I am legend book club and film screeings

Skip to the first unread message

Naomi Jacobs

22 Jul 2011, 11:53:1722/07/2011
to manchest...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Since people seemed pretty keen on having some film screenings associated with the book club 'special' in September, i've passed this on to the organisers and we've now set the date as we discussed - three sessions during the middle week of September.

Here is some further information on all the zombie-related activities tied in to the Manchester Science Festival.  You're all welcome to any and all of the events!

Thanks,

Naomi

September sees the beginning of our zombie activities, which culminate in the Manchester Science Festival events, with events based on books which feature the undead:

Book 1: I am Legend by Richard Matheson (1954)

We will be joining with other bookclubs (Bad Bugs Bookclub and Manchester Graphic Novel) to discuss this book, and the MMU trauma screenings will be holding viewings of films adapted from this novel. Screenings begin at 6.00 in the Geoffrey Manton building of MMU:

Sept 13th:  Screening of The Last Man on Earth (1964), followed by Bookclub meeting in Sandbar (will finish around 9.00)

Sept 14th: Screening of The Omega Man (1971)

Sept 15th: Screening of I am Legend (2007) followed by general discussion in Sandbar.

Book 2: World War Z by Max Brooks (2006)

Our activities for Manchester Science Festival will begin on October 24th, with Bad Bugs BookClub holding meeting focusing on World War Z by Max Brooks, held in the Lass O’Gowrie (6.30).

Other Activities

On October 25th, there will be a family friendly event, repeated at 11, 1 and 4 in the Anthony Burgess Foundation  (Engine House, Chorlton Mill, Cambridge Street), where Dr Austin from the Zombie Institute of Theoretical Studies will be advising us on how to behave in a zombie attack. More information on this event and free ticket booking can be found here: http://msf11zombie.eventbrite.com/

 In the evening, you can join us again at the Lass O’Gowrie for a workshop where we discuss parameters for zombie, vampire or werewolf outbreaks alongside those for more traditional infectious diseases, and run a computer simulation of our scenario. A pub quiz will finish complete the event. Tickets are available here, at a cost of £4 per quiz team: http://monsterpubquiz.eventbrite.com

On Thursday 27th October, MMU will be hosting Manchester: the city of the undead, an event which will explore how Manchester has been featured in science fiction and fantasy, to explore imagined and transformed landscapes and people. This event will bring together a panel of advocates for alternative Manchester's followed by questions and discussion.

At the end of all this, you will be much better informed about the epidemiology of diseases caused by a lot of different agents, and how to survive a zombie epidemic!