[MakerGear] Any Howto/tips on making the most of the enhanced operators pack?

onikaze

May 22, 2010, 6:52:27 PM5/22/10
to MakerGear - Gear for Makers
I just got my enhanced pack in and am at a loss at how to utilize it.
I have perused the topics on this list and have not been able to
explicit instructions on how to set up the ceramic heater and
thermistor with the original extruder. I'm not sure how to wire the
thermistor. are the steps similar as described in the wiki , aside
from taping it to the terminal connector? Do I need to cover the
ceramic heater with insulation? if so which should I use? The
insulating fabric or the tape?

Hopefully this is coherent.

Thanks,

Rick Pollack

May 22, 2010, 7:07:02 PM5/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Enhanced Pack Usage:

HeatCore: just twist it on (with the wires toward the insulator so that it is easy to put insulation on). Tighten the HeatCore so that it is flush against the nozzle and there is good thermal contact. (If the HeatCore moves away from the nozzle your hot-end may need to be hotter to register the same temp.)

Thermistor: Slide the PTFE sleeves (very thin and translucent) over the thermistor leads. Then, attach the female crimp pins to the ends of the leads (HeatCores use male crimps - this way you can't accidentally connect the wrong wires). Put the connector (the one with the clip) on the crimps. Then, just tape the thermistor to the nozzle with Kapton tape like you normally do.

You don't need to use insulation with the HeatCore but you'll get a variance from the target temperature setting unless you tweak the PID values. Using insulation (the fabric insulation works great) your target and actual temps should be very close.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Rick

James Markosky

May 22, 2010, 11:30:50 PM5/22/10
to MakerGear - Gear for Makers
I cut the white cloth stuff lengthwise, and wrapped strips of that
around the head of the nozzle until it was the same diameter as my
heat core, then I wrapped both in the woven fiberglass cloth.