Better Live Mousetrap Challenge

Cathal Garvey

Mar 1, 2010, 3:21:47 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com, thing...@googlegroups.com

Hello Rapid Prototypers!
I have a problem. There lives in my house a tiny mouse, and as I am friend to all animals I wish him no harm.

The live mousetrap I tried didn't work: crafty mouse escaped it repeatedly. I also invented a few wacky methods involving pitfalls, narrow bottles full of bloating foods and even tried to suck him out onto a vacuum cleaner head covered with cheesecloth. No avail!

I will soon have a consignment of plastic from RepRapSource, which (once calibrated) will enable me to print and test a variety of designs.

Therefore I am offering a bounty for something:
$25 to the first design that catches the mouse. It must:
- Not harm the mouse
- Be printable on a Makerbot
- Work

That is all! Payment by paypal, Google wallet or Amazon payments. Or other or whatever.

Mouse get!

Steven Dick

Mar 1, 2010, 3:26:46 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Can you estimate size of said mouse?

Bo Lorentzen

Mar 1, 2010, 3:32:28 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
LOL...

Well. the said mouse better be small enough to fit in a 10cm printable better mousetrap.!

Bo

On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Steven Dick wrote:

> Can you estimate size of said mouse?

Peter Davoust

Mar 1, 2010, 3:35:25 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'll think about it and give it a try. Does he usually walk into these traps, or is he(she) a smart little mouse?

-Peter

Bo Lorentzen

Mar 1, 2010, 3:38:24 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh I like the $25 bounty.  particularly on a thingieverse design.. if people start offering bounties for new designs things could become interesting.  somebody in a developing world country might see the $25 as worth a week of design work, significantly improving out humane better mousetraps...

Basic design would be the box with a falling gate in front.   make the gate fall down further than the floor so it can not be picked up again.  oh and stuff it with some cheese or peanutbutter.   in the other end print a grid  maybe 5mm thick.   and a little spear to pin the food on so it don't easily get dragged out while the mouse still have the tail in the gate.

Alternatively... open design with springloaded gate... to keep it down. instead of mushing the mouse, it releases when food is engaged in the other end and slams the gate keeping it shut.

Though, what if the trap works too well, there goes the bounty.  :-)

This ought to be fun.

    Bo

MakerBlock

Mar 1, 2010, 4:01:36 PM3/1/10
to MakerBot Operators
Extra points if this bounty hunting mouse trap incorporates a
reference to Boba Fett.
MakerBlock

bre pettis

Mar 1, 2010, 4:31:43 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, MakerBot is going to sweeten the deal. Whichever mousetrap does the job, we'll add a t-shirt if the person uploads the design to Thingiverse!

http://blog.makerbot.com for more info!

Bre

MakerBot Industries
http://makerbot.com

Cathal Garvey

Mar 1, 2010, 4:32:53 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

My mouse is, it seems, dumb but nimble and seems to usually enter the trap I have, only to walk out again.

I have been using a balance-tripped, falling gate design, in which the mouse tips back the trap and lets a gate close with spurs beneath the body of the trap to

On Mar 1, 2010 8:35 PM, "Peter Davoust" <worl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'll think about it and give it a try. Does he usually walk into these traps, or is he(she) a smart little mouse?

-Peter

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MakerBot Operators"...

Cathal Garvey

Mar 1, 2010, 4:38:36 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

(oops)
...to hold it closed.

I think he's squeezing out between the sides of the gate when it closes imperfectly.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the ingenuity of the Thingiverse crew in this challenge.

I'm especially delighted to see Team Makerbot sweetening the deal with a Makerbot Teeshirt! They covered the base I forgot to stipulate, that it ought to be released under an open license. Thanks to the brilliant folks at the Botcave!

On Mar 1, 2010 9:32 PM, "Cathal Garvey" <cathal...@gmail.com> wrote:

My mouse is, it seems, dumb but nimble and seems to usually enter the trap I have, only to walk out again.

