Alternate sources for ABS plastic

Spacexula

Feb 13, 2010, 9:32:48 PM2/13/10
to MakerBot Operators
Does anyone here have any experience with ABS filament from
www.plasticweldingrod.com, or www.villageplastics.com? I am running
low on filament (might have 1-2 weeks left), and need to get stocked
again. I only have experience with Makerbot sourced ABS, and really
don't want to deal with issues from a strange formulation.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf ABS supplier where I can order it
through an online store?

I would LOVE to get 10 lb rolls in colors besides natural and black if
possible.

Aragorn86

Feb 14, 2010, 2:24:56 AM2/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
I tried once ABS filament from Reprapsource, and i can tell that it
was completely different animal. It was much harder to extrude and it
had a diameter of 3,1mm, Makerbot filament is 2,9mm. Both filaments
are sold as 3mm but in my opinion the 0,1mm tolerance is pretty
significant.

I dont have any other experiences but personally I will use only
Makerbots ABS with my Makerbot.

On Feb 14, 4:32 am, Spacexula <underwood.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with ABS filament fromwww.plasticweldingrod.com, orwww.villageplastics.com? I am running

Thomas Charron

Feb 14, 2010, 8:59:16 AM2/14/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Couple of guys posting ABS for sale in 10 pound rolls over at the
Reprap forums.

http://dev.forums.reprap.org/read.php?94,28750

COuple of others where posting as well.

> --

-- Thomas

Spacexula

Feb 14, 2010, 10:37:02 AM2/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
I would prefer to purchase from a source someone else has tested.
Just like PLA there are different formulations of ABS. Also ABS
welding rod is not always extruded in a constant diameter (If you
don't care about variations in diameter, you can extrude at a much
higher rate, makeing your rod cheaper, but less friendly to the very
finicky RepRap/Makerbot).

Has anyone actually extruded the ABS that guy over at RepRap is
selling? He doesn't even claim to have a RepRap machine, so who knows
how it actually works.

On Feb 14, 8:59 am, Thomas Charron <twaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Couple of guys posting ABS for sale in 10 pound rolls over at the
> Reprap forums.
>
> http://dev.forums.reprap.org/read.php?94,28750
>
>   COuple of others where posting as well.
>

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Spacexula <underwood.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone here have any experience with ABS filament from

> >www.plasticweldingrod.com, orwww.villageplastics.com? I am running

James Markosky

Feb 14, 2010, 12:12:02 PM2/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
I believe one of the makerbot crew said that village plastics is where
they get their filament from as well. I too would like to find a
source, since they haven't had it in stock in their store in over a
month. I did check out village plastics, but their quote page
wouldn't even let me put ABS as my material type, so they might be
dumping their entire stock to makerbot at the moment.

On Feb 13, 9:32 pm, Spacexula <underwood.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with ABS filament fromwww.plasticweldingrod.com, orwww.villageplastics.com? I am running

Zach 'Hoeken' Smith

Feb 15, 2010, 11:07:39 AM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
thats where we get it from and they probably wont sell it to ya unless you order 300+ LBS.

Thomas Charron

Feb 15, 2010, 11:48:16 AM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Spacexula <underwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I looked up where we've bought our plastic welding rod stock from in
the past. http://www.abbeon.com/store/categoryitems.cfm?catid=91 has
good quality from a welding perspective, but I can't speak for how
accurate their 3mm actually is. We're used it literally for hand
welding of PVC, but they have ABS, and they sell it in spools as low
as 5 pounds.

--
-- Thomas

jet

Feb 15, 2010, 12:11:57 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on an experimental print-head and needed a smaller diameter
of ABS, I ordered it from New Image Plastics:
<http://www.plasticweldingrod.com/>. They do 5# and 10# coils, 30# is
their standard size.

Not only are they familiar with reprap, we had an interesting chat about
people wanting to reload Stratasys cartridges.

Zach 'Hoeken' Smith wrote:
> thats where we get it from and they probably wont sell it to ya unless
> you order 300+ LBS.
>
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Spacexula <underwo...@gmail.com
> <mailto:underwo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Does anyone here have any experience with ABS filament from

> www.plasticweldingrod.com <http://www.plasticweldingrod.com>, or
> www.villageplastics.com <http://www.villageplastics.com>? I am running

> low on filament (might have 1-2 weeks left), and need to get stocked
> again. I only have experience with Makerbot sourced ABS, and really
> don't want to deal with issues from a strange formulation.
>
> Does anyone know of an off the shelf ABS supplier where I can order it
> through an online store?
>
> I would LOVE to get 10 lb rolls in colors besides natural and black if
> possible.
>
> --

> <mailto:makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/makerbot?hl=en.
>

> --

J. E. 'jet' Townsend, IDSA
Design, Fabrication, Hacking
design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net; HF: KG6ZVQ
PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8

Ethan Dicks

Feb 15, 2010, 12:20:37 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:11 PM, jet <allar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on an experimental print-head and needed a smaller diameter of
> ABS, I ordered it from New Image Plastics:
> <http://www.plasticweldingrod.com/>.  They do 5# and 10# coils, 30# is their
> standard size.
>
> Not only are they familiar with reprap, we had an interesting chat about
> people wanting to reload Stratasys cartridges.

