Centroid point layer from polygons

Billy Charlton

Mar 10, 2008, 8:31:13 PM3/10/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Hi all, could anyone give me some advice on this:

 I want to create a point.tab from the centroids for a polygon.tab

 thanks in advance

Kind regards, Billy

Billy Charlton

GIS Officer

Selwyn District Council

PO Box 90

Rolleston 7643

Main SDC #      (03) 347 2800

DDI                  (03) 347 2819
Fax #               (03) 347 2799

www.selwyn.govt.nz

David Reid

Mar 10, 2008, 9:23:11 PM3/10/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
If you want points for "all" the polygons, simply save a copy of your polygon table to a new table and open it back up...

Ex. save "mypolys.tab" as "mypoints.tab", open "mypoints.tab", make "mypoints" editable and in the Mapbasic window, enter the following:

Update mypoints Set OBJ = Centroid(OBJ)

This will "convert" your polygons to point objects based on the original centroid while maintaining the data behind the objects.

HTH
David Reid
Colbert County 9-1-1
Colbert County, Alabama