I have been using a balance-tripped, falling gate design, in which the mouse tips back the trap and lets a gate close with spurs beneath the body of the trap to

> > On Mar 1, 2010 8:35 PM, "Peter Davoust" <worl...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I'll think about it an...

Bo Lorentzen

Mar 1, 2010, 4:53:26 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Always thought uploading to thingieverse were a given condition.

Should we put a common name on the files?  "better mouse trap - and model name"

Sadly my childhood cat is out - never left a mouse.

But we had some long maybe 20 cm traps in plastic and wood with a metal gate in the end. The gate were closed and the mouse pushed it's way into the food opening the gate while passing it. I remember carrying the traps far from the farm in the snow to empty the live mice. One time we did shake 10 out if one trap. Mice don't seem to be rocket scientist, I'm guessing they figured there already were somebody in there so something good had to be in that box.

   Bo

Sent from my iPhone

Ed Estes

Mar 1, 2010, 4:59:10 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
So have you tried this classic trap? Someone just needs to create the files and upload them to Thingiverse!  :)

--Ed

Cathal Garvey

Mar 1, 2010, 5:33:52 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Good point re:following stuff on Thingiverse. Tag entries with "mousetrap" to make things easy!

If the lever-open trap you had works as a printable, I'd be delighted.

I assumed mice wouldn't know to push a closed door open without being shown, but I guess following your nose leads you to shove things a lot. :)

On Mar 1, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Cathal Garvey <cathal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (oops) > ...to hold it closed. > > I think he's squeezing out between the sides of the gate when i...

> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MakerBot Operators" gro...

Frozenlock

Mar 1, 2010, 7:11:51 PM3/1/10
to MakerBot Operators
It's a shame my Makerbot is broken, I would prefer to test a design
before posting it...
Anyway, here is my try for the challenge: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1920

Enjoy!

Peter Davoust

Mar 1, 2010, 9:42:03 PM3/1/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I uploaded my attempt. It might not work without some simple modification after printing, but I suspect it will work. I've printed about half of it, but my bot failed while building the bottom section (the PLA filament got stuck.) I'll try again some time this week and see if I can get it going. Like Frozenlock, I usually try to avoid posting things without printing them, but I figure I'd upload it for now as I might not get a chance to attempt the print again for a while.

Hope it works!

-Peter

Dave M.

Mar 2, 2010, 1:59:34 AM3/2/10
to MakerBot Operators
how the heck do we test our designs? haha

Cathal Garvey

Mar 2, 2010, 3:54:15 AM3/2/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
*Think* like the mouse, *be* the mouse!
Alternatively, leave one outside in the country or garden, and await your furry, diseased reward!

On 2 March 2010 06:59, Dave M. <mr....@gmail.com> wrote:
how the heck do we test our designs?  haha

--
letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 2, 2010, 5:31:22 AM3/2/10
to MakerBot Operators
Here's the start of my Mouse Motel:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

Go!

=ml=

On Mar 2, 12:54 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Think* like the mouse, *be* the mouse!
> Alternatively, leave one outside in the country or garden, and await your
> furry, diseased reward!

Cathal Garvey

Mar 2, 2010, 6:27:25 AM3/2/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Looks promising, and I love anything that recycles! When do we get to see files?

On Mar 2, 12:54 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote: > *Think* like the mouse, *be* th...

> On 2 March 2010 06:59, Dave M. <mr.m...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > how the heck do we test our design...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MakerBot Operators" g...

Cathal Garvey

Mar 2, 2010, 5:01:33 PM3/2/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Wow, so by +26hrs, I have five items immediately printable and testable, one presumed in the works from TeamTeam USA, and that's not including the two variations Makerblock posted on his submission.

My mouse surely doesn't stand a chance!
If any other entries are in-progress, please let me know and finish them as soon as possible. Otherwise, please don't submit any further entries, or I'll be bankrupt of plastic! ;)

I'll try to start printing these tomorrow if the RepRapSource plastic works, and they'll all have a fair shot at catching a mouse before I make a decision!

