starting raftless prints

John

Nov 14, 2010, 5:02:52 AM11/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
Hi everyone,
I was reading nopheads latest post http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com,
and I keep noticing that single line width of print around his
objects. Does anyone know how to configure this in skeinforge? I find
that my raftless prints start out with 5 frantic seconds of juggling
the print height to exactly where I want it and occasional waits for
the first bit of plastic to come through. This little loop around
seems to be a great way to handle that.
Cheers,
John G.

JohnA.

Nov 14, 2010, 10:10:18 AM11/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
Nophead doesn't use skeinforge, so it's not a default option. I'm
sure you could write it into the gcode if you were determined.

In certain versions of Skeinforge you can use the 'raftless' plugin to
do a lead-in line, like 20mm in each direction before it starts really
printing.

JohnA.

On Nov 14, 5:02 am, John <gratton.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I was reading nopheads latest posthttp://hydraraptor.blogspot.com,

Will Brown

Nov 14, 2010, 10:41:17 AM11/14/10
to make...@googlegroups.com

You can also modify your start.txt file to start in a corner and turn on the extruder before going to the origin and starting the print. the only downside is that you end up with a line going through your finished model that isn't parallel to the fill lines.

whb

Written on a phone. Please excuse typing errors.

Rob Giseburt

Nov 14, 2010, 4:04:23 PM11/14/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Read that last post guys!

"
I made this using the support material option of Skienforge for the first time. To use it I have to enable the raft module but then disable the raft by setting the base layers and interface layers to zero. Without the cross hatch option the support material is easier to remove, but it tends to come away from the bed. For raft-less support the first layer of the support could do with being solid.
"

So, with raft on and base/interface layers set to zero might give that outline... Or, maybe the support structures being turned on? I'd have to experiment.

  -Rob

ddurant

Nov 14, 2010, 4:14:41 PM11/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
> So, with raft on and base/interface layers set to zero might give that
> outline... Or, maybe the support structures being turned on? I'd have to
> experiment.

Neither of those should cause that line to be created - I've never
seen that line before anyway. From the picture, it looks like it
surrounds the object outline so it's probably not coming from
start.txt.

Maybe nophead is listening and will tell us where the line comes
from..

On Nov 14, 4:04 pm, Rob Giseburt <giseb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Read that last post guys!
>
> "
> I made this using the support material option of Skienforge for the first
> time. To use it I have to enable the raft module but then disable the raft
> by setting the base layers and interface layers to zero. Without the cross
> hatch option the support material is easier to remove, but it tends to come
> away from the bed. For raft-less support the first layer of the support
> could do with being solid.
> "
>
> So, with raft on and base/interface layers set to zero might give that
> outline... Or, maybe the support structures being turned on? I'd have to
> experiment.
>
>   -Rob
>
> On Nov 14, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Will Brown <will.h.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can also modify your start.txt file to start in a corner and turn on the
> extruder before going to the origin and starting the print. the only
> downside is that you end up with a line going through your finished model
> that isn't parallel to the fill lines.
>
> whb
>
> Written on a phone. Please excuse typing errors.
> On Nov 14, 2010 10:10 AM, "JohnA." <john.abe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Nophead doesn't use skeinforge, so it's not a default option. I'm
> > sure you could write it into the gcode if you were determined.
>
> > In certain versions of Skeinforge you can use the 'raftless' plugin to
> > do a lead-in line, like 20mm in each direction before it starts really
> > printing.
>
> > JohnA.
>
> > On Nov 14, 5:02 am, John <gratton.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >> I was reading nopheads latest posthttp://hydraraptor.blogspot.com,
> >> and I keep noticing that single line width of print around his
> >> objects. Does anyone know how to configure this in skeinforge? I find
> >> that my raftless prints start out with 5 frantic seconds of juggling
> >> the print height to exactly where I want it and occasional waits for
> >> the first bit of plastic to come through. This little loop around
> >> seems to be a great way to handle that.
> >> Cheers,
> >> John G.
>
> > --
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/makerbot?hl=en.

John

Nov 14, 2010, 5:48:10 PM11/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
It seems to vary its size depending on the print, so I dont think its
part of the start.txt. If you look on some of the older photos, you
can see that its a box a few mm beyond the edge of the peice printed.
Even on prints with multiple items. I suppose you could do a loop
around the outer edge of the build plaftorm to get a similar effect,
but noware near as cool.
Cheers,
John G.
> > makerbot+u...@googlegroups.com<makerbot%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c­om>
> > .> For more options, visit this group at
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/makerbot?hl=en.

John

Nov 14, 2010, 6:43:22 PM11/14/10
to MakerBot Operators
From Nophead:
(start)
Since my machine is driven from Python script, I simply write a few
lines of code to add a square to the bottom layer which is slightly
bigger than the bounding square.
(end)

looks like it might be time to start learing python then. :)

Ed Blake

Nov 14, 2010, 7:42:54 PM11/14/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Damn, you beat me, and found a more relevant quote.

I just spent >30min. searching, and eventually stepping through every post, on Nophead's blog. All I got was this quote:
"""Hi Dave,
I start with G-code from either Enrique's Python code or the RepRap host but I don't use that to control the machine. I just extract the tool paths.

I use Python scripts to control the machine using UDP packets over Ethernet. I don't send G-code directly to my controller because interpreting it and converting the units, which are in floating point, is better done on a PC. My firmware only has to handle the Bresenham algorithm, which only uses add and subtract.

To do what you want to do with an existing CNC machine you should take a look at what Brendan Erwin is doing in this thread: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,12143,page=3

He is using EMC2 to read the gcode and control his CNC machine. The extruder commands use machine specific codes, M101, etc. I think he has set up EMC2 to understand these and redirect them to something that can drive the extruder.
"""

Which I already knew, and this is the first post where the raft outline is obvious:
http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-years-resolution.html

Anyway, It shouldn't be too hard to hack the raft/raftless module to add a rectangle at AABB!

I'm working on my own slicing solution in Blender (until convinced I can't hack it myself), so I'll leave the skeinforge implementation to someone else!