Error when calling gdal2tiles

Bas

Nov 14, 2008, 3:49:48 AM11/14/08
to MapTiler User Group
After (fully) installing according to http://help.maptiler.org/betatest/
and starting the shell I tried the command "gdal2tiles --help"

Then I get this error: "This application has failed to start because
ippj-5.3.dll was not found, re-installing the application may fix this
problem."

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-dev\bin\gdal2tiles.py", line 42, in
<module>
import gdal
File "C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-dev\pymod\gdal.py", line 2, in <module>
from osgeo.gdal import deprecation_warn
File "C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-dev\pymod\osgeo\gdal.py", line 7, in
<module>
import _gdal

Where should I put this file? Or is there another problem?

Thanks, Bas

Klokan Petr Pridal

Nov 14, 2008, 1:17:54 PM11/14/08
to MapTiler User Group
Hi Bas,

The error seems to be related to Intel Integrated Performance
Primitives library and OSGeo4W.

Is it possible that you installed libjpeg-ipp package instead of
libjpeg during the gdal-dev installation of OSGeo4W?

I reported the issue on osgeo4w-dev mailing list and I created a
ticket at OSGeo4W trac after discussing problem with FrankW. The
solution will appear here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/27

I would kindly ask anybody who has this problem to join the discussion
on that website and help to localize the problem.
I am not able to reproduce it on my own computer.

Best regards

Klokan Petr Pridal

On Nov 14, 9:49 am, Bas <bas.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After (fully) installing according tohttp://help.maptiler.org/betatest/

Bas

Nov 14, 2008, 4:53:16 PM11/14/08
to MapTiler User Group
I just tried it on another machine, also Windows XP SP2, also on Intel
but now on mobile centrino instead of on P4.
Will try it later on Win2000 maybe.

I hope to get it installed and running somewhere.

Thanks and cheers,
Bas

Klokan Petr Přidal

Nov 15, 2008, 4:24:30 AM11/15/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bas,

Can you please try to uninstall your OSGeo4W (delete the C:\OSGeo4W
directory) and try installation again according the
http://help.maptiler.org/betatest/.
After you choose Advanced install and and instalation of "gdal-dev"
package in OSGeo4W installer:
Can you please have a look that the "libjpeg" package is selected and
the "libjpeg-ipp" is NOT SELECTED in the "Libs" tree?

I receive the same error as you when I install libjpeg-ipp package.
But it is not installed by default on my computer.

Frank asked for that here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/27

Thanks for cooperation

Klokan

Bas

Nov 15, 2008, 5:54:01 AM11/15/08
to MapTiler User Group
Hi Klokan,

I did exactly what you suggested. And it did something good, because
the error was gone. Unfortunately, other error messages appeared. When
calling "gdal2tiles --help", some modules could not be found.
- This application failed to start because NCSEcw.dll was not found.
- This application failed to start because sde.dll was not found.

The command did not halt, the help actually appeared. But before the
help text, it displays errors.
Can't load requested DLL: gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll
Can't load requested DLL: gdal_SDE.dll

I continued trying to convert a JPG to tiles, but I did not succeed.
But I'm unsure this did not succeed because my commands were not right
or because of these errors.
Is it possible to give me a command and an image file that should have
the expected outcome? For example google map tiles?

This was my command:
C:\Documents and Settings\Bas>gdal2tiles --zoom=10-15 f:
\iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif --webviewer=google --
googlekey=ABQIAAAASI9R9ZRkeu9yk_CFPnSkhhTwM0brOpm-
All5BF6PoaKBxRWWERRFgw7Rp2PHFzTB88qDSTGmizTkIg

It resulted in:
gdal2tiles.py: error: Please convert this file to RGB/RGBA and run
gdal2tiles on the result.

From paletted file you can create RGBA file (temp.vrt) by:
gdal_translate -of vrt -expand rgba f:
\iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif temp.vrt
then run:
gdal2tiles temp.vrt

The error messages I noted before in this message were throwing as
well.