In case of a tie, first prize will be awarded based on a mix of factors including:
- Elegance or simplicity
- Economy of plastic
- Recycling of ubiquitous waste

Thanks to everyone who's submitted an entry, and I hope to have an answer (and one less household pest) soon!
Yours,
Cathal
--
letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal
twitter.com/labsfromfabs

Fido

Mar 2, 2010, 6:04:08 PM3/2/10
to MakerBot Operators
Dang.. not yet.. one entry still in the works...
should be posted in an hour..

Janne

On 3 maalis, 00:01, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, so by +26hrs, I have five items immediately printable and testable, one
> presumed in the works from TeamTeam USA, and that's not including the two
> variations Makerblock posted on his submission.
>
> My mouse surely doesn't stand a chance!
> If any other entries are in-progress, please let me know and finish them as
> soon as possible. Otherwise, please don't submit any further entries, or
> I'll be bankrupt of plastic! ;)
>
> I'll try to start printing these tomorrow if the RepRapSource plastic works,
> and they'll all have a fair shot at catching a mouse before I make a
> decision!
>
> In case of a tie, first prize will be awarded based on a mix of factors
> including:
> - Elegance or simplicity
> - Economy of plastic
> - Recycling of ubiquitous waste
>
> Thanks to everyone who's submitted an entry, and I hope to have an answer
> (and one less household pest) soon!
> Yours,
> Cathal
>

> On 2 March 2010 11:27, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Looks promising, and I love anything that recycles! When do we get to see
> > files?

Robert Hunt

Mar 2, 2010, 7:29:37 PM3/2/10
to MakerBot Operators
My parents have a problem with mice but it is actually caused by their
cats. The cats go out hunting and bring back live mice through the
catflap and then release them into the house. They have used one of
the balance-tripped traps that Cathal described that they place under
the fridge, the mice usually get trapped successfully. However the
cats come along and hear the mouse in the trap, 90% of the time the
trap ends up in pieces on the kitchen floor with no mouse in sight.
The cats manage to retrieve the trap from under the fridge and then
smack it about until the mouse gets free and lost under the fridge
again.

So it appears that cats are often the cause of the mice problem and
can also make it worse by setting trapped mice free (where one earth
does the advice about getting a cat to catch mice come from? It can't
be any further from reality, at least in my parents house). I'm not
sure if Cathal owns a cat but you could subject the successful traps
to a further test of being cat-proof once there is a mouse inside. I'm
sure this isn't a requirement for everyone but it adds an extra
challenge to the design.

Starno

Mar 2, 2010, 7:38:34 PM3/2/10
to MakerBot Operators
I'm working on a mousetrap approach that is along the lines of
MakerBlock's submission, and I'm trying to model it in OpenSCAD. No
need to wait up for this one though, as I'm sure you've already got
about a week straight of printing to do.

I'm really liking what OpenSCAD brings to the table in terms of share-
ability and easy tweaking, but its going to take some time for me to
wrap my head around the programming. Anyway, dont get flustered when
you see another mousetrap in the near future.

Nick

On Mar 2, 5:01 pm, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, so by +26hrs, I have five items immediately printable and testable, one
> presumed in the works from TeamTeam USA, and that's not including the two
> variations Makerblock posted on his submission.
>
> My mouse surely doesn't stand a chance!
> If any other entries are in-progress, please let me know and finish them as
> soon as possible. Otherwise, please don't submit any further entries, or
> I'll be bankrupt of plastic! ;)
>
> I'll try to start printing these tomorrow if the RepRapSource plastic works,
> and they'll all have a fair shot at catching a mouse before I make a
> decision!
>
> In case of a tie, first prize will be awarded based on a mix of factors
> including:
> - Elegance or simplicity
> - Economy of plastic
> - Recycling of ubiquitous waste
>
> Thanks to everyone who's submitted an entry, and I hope to have an answer
> (and one less household pest) soon!
> Yours,
> Cathal
>

> On 2 March 2010 11:27, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Looks promising, and I love anything that recycles! When do we get to see
> > files?

Bo Lorentzen

Mar 3, 2010, 12:05:50 AM3/3/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

Not sure about your parents cat, I lived on a farm in Denmark and can promise you the cats did not

1. bring live mice to the house.

