Grid maker problems

mapicture

Apr 2, 2008, 8:24:22 AM4/2/08
to MapInfo-L
Hi List,

I'm having a hard time using Grid Maker making 10 x 10 meter cells for
large areas (> 1500 sq km), the areas exceeds the maximum number of
cells allowed to be made with grid maker (maximum number is
1.048.576). Depending on the width or the hight of the area.

Does anyone have knowledge of a tool for making 10 x 10 meter cells
for large areas?

Regards Samo

Driver, Greg 9434

Apr 2, 2008, 9:04:06 AM4/2/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Samo,

From experience the GridMaker tool can take awhile to run, especially
when you a small grid size covering a large area. One option would be
to create series of grids and then merge them all together to get around
the maximum number restriction. The other alternative, if you have
MapBasic is to edit the GridMaker source code as this is supplied, and
remove the maximum limit restriction.

HTH

Greg Driver

System Administrator
Applications Support
ICT
Surrey Police
NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

Hi List,

Regards Samo

*Internet communications are not secure and therefore Surrey Police does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. This email and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain privileged information and are intended for the named addressee (s) only. They must not be distributed without our consent. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete the message and any attachments from your computer, do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender, and not of Surrey Police. We believe but do not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free. You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking. Surrey Police reserves the right to monitor all email communications through their networks.*

Maurice34

Apr 2, 2008, 3:29:17 PM4/2/08
to MapInfo-L
Hi List,
In the Grid Maker code I see at the beginning:
' Rev 1.1 18 Apr 2000 DRESSEL
' - increase limit on number of cells from 65000 to 1048576
#12631

And further:
Define MAX_CELLS 20648881
What's the "real" maximum of cells number ??
(Grid Maker is too slow to test by myself...!!)

Glen

Apr 3, 2008, 9:11:46 AM4/3/08
to MapInfo-L

why do you need so many? can you do a radial distance and only load
what you need?

Kent.T...@state.mn.us

Apr 3, 2008, 9:32:54 AM4/3/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

I have successfully used grids.mbx to make 2 million grid tables.  You can choose squares, circles, triangles, or hexagons.

____________
Kent Treichel
GIS Analyst
Tax Research
Minnesota Department of Revenue
MS 2230
600 North Robert St
St. Paul, MN 55146-2230
651-556-6150
fax 651-556-3103

mapicture

Apr 4, 2008, 6:56:50 AM4/4/08
to MapInfo-L
Grids.mbx was just the tool I needed. Thanks for the tip :)

Williams, Bill (DPS)

Apr 7, 2008, 6:48:28 PM4/7/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com

Kent

What is this grids.mbx tool of which you speak ?

Is it available on the web and if so can you direct me to its location.

Thanks mate.

Regards

Bill Williams
Senior Researcher, Statistics & Mapping Section
Parliamentary Library
Department of Parliamentary Services
Parliament House
PO Box 6000
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Telephone :  02 62772513
Email:   bill.w...@aph.gov.au

fax 651-556-3103</font

John Elliot

Apr 7, 2008, 9:05:06 PM4/7/08
to mapi...@googlegroups.com
Bill,
Jacques Paris' site
Look for "Files from other origins" on the left hand side.

John

John Elliot
Anzeco Pty. Limited
mineral exploration consulting services