Thanks,

Bas

On Nov 15, 10:24 am, "Klokan Petr Přidal" <klo...@klokan.cz> wrote:
> Hi Bas,
>
> Can you please try to uninstall your OSGeo4W (delete the C:\OSGeo4W
> directory) and try installation again according thehttp://help.maptiler.org/betatest/.
> After you choose Advanced install and and instalation of "gdal-dev"
> package in OSGeo4W installer:
> Can you please have a look that the "libjpeg" package is selected and
> the "libjpeg-ipp" is NOT SELECTED in the "Libs" tree?
>
> I receive the same error as you when I install libjpeg-ipp package.
> But it is not installed by default on my computer.
>
> Frank asked for that here:http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/27
>
> Thanks for cooperation
>
> Klokan

Klokan Petr Přidal

Nov 16, 2008, 7:33:43 AM11/16/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bas,

> I did exactly what you suggested. And it did something good, because
> the error was gone. Unfortunately, other error messages appeared. When

> Can't load requested DLL: gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll
> Can't load requested DLL: gdal_SDE.dll

- you did not uninstall properly the old version of OSGeo4W (those DLL
stayed in C:\OSGeo4W\ - delete the whole tree before reinstalling)
- or you have chosen in the installation also packages 'gdal' and/or
'gdal-ecw' and 'gdal-sde**'.

Please, DO NOT CHOOSE any other packages then 'gdal-dev' during installation!

> This was my command:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Bas>gdal2tiles --zoom=10-15 f:
> \iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif --webviewer=google --
> googlekey=ABQIAAAASI9R9ZRkeu9yk_CFPnSkhhTwM0brOpm-
> All5BF6PoaKBxRWWERRFgw7Rp2PHFzTB88qDSTGmizTkIg

I guess what you are trying to process is this file:
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/files/iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif

It is not a map, it is just an image, so you would like to have pan
and zoom web interface for standalone picture without georeference.
That means you need tiles in profile "raster", overlay for Google Maps
or Google Earth does not make sense in this case.

Command would be:
gdal2tiles -p raster iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif

It will again tell you:

> gdal2tiles.py: error: Please convert this file to RGB/RGBA and run
> gdal2tiles on the result.
>
> From paletted file you can create RGBA file (temp.vrt) by:
> gdal_translate -of vrt -expand rgba f:
> \iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif temp.vrt
> then run:
> gdal2tiles temp.vrt

Please just do what gdal2tiles is telling you to do, run command:
gdal_translate -of vrt -expand rgba iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif temp.vrt
and then what you wanted:
gdal2tiles -p raster temp.vrt

This middle step would not be necessary later on in the stable
version. I am embedding the -expand rgba functionality directly into
the application right now.

> Is it possible to give me a command and an image file that should
> have the expected outcome? For example google map tiles?

For geodata you can have a look at the www.maptiler.org website and
links like "Source file: USGS DRG maps" or "Source file:NOAA RNCs".
Command for Google Maps overlay is just "gdal2tiles file.tif".

In case you are not familiar with geographic data, terms like geodetic
datum, map projection etc., please give up the testing of
GDAL2Tiles/MapTiler pre-versions and wait till January for more stable
version with the installer and GUI...

Thank you for your cooperation in testing...

Klokan

Bas

Nov 17, 2008, 4:36:54 AM11/17/08
to MapTiler User Group
Hi Klokan,

Thanks for pointing things out.
My installation was probably too extended. Just installing the gdal-
dev package as extra was doing th trick. Perhaps that can be explained
on the betatest page somewhere? I tried creating tiles and it works
like a charm.

Thanks so much, and I can't wait to play around with the GUI tool.

