sporadic extruder motor failure in control panel

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 10:55:39 AM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
In the control panel, I get sporadic extruder motor operation. Both
forward and reverse at 255. Sometimes runs for 10 seconds, sometimes
over a minute. No heat or noise, even when extruder nozzle is heated
up. I checked wiring - all secure. Any suggestions?

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 11:00:17 AM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
running an mk5 on thing-o-matic. was printing fine yesterday.

DiyAddicts

Dec 22, 2010, 11:17:28 AM12/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would contact support. I had the same problem and my motor ended up being bad. There are a handful of other people on here with the same problem.

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 11:21:24 AM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
I may have to, but it's frustrating as I stood there and watched as
they tested a new motor for me (the one that shipped with the bot was
DOA).

DiyAddicts

Dec 22, 2010, 12:53:03 PM12/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I understand. As  soon as I get my new motor in  I am going to print some parts out to upgrade to a stepper driven extruder. I am guessing you will being seeing Makerbot coming out with a stepper based solution of their own pretty soon. It would solve so many headaches.

Eggs Benedict

Dec 22, 2010, 1:04:59 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
Hey, I am having the same problem and started another thread on it
here. I got 3 partial prints and now the motor will not turn at all.

Waiting to hear back from support. Will let you know what they say.

Bill Culverhouse

Dec 22, 2010, 1:22:33 PM12/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
The MK5 will take a geared stepper directly, no printing needed. It's just an expensive
motor $50-$60. And you need to get a drive gear with a larger inside diameter or make one.

I only recommend the geared stepper over a printed Wades or Adrian because they offer
much higher torque. But they all get the job done in the end though.

-b

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 1:58:55 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
I've heard back from support - they suggested i reset the board and
check my connections. I reset the board (evidence by my needing to
reverse the x-axis afterwards) and I checked the connections again. I
relayed that to support so now back to waiting. Yea a stepper solution
sounds nice but I wouldn't mind it working without having to spend
even more $

On Dec 22, 1:22 pm, Bill Culverhouse <bill.culverho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > .

DiyAddicts

Dec 22, 2010, 2:37:25 PM12/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am starting to think we have run into another bad batch of motors.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Dec 22, 2010, 2:48:17 PM12/22/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I haven't contacted support but my motor was not working either. It has the surface mount caps under the white cap (right) and looks used. It had no power and wouldn't extrude at all. The one on the left is the working one I had from another exchange. I'm using my original MK4 motor in my MK5 on my Cupcake and now the replacement in the ToM's MK5. I honestly don't remember the verdict on caps or no caps. Didn't someone just remove them and it worked?

image.jpeg

Luis

On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:37 PM, DiyAddicts <adam_...@att.net> wrote:

I am starting to think we have run into another bad batch of motors.

image.jpeg

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 2:59:38 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
Possibly. I've tested the output on the board. The constant is 255 -
output is close to 12 volts (measured at the terminals) when the motor
is running and 0.07 when it's not.

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 6:21:05 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
well, got a new motor, it was running great for about 45 minutes
during a print, and then the motor died again...

James Adams

Dec 22, 2010, 8:17:40 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
Sounds like the board is overheating.

Muel

Dec 22, 2010, 8:21:00 PM12/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
ive had it sit for an hour and retried, with even less success. but if
the board is in fact overheating, how to fix? but if it's completely
cool at the beginning then it should start and stop without incident
at least in the beginning no?

Zip Zap

Jan 5, 2011, 2:47:04 PM1/5/11
to make...@googlegroups.com