puzzle.  One site that I used a lot when my son was

> just beginning to read ishttp://www.educationalpress.org/You can make

Margie

Jan 12, 2010, 9:36:42 AM1/12/10
to MARTIConnect
Here's my new Tip of the Week! The kids and I are doing a unit on
Jules Verne for homeschool - they are watching "Journey to the Center
of the Earth" with Brendan Frasier, which really pumped them up. I
went searching for an online lit site that would allow us to read the
original Verne text for free. After trying out a few, I found DailyLit
- here is the homepage: http://www.dailylit.com/home

You can control how much of the text is sent to students. Makes great
assignments for an online or hybrid class. DailyLit appears to have
tons and tons of free literature available. Have any of you used it
before? Let me know what you think...

To those of you who told us about delicious.com - thanks so much! My
Computer Apps students complained of not having bookmarks available at
school, so I told them about delicious.com. They LOVE IT!!!

On Jan 4, 5:26 pm, Margie <pctuto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, you guys - I am going to add all of these awesome links, as
> they come in, to our Community Resources page on our Google Site. It's
> located at:http://sites.google.com/site/marticonnect/home/community-resources
>
> On Jan 4, 5:16 pm, "Heather Toth" <hat...@tds.net> wrote:
>

> > I have used both Delicious and Puzzlemaker(that Margie mentioned in the
> > original post).   I have found Delicious to be a great resource since I can
> > access it from any computer, not just the one that I happened to use if I
> > had just bookmarked the same site.  I used it a lot when I was looking for
> > certain things for professional development opportunities and also for my
> > ESL classes.  It is very useful!  Originally, when I learned about it in the
> > Web 2.0 online class, I thought that would be the least used thing of any of
> > the tools we explored, but guess what?  I have used it more than many of the
> > other tools!  It really beats all the little scraps of paper I used to have
> > around on my computer stand.  : )  Especially if I am looking months later
> > for some site that I really liked but didn't have time at that moment to
> > explore it more.  That's the problem with technology.  It is just so
> > ever-changing and hard to keep up.  Ramsey, I'll have to look into Diigo.  I
> > tried to post a reply to you a while ago on the Marti,but for some reason
> > the system wouldn't allow it. I'm with you on the privacy issues.  That is
> > why I am not a fan of blogging or other such things.
>
> > The Puzzlemaker site is a good one.  My son especially likes word search and
> > it is great for that, no matter what subject, you can type in your word list
> > and it will generate a puzzle.  One site that I used a lot when my son was

> > just beginning to read ishttp://www.educationalpress.org/Youcan make

Heather Toth

Jan 12, 2010, 10:20:00 AM1/12/10
to Margie, MARTIConnect
Great site Margie! I just saved it in Delicious. So many good books online
there. I think I would like to use it for accessing books for my son who
often has allergic reactions to used books. Thanks.

Have you ever been to Librivox? It is a site where there are downloadable
audio versions of books in the public domain. I noticed Journey to the
Center of the Earth it there, albeit long
http://librivox.org/a-journey-to-the-interior-of-the-earth-by-jules-verne/
There is an older version of the movie that my husband and son watch every
year that is pretty good as well.

Jan 12, 2010, 12:55:50 PM1/12/10
to Margie, MARTIConnect
I highly recommend making your own mp3s - very easy with Audacity (and
there's a nice tutorial at lbrivox.org on how to make mp3s at
http://librivox.org/about-recording/ .

I have been recording short pieces for low level readers and putting them
on mp3s and CDs, whichever works best for the student. And for some
students who are practicing reading aloud ( ESL folks or family literacy
students practicing reading for their kids), they can read a book and make
their own mp3s. Very empowering.

Ramsey Ludlow

Jan 12, 2010, 1:04:40 PM1/12/10
to Ramsey Ludlow, Margie, MARTIConnect
Oh- I forgot http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Books Most of their
recordings cost $- but if you register, their are quite a few free
selections.

Ramsey

Jan 19, 2010, 3:27:19 PM1/19/10
to MARTIConnect
New week- New tip:

For those not on the read/write listserv (which is GREAT),I have found
this site wonderful not just for esl folks:
makebeliefscomix.com-

and be sure to click on the Billztreasurechest and go to
http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/How-to-Play/Educators/ for more
info. A great idea and great fun- and no, I do not let my sts use
"great" over and over. It's getting late...

Margie

Feb 1, 2010, 2:51:52 PM2/1/10
to MARTIConnect
Thanks for all the awesome tips. Delicious and diigo are WONDERFUL -
students and staff are thrilled to bring bookmarks whereever they go.

My lastest love is Picasa Web Albums. Amazing to be able to store pics
safely online, and incredibly easy to share. Works especially well
with Picasa for uploading.

> > Margie.- Hide quoted text -

Ramsey

Feb 8, 2010, 4:16:19 PM2/8/10
to MARTIConnect
Have you all seen the "Digital Nation" program on Frontline? Not to be
missed:

http://tinyurl.com/yb4sbtl