Printing In Color

Bot#1559

Jul 21, 2010, 10:00:56 PM7/21/10
to MakerBot Operators
It was suggested that I create a new wiki entry for the purpose of
creating a bot that can print in different colors. (thanks
TeamTeamUSA). So here it is:

http://wiki.makerbot.com/printing-in-color

I threw it together last night, and the content is sparse. However, I
do explain some (hopefully) understandable starting points in the
areas of mechanics, software and electronics. I did not create this
page to just sit back and watch other people make it happen for me. I
will do what I can to participate and hopefully this page will grow
over time.

I also started this page because just like printers and TVs all
started out as monochrome, they eventually evolved into colorful
machines. 3D printers will be no different, and this is the starting
point.

Jerry Isdale

Jul 22, 2010, 12:21:40 AM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
Couple comments...

The wiki page mentions two HW tech for printing in Multiple colors
1) two or more motors & feed mechanisms feeding into one heated
barrel.
2) using an ink jet to color the plastic somewhere in the feed
mechanism

Both of these imply a single heated barrel and nozzle. The system
will have to calculate the proper amount of color to feed at the right
time, ahead of when the actual color printing will occur. (printing in
color 1 but feeding color 2 to get it to nozzle at the right time) It
will probably also have to account for some mixing of colors in
chamber - requiring some off-object noodling to clear the previous and
mixed colors. A nice multi-color object will probably not be
restricted to single color per layer, so there will be chamber
clearing each layer. I have heard (from Miles, aka TeamTeamUSA i
think), that sometimes a bit of color can get lodged in the barrel and
come out several minutes later. That does not bode well for chamber
clearing.

An alternative is to have multiple heaters and feeds. The nozzles
would need to be fairly close, and offsets inserted into control code
to account for differences in location.

jstnfirst

Jul 22, 2010, 12:51:25 AM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
Back in 2005 or so Parallax released an ink jet development kit, for
100 bucks you could control a 96dpi print head, it was normally used
to mark packages on assembly lines and such, and was avaliable in red,
blue, and black. Unfortunally the kit is no longer sold, but all the
documentation is still up!!!

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/robo/InkjetKitDocs-v1.0.pdf

You can find it at that link, the print cartridge looks to be ~$15.
If we don't color the filament itself, how about using it to just
color the outside as the object is printed?

MakerBot Space2

Jul 22, 2010, 3:08:35 AM7/22/10
to MakerBot Operators
My 4cents - I posted way back about the inkjet in this thread for
color in the current system. I have had colors come out of "back
outs" from my extruder after hours of operation where it didn't push
through. My thought in the short term is indexing. Starting with an
index point for all prints. So you could effectively layer colors by
staring at an index point. you would switch out color and move to the
index point then start the next color of your build. I look orwrd to
a way to mix color in the system as this is more fluid in the printing
process.

Thanks

Brandon

Jerry Isdale

Jul 23, 2010, 10:46:23 AM7/23/10
to MakerBot Operators
FYI - The RapMan folks just announced a two headed extruder for their
printer ...

http://www.prlog.org/10794614-3d-printer-grows-second-head.html