MarcoPolo analogue for Windows users?

Mike Renfro

Jul 25, 2008, 11:01:14 PM7/25/08
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Is there anything comparable to MarcoPolo for those of us stuck with
the other operating system? In case there's not, I've started working
on some Python code to do the evidence sources (have working sources
for IP addresses, attached monitors, active network links, running
applications, and time of day), but I'm more than happy to just use
someone else's program.

David Symonds

Jul 26, 2008, 12:32:24 AM7/26/08
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com

I believe there was an effort to write something like that, initially
targeted at Gnome/Linux, called GeoClue
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue). It might be good
to contribute your effort there, or at least see what they've got
going on.

Dave.

Mike Renfro

Jul 26, 2008, 1:01:34 AM7/26/08
to MarcoPolo Discussion
Looks like GeoClue is just focused on providing physical location to
other applications. So I'm continuing on with my poor imitation of
MarcoPolo. Proof-of-concept Python code is posted at [1].

[1] http://blogs.cae.tntech.edu/mwr/2008/07/25/wheres-marcopolo-for-windows/

David Symonds

Jul 26, 2008, 2:53:30 AM7/26/08
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com

Cool, thanks for sharing that.

Your confidence combination system is different to MarcoPolo's,
incidentally. Instead of summing the confidences, MarcoPolo multiplies
their complement (1-confidence) and then takes the complement of the
product. In your Python code, it would amount to changing lines to
look like:

contexts[ruleContext] *= 1 - ruleStrength
for context in contexts:
print context, 1 - contexts[ruleContext]

Dave.

Chris Karr

Jul 26, 2008, 9:50:37 AM7/26/08
to marcopol...@googlegroups.com
Forgive me if I'm intruding here with some of my own work, but over
the past several months, I've been working on a system similar to
MarcoPolo called Pennyworth:

http://pennyworth.aetherial.net

It's an open-source application that currently runs on the Mac and
uses machine learners to learn and predict changes in user activity,
location, and social context.

I bring this up because it fills a very similar role to MarcoPolo and
this week, I began working on the Windows port of the Pennyworth
system. I have a couple of sensors (evidence sources) running on the
Windows .Net framework and I am aiming to have a complete beta by the
end of August.

If you're interested in this Windows port and would like to be kept up
to date on its development, please e-mail me off-list.

-Chris

David Symonds

Jul 26, 2008, 10:36:04 AM7/26/08
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Chris Karr <cjk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if I'm intruding here with some of my own work, but over
> the past several months, I've been working on a system similar to
> MarcoPolo called Pennyworth:

By all means, go for it. As should be obvious from the fact that
MarcoPolo is free (as in speech) software, I'm interested in better
software overall, not just my own project! I'm always happy for folk
to discuss other related projects, especially their own.

Dave.

Mike Renfro

Jul 26, 2008, 1:15:47 PM7/26/08
to MarcoPolo Discussion
On Jul 26, 1:53 am, "David Symonds" <dsymo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your confidence combination system is different to MarcoPolo's,
> incidentally. Instead of summing the confidences, MarcoPolo multiplies
> their complement (1-confidence) and then takes the complement of the
> product. In your Python code, it would amount to changing lines to
> look like:
>
> contexts[ruleContext] *= 1 - ruleStrength
> for context in contexts:
>   print context, 1 - contexts[ruleContext]

New and improved version is up with these changes, and others (CIDR
addressing for IP addresses, time of day rules, miscellaneous code
cleanup).