2. "leave behind" any mice... they did exactly what some suggest cats do.

:-)

BrianBeebe

Mar 3, 2010, 7:02:07 AM3/3/10
to MakerBot Operators
I would bet if the cat food was cut back a bit the mice would
"disappear".

Cathal Garvey

Mar 3, 2010, 7:37:22 AM3/3/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
The sensibility of buying a cat solely to get rid of a mouse is dealt with here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNaXguD7tFM

He's funnier in his sketches (That Mitchell and Webb Look), but it readily summarises the frustration of a mouse-guest I think!

On 3 March 2010 12:02, BrianBeebe <bjbsq...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would bet if the cat food was cut back a bit the mice would
"disappear".

letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal
twitter.com/labsfromfabs

Cathal Garvey

Mar 3, 2010, 5:27:51 PM3/3/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting to print the traps in order of appearance on Thingiverse from oldest to newest. That means the first one to be printed is the "Better Mouse Trap" model by worldgnat. If I can get the ingredients to complete it, it'll be done by tonight and I can print the merry-go-round also.

Good luck to both!
--
letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal
twitter.com/labsfromfabs

Cathal Garvey

Mar 3, 2010, 6:38:11 PM3/3/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Scratch that. Due to a woefully slow skeinforge session and the an urgent need for my attentions elsewhere, printing has been delayed. Sorry everyone!

On Mar 3, 2010 10:27 PM, "Cathal Garvey" <cathal...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm starting to print the traps in order of appearance on Thingiverse from oldest to newest. That means the first one to be printed is the "Better Mouse Trap" model by worldgnat. If I can get the ingredients to complete it, it'll be done by tonight and I can print the merry-go-round also.

Good luck to both!

On 3 March 2010 12:37, Cathal Garvey <cathal...@gmail.com> wrote: > > The sensibility of buying...

Peter Davoust

Mar 3, 2010, 10:50:42 PM3/3/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, Frozenlock's Merry-go-Round mouse trap was first. Not that I mind getting the first shot at catching the mouse or anything ;).

-Peter

Cathal Garvey

Mar 4, 2010, 4:03:58 AM3/4/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

Oh! Was confused about that all right, as yours appears furthest back on Thingiverse but his has Bre's comment saying 'first'..

Not a biggie. I'm aiming to print both in one sitting anyway!

On Mar 4, 2010 3:51 AM, "Peter Davoust" <worl...@gmail.com> wrote:

To be fair, Frozenlock's Merry-go-Round mouse trap was first. Not that I mind getting the first shot at catching the mouse or anything ;).

-Peter

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 4, 2010, 6:06:18 AM3/4/10
to MakerBot Operators
I've uploaded the first STL file: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

Go!

=ml=

On Mar 2, 3:27 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks promising, and I love anything that recycles! When do we get to see
> files?

Cathal Garvey

Mar 4, 2010, 6:50:42 AM3/4/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Cool, looking good! I'll count you in so. That makes 8 designs to print and test, of wildly varying costs and complexities. This'll take a while, but I think it'll be entertaining!

On 4 March 2010 11:06, TeamTeamUSA <mile...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've uploaded the first STL file: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

Go!

=ml=

--
letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal
twitter.com/labsfromfabs

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 5, 2010, 5:24:21 AM3/5/10
to MakerBot Operators
Both files are up:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

I just realized I need a limiter on the lid so that it can't get stuck
in an open position. I'll add that tomorrow.

Go!

=ml=

On Mar 4, 3:50 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool, looking good! I'll count you in so. That makes 8 designs to print and
> test, of wildly varying costs and complexities. This'll take a while, but I
> think it'll be entertaining!

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 6, 2010, 6:28:15 AM3/6/10
to MakerBot Operators
I printed out the first part of Mouse Motel!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

It took 55 minutes and it's now 3:30 in the morning. Time for bed.

Go!