Good to hear. They are a couple-hours drive from me (they are in N-E
Ohio, I'm in Central Ohio). I've considered buying from them because
I have friends who live close enough to drive over to pick the plastic
up, saving on shipping charges.

I'm seriously contemplating picking up an assortment of colored ABS
from them for less structural/more artistic projects.

-ethan

Thomas Charron

Feb 15, 2010, 12:23:18 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good to hear.  They are a couple-hours drive from me (they are in N-E
> Ohio, I'm in Central Ohio).  I've considered buying from them because
> I have friends who live close enough to drive over to pick the plastic
> up, saving on shipping charges.

FYI, Village plastics, the source of the ABS most people are using,
is in Norton, Ohio. :-D

--
-- Thomas

Ethan Dicks

Feb 15, 2010, 12:36:01 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

I had no idea. I drive by Norton several times a year, but not usually
during traditional "business hours". I'm even planning on being in
the area this coming Saturday (among other reasons, my mother's family
is up in the North Canton area).

If only I'd have a reason to travel through there when companies were
open - I'd love to see the facilities.

-ethan

jet

Feb 15, 2010, 1:11:51 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ethan Dicks wrote:
> I'm seriously contemplating picking up an assortment of colored ABS
> from them for less structural/more artistic projects.

Maybe we can get together a group order and see if they'd give us a
discount.. I'd like to have 5# each of all the primary/secondary colors
+ neutrals, I wonder if the overhead of doing all those short spools
would wash out if they did 5-10 orders.

Thomas Charron

Feb 15, 2010, 1:54:20 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM, jet <allar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> I'm seriously contemplating picking up an assortment of colored ABS
>> from them for less structural/more artistic projects.
> Maybe we can get together a group order and see if they'd give us a
> discount..  I'd like to have 5# each of all the primary/secondary colors +
> neutrals, I wonder if the overhead of doing all those short spools would
> wash out if they did 5-10 orders.

I've contacted Village Plastics, and gotten some positive responses.
Tommorow they will be getting back to me on the prices for 5 and 30#
orders.

"Our minimum order if in stock is 5#. At the present time we are
running ABS 3mm in black and natural for an order. We try to stock
the black and natural but at the present time we are selling it before
we can get it stocked! If you want colors, we have a 50# minimum for
each color and a $50.00 set up charge."

--
-- Thomas

Ethan Dicks

Feb 15, 2010, 5:13:58 PM2/15/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM, jet <allar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>
>> I'm seriously contemplating picking up an assortment of colored ABS
>> from them for less structural/more artistic projects.
>
> Maybe we can get together a group order and see if they'd give us a
> discount..  I'd like to have 5# each of all the primary/secondary colors +
> neutrals, I wonder if the overhead of doing all those short spools would
> wash out if they did 5-10 orders.

I think I could be persuaded to organize and divy out a group purchase
of 5lb spools of NIP's "standard" colors. I personally am interested
in samples of the lot, so with you, we'd need another 4 parties to
join in if 30lbs is their "standard" run.

I'm not set up as a business, so any pick-up would involve paying NIP
Ohio Sales Tax when collecting the order, then anyone wanting in on
the deal would of course be on the hook for the shipping of dozens of
lbs on top of that. I think ~7% tax would still be cheaper than
shipping several hundred lbs of plastic out of state then dividing it
then re-shipping it to the end users. If tax turns into a larger
portion of the costs, then perhaps it's worth using an established
business entity (with a re-seller and tax certificate on file with the
State) to make the purchase, then only users like myself who are _in_
Ohio would have to pay sales tax (vs out-of-state sales).

It wouldn't be cheap, but if we got enough people together, I think we
could make it happen.

-ethan

P.S. - please correct me if I've misunderstood, but the way I'd see it
work is that NIP would receive one order, it would be picked up, then
split into multiple mixed-color orders, then shipped as several
smaller spools for one total price.

beak90

Feb 17, 2010, 8:28:33 PM2/17/10
to MakerBot Operators
If you guys are just looking for more colors, they have arrived at
Makerbot. Check it out: http://store.makerbot.com/plastic.html
They have red, blue, yellow, and green! Its a bit expensive, but
ordering it on your own would probably be a lot more expensive.

Spacexula

Feb 17, 2010, 9:05:04 PM2/17/10
to MakerBot Operators
No I am looking for Filament that doesn't cost $80 for 5 pounds.

When will the natural be back in stock?