Bas

On Nov 16, 1:33 pm, "Klokan Petr Přidal" <klo...@klokan.cz> wrote:
> Hi Bas,
>
> > I did exactly what you suggested. And it did something good, because
> > the error was gone. Unfortunately, other error messages appeared. When
> > Can't load requested DLL:  gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll
> > Can't load requested DLL:  gdal_SDE.dll
>
> - you did not uninstall properly the old version of OSGeo4W (those DLL
> stayed in C:\OSGeo4W\ - delete the whole tree before reinstalling)
> - or you have chosen in the installation also packages 'gdal' and/or
> 'gdal-ecw' and 'gdal-sde**'.
>
> Please, DO NOT CHOOSE any other packages then 'gdal-dev' during installation!
>
> > This was my command:
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Bas>gdal2tiles --zoom=10-15 f:
> > \iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif --webviewer=google --
> > googlekey=ABQIAAAASI9R9ZRkeu9yk_CFPnSkhhTwM0brOpm-
> > All5BF6PoaKBxRWWERRFgw7Rp2PHFzTB88qDSTGmizTkIg
>
> I guess what you are trying to process is this file:http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/files/iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600...
>
> It is not a map, it is just an image, so you would like to have pan
> and zoom web interface for standalone picture without georeference.
> That means you need tiles in profile "raster", overlay for Google Maps
> or Google Earth does not make sense in this case.
>
> Command would be:
> gdal2tiles -p raster iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif
>
> It will again tell you:
>
> > gdal2tiles.py: error: Please convert this file to RGB/RGBA and run
> > gdal2tiles on the result.
>
> > From paletted file you can create RGBA file (temp.vrt) by:
> > gdal_translate -of vrt -expand rgba f:
> > \iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif temp.vrt
> > then run:
> > gdal2tiles temp.vrt
>
> Please just do what gdal2tiles is telling you to do, run command:
> gdal_translate -of vrt -expand rgba iA_WebTrends_2007_2_1600x1024.gif temp.vrt
> and then what you wanted:
> gdal2tiles -p raster temp.vrt
>
> This middle step would not be necessary later on in the stable
> version. I am embedding the -expand rgba functionality directly into
> the application right now.
>
> > Is it possible to give me a command and an image file that should
> > have the expected outcome? For example google map tiles?
>
> For geodata you can have a look at thewww.maptiler.orgwebsite and

Klokan Petr Přidal

Nov 17, 2008, 6:06:31 AM11/17/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bas,

> My installation was probably too extended. Just installing the gdal-
> dev package as extra was doing th trick. Perhaps that can be explained
> on the betatest page somewhere?

What exactly do you suggest to add to the betatest page?

I still don't know what steps you did before.. can you please describe
me what you did that you ran into troubles during installation?

> I tried creating tiles and it works like a charm.

Nice to hear that.

> Thanks so much, and I can't wait to play around with the GUI tool.

I can't wait to have it finished but unfortunately it is a lot of work.

Best regards

Klokan

Bas Reus

Nov 17, 2008, 6:20:42 AM11/17/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klokan,

> What exactly do you suggest to add to the betatest page?
To suggest to just install as default after choosing for advanced, and to check the gdal-dev package from the lib tree as well.

> I still don't know what steps you did before.. can you please describe
> me what you did that you ran into troubles during installation?
I did a full installation at first. After your feedback I did a full installation again, but removing some packages from the lib tree. >"Can you please have a look that the "libjpeg" package is selected and the "libjpeg-ipp" is NOT SELECTED in the "Libs" tree?"

Again, thanks a lot.

Klokan Petr Přidal

Nov 17, 2008, 7:14:47 AM11/17/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bas and others,

I updated http://help.maptiler.org/betatest/, I hope it is more correct now.

>> I still don't know what steps you did before.. can you please describe
>> me what you did that you ran into troubles during installation?
> I did a full installation at first. After your feedback I did a full
> installation again, but removing some packages from the lib tree. >"Can you
> please have a look that the "libjpeg" package is selected and the
> "libjpeg-ipp" is NOT SELECTED in the "Libs" tree?"

When you select only "gdal-dev" package during the installation on
your computer is the "libjpeg-ipp" selected as well automatically? Do
you have to manually deselect that one to finish correct installation
of gdal-dev?

Because if yes we have to repair that in OSGeo4W installer... On my
computers "libjpeg-ipp" is not selected by default so the only thing I
have to do is to choose "gdal-dev" only. Nothing more nothing less.

Klokan

Bas Reus

Nov 17, 2008, 4:18:03 PM11/17/08
to mapt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klokan,

The betatest page is updated very well. It would help me get it to work on my machine.
When installing as default, "libjpeg-ipp" is not selected. That is ok as it is. It behaves as you describe.

All the best with the improvements you make!

Bas