=ml=

On Mar 5, 2:24 am, TeamTeamUSA <miles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both files are up:
>
> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923
>
> I just realized I need a limiter on the lid so that it can't get stuck
> in an open position. I'll add that tomorrow.
>
> Go!
>
> =ml=
>
> On Mar 4, 3:50 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Cool, looking good! I'll count you in so. That makes 8 designs to print and
> > test, of wildly varying costs and complexities. This'll take a while, but I
> > think it'll be entertaining!

Cathal Garvey

Mar 8, 2010, 8:51:52 AM3/8/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
@TeamTeamUSA: Awesome, I love test prints! I also love parameterisation and OpenSCAD. Kudos!

@FrozenLock: I had to resize the files for the merry-go-round trap to make it printable on my build area, reduce print time and cost and reduce SF/RepG computation time. At 70% original size, it should still be more than big enough to catch a mouse and costs less than half the plastic, seemingly. Hope you don't mind!

All: I'm just after sorting out a RepG issue that's confounded two attempted print sessions already, so looks like I'll be able to get it going on third try this week. Seeing as I'm going to Newcastle this Friday for the Maker Faire, I mightn't be able to get everything printed/tested by then. Please bear with me, sorry it's taking so long. Netbooks suck for print-prepping.

Also FYI, by the law of random it seems that my original mouse has gone AWOL, so I'll be testing mousetraps outside in the abundantly rodent-populated countryside, in a field near our house. If the traps are gonna work at all, they'll work there! Sorry for the inconvenience, if I could control the comings-and-goings of the original mouse I wouldn't have needed a trap. :)

letters.cunningprojects.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal
twitter.com/labsfromfabs

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 12, 2010, 12:00:05 PM3/12/10
to MakerBot Operators
I've added more pix and files to MouseMotel:

On Mar 8, 5:51 am, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @TeamTeamUSA: Awesome, I love test prints! I also love parameterisation and
> OpenSCAD. Kudos!
>
> @FrozenLock: I had to resize the files for the merry-go-round trap to make
> it printable on my build area, reduce print time and cost and reduce SF/RepG
> computation time. At 70% original size, it should still be more than big
> enough to catch a mouse and costs less than half the plastic, seemingly.
> Hope you don't mind!
>
> All: I'm just after sorting out a RepG issue that's confounded two attempted
> print sessions already, so looks like I'll be able to get it going on third
> try this week. Seeing as I'm going to Newcastle this Friday for the Maker
> Faire, I mightn't be able to get everything printed/tested by then. Please
> bear with me, sorry it's taking so long. Netbooks suck for print-prepping.
>
> Also FYI, by the law of random it seems that my original mouse has gone
> AWOL, so I'll be testing mousetraps outside in the abundantly
> rodent-populated countryside, in a field near our house. If the traps are
> gonna work at all, they'll work there! Sorry for the inconvenience, if I
> could control the comings-and-goings of the original mouse I wouldn't have
> needed a trap. :)
>

> > makerbot+u...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Frozenlock

Mar 12, 2010, 2:46:25 PM3/12/10
to MakerBot Operators
I don't mind at all!

It's far form a "finished" product, as explained in the comments,
there's many way in which it could be improved.

Shame that you need to go after the mouses now...
Enjoy the hunt!

Bo Lorentzen

Mar 12, 2010, 3:05:41 PM3/12/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Seems to me that a lot of mice might be leaving their homes at the moment,  any mouse should get the hint with such a massive effort to capture them, after all they are facing 10 completely new trap designs, what kind of mouse would take its chances in such a world.?

TeamTeamUSA

Mar 20, 2010, 5:41:34 AM3/20/10
to MakerBot Operators
I've added on-location and assembly pix, and completed the build
instructions. It now uses threaded feedstock instead of M3 bolts FTW!
Instructions here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1923

Go!

=ml=

Cathal Garvey

Mar 20, 2010, 8:40:35 AM3/20/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

I seriously need a working bot right now. Curse you RepRapSource!

On Mar 12, 1:05 pm, Bo Lorentzen <boph...@gmail.com> wrote: > Seems to me that a lot of mice might b...