[MakerBot] Is this a Skeinforge, ReplicatorG, firmware or calibration problem?

MakerBlock

Dec 29, 2009, 3:01:31 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators
Hi all,

I'm running Win XP, RepG 0010, the latest Skeinforge, and latest
firmware. I'm trying to build a mini-mug with very mixed success.

The raft goes down reasonably well, the first few layers look good,
but then every few layers are jogged over about 2-3mm or so towards
the -Y direction. Here's a picture of two failed prints:
http://makerblock.com/2009/12/test-prints-3-and-4/

Thanks,

MakerBlock

MakerBlock

Dec 29, 2009, 3:46:14 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators
After doing some searching I found this post which suggests I may have
an XY carriage problem - probably in the Y axis. Basically something
is preventing it from returning the entire distance back to the far +Y
position. In doing so it offsets every few layers.
I'm kinda glad this may be a hardware problem.
MakerBlock

ErisianFront

Dec 29, 2009, 8:54:28 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators
Hi.
This happened to me in big way once after I wound the stepper motor
current down too low while trying to reduce travel noise.
Cheers.

Dave M.

Dec 29, 2009, 9:17:37 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators
Agreed, it does look like the motor doesn't have enough torque to
complete its move... one of many reasons why I dislike steppers
without encoders. I think that if you gradually increase the current
limit, that will resolve your problem!

Rick Pollack

Dec 29, 2009, 9:38:20 AM12/29/09
to make...@googlegroups.com
You may also want to check the alignment of your Y axis rods - make sure it is not pinching. Also, make sure the pulley is not slipping.

MakerBlock

Dec 29, 2009, 10:27:38 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators
Awesome! Thanks guys!
I have noticed that the Y axis motor is much quieter than the
others.
Um, how do I increase the current limit?
Thanks,
MakerBlock

On Dec 29, 6:38 am, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> You may also want to check the alignment of your Y axis rods - make sure it
> is not pinching. Also, make sure the pulley is not slipping.
>

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Dave M. <mr.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed, it does look like the motor doesn't have enough torque to
> > complete its move... one of many reasons why I dislike steppers
> > without encoders.  I think that if you gradually increase the current
> > limit, that will resolve your problem!
>
> > On Dec 29, 5:54 am, ErisianFront <erisianfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > This happened to me in big way once after I wound the stepper motor
> > > current down too low while trying to reduce travel noise.
> > > Cheers.
>
> > --

> > makerbot+u...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Rick Pollack

Dec 29, 2009, 10:29:22 AM12/29/09
to make...@googlegroups.com
the potentiometer on the Y stepper board - turn it clockwise...

MakerBlock

Dec 29, 2009, 10:38:31 AM12/29/09
to MakerBot Operators

MakerBlock

Dec 31, 2009, 4:08:43 PM12/31/09
to MakerBot Operators
Hello again,
I've tried:
Increasing the current limit
Checking the alignment of the Y axis rods
Checking the pulley to make sure its not slipping
Adding a little extra oil to the Y axis rods to make sure the slides
aren't catching
However, my prints are still getting fouled up. My Plastruder will
lay down a raft, print a few layers (about 1-2mm worth), jog to the -Y
too much, print a few more layers and continue until it runs off the
platform.
Does anyone have any additional suggestions?
Thanks!
MakerBlock

Rick Pollack

Dec 31, 2009, 4:14:49 PM12/31/09
to make...@googlegroups.com
When you slide the carriage up and down the Y platform does it move very smoothly and easily? What about the belt tension - how is that set? Does the printed pulley turn smoothly?

Otherwise, it is a bit of a hassle but you could try swapping the X & Y steppers - see if there could be a stepper issue.

MakerBlock

Dec 31, 2009, 4:29:04 PM12/31/09
to MakerBot Operators
Hi Rick,
The Y axis movement is certainly stiffer than the X axis - but I
wasn't sure whether this was enough to affect its printing.
I'll pull it out, give it a once over, and try again.
The tension belt is pretty taut. Try loosening it?
Thanks!
MakerBlock

> > makerbot+u...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Rick Pollack

Dec 31, 2009, 4:30:07 PM12/31/09
to make...@googlegroups.com
Try some looser settings for the belt...it can be too tight.