Domain

Jabran

Sep 6, 2009, 5:00:10 PM9/6/09
to map-countr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

It is been for long enough to get map data to a very rich point for Pakistan now. Can we have now a .pk domain (http://maps.google.com.pk)? I don't think it is necessary to have google map server in the country to be placed in a domain like that. I would like to have a say from you and all guys from PK.

Cheers

Regards,
جabran
www.dyzynz.net

Faraz Ahmad

Sep 8, 2009, 5:32:32 AM9/8/09
to map-countr...@googlegroups.com
yes its a good idea. if you open that domain you go directly to pakistan map instead of US map.
Faraz Ahmad
www.farazilu.com
http://farazilu.blogspot.com

Jabran

Sep 8, 2009, 2:38:40 PM9/8/09
to map-countr...@googlegroups.com
No comments from team still as somehow I expected. :) Come on guys, at least answer something on it, it is not a political issue! :)

Just making a a correction to my post. Actually not domain, a sub-domain as Google Maps already has for other countries like UK, US, China, India, Japan.. etc. So currently we are using India's sub-domain for sub-continent. It would be great if Pakistan has its own and so centred when loaded. I know its gonna be a rich requested place sooner. I guess it is not a feature enhancement but an internal request of yours to Google Maps perhaps. Am I right?

Regards,
جabran
www.dyzynz.net

JenMazz

Sep 8, 2009, 6:48:22 PM9/8/09
to Map Your World - Country-specific topics
Dear Jabran & Faraz,

We hear you! I can't make any definitive promises or give you specific
time frames, unfortunately.

Our policy is generally not to pre-announce major new releases, and
the launch of a maps.google.pk domain is big enough and carries with
it enough complexity that it falls squarely under the "do not pre-
announce" category.

We are taking your request very seriously and we will certainly post
an update when we have news that we can share.

Sincerely,

Jen.

On Sep 8, 11:38 am, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No comments from team still as somehow I expected. :) Come on guys, at least
> answer something on it, it is not a political issue! :)
> Just making a a correction to my post. Actually not domain, a sub-domain as
> Google Maps already has for other countries like UK, US, China, India,
> Japan.. etc. So currently we are using India's sub-domain for sub-continent.
> It would be great if Pakistan has its own and so centred when loaded. I know
> its gonna be a rich requested place sooner. I guess it is not a feature
> enhancement but an internal request of yours to Google Maps perhaps. Am I
> right?
>
> Regards,
> جabranwww.dyzynz.net
>
> 2009/9/8 Faraz Ahmad <faraz...@gmail.com>
>

> > yes its a good idea. if you open that domain you go directly to pakistan
> > map instead of US map.
> > Faraz Ahmad
> >www.farazilu.com
> >http://farazilu.blogspot.com

Jabran

Sep 8, 2009, 11:51:42 PM9/8/09
to map-countr...@googlegroups.com
Great. Thanks. :)

Regards,
جabran
www.dyzynz.net

momers

Sep 9, 2009, 12:56:53 AM9/9/09
to Map Your World - Country-specific topics
my vote in too!

google ought to pay more attention to PK! ;)

On Sep 9, 9:51 am, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great. Thanks. :)
> Regards,
> جabranwww.dyzynz.net

rjhintz

Sep 9, 2009, 9:33:16 AM9/9/09
to Map Your World - Country-specific topics
Hi,
Is this considered a "branding" issue or a performance issue?
Both? "Branding" in the sense of showing the .pk brand on the work
that's been done. How does this proposal scale to other countries/all
countries?

(I don't object, especially with the precedent. I'm just interested
in the thinking behind the proposal and as it's being considered.)
--
Rich

Jabran

Sep 9, 2009, 10:26:12 AM9/9/09
to map-countr...@googlegroups.com
Well, we are probably more looking on branding our country with it's
own specific URL as it is for other many countries. It might be
because of usage of Maps in those countries. So do we want because
number of people using maps is already increased a lot since users are
contributing for Pakistsn map at Map Maker. Also we hoping this demand
of using maps will increase more as soon as more features, accurate
maps are done and published. I leave team to answer about performance
as they better know their servers. Cheers

Regards,
جabran
www.dyzynz.net

Sent from iPhone