Cupcake upgrade installed: extruder MK5 and HBP

Gianni Ceccarelli

Sep 26, 2010, 3:25:12 PM9/26/10
to MakerBot Operators
Yes, I'm late to the party :)

I received the MK5, HBP and relay board last Tuesday, built them
yesterday, and installed them today.

Some impressions:

- the MK5 is *much* easier to build than the MK3 was
- you have to screw the plunger in quite tightly, otherwise the
filament will slip
- ReplicatorG 19 "just works" (including updating the firmware, 2.4 on
the extruder and 2.2 on the motherboard)
- it's relatively easy to lay out all the electronics on the side of
the cupcake (
http://picasaweb.google.com/dakkar.ask/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJvf5r6u-6f1bA#5521303524402644642
)
- a raft is still a very good idea

I'm now printing http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4110 for a sort of
"stress test", and the machine is running without a hitch. Via the USB
connection, even.

Thanks, MBI, for the great upgrades!

--
Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

Ruling the country is like cooking a small fish.
Approach the universe with Tao,
And evil is not powerful,
But its power will not be used to harm others.
Not only will it do no harm to others,
But the sage himself will also be protected.
They do not hurt each other,
And the Virtue in each one refreshes both.

signature.asc

Achilles Boiser

Sep 26, 2010, 3:56:33 PM9/26/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
That screw plunger and the feel you get from it is very revealing.  The MK3 never gave you that feedback.  The idler wheel would move whether it was tight or loose.

Gianni Ceccarelli

Sep 26, 2010, 5:04:29 PM9/26/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-09-26 Gianni Ceccarelli <dak...@thenautilus.net> wrote:
> - ReplicatorG 19 "just works" (including updating the firmware, 2.4 on
> the extruder and 2.2 on the motherboard)

I just remembered that this is not perfectly true: I had to copy the
PID settings for the extruder from the wiki
http://wiki.makerbot.com/tips-and-tricks#toc7 (the two sets end up
being more-or-less equivalent)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dakkar.ask/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCJvf5r6u-6f1bA#5521330418907112866

it worked!

--
Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574
6FE2 40EA 9883 7519 3F88
key id = 0x75193F88

Your supervisor is thinking about you.

signature.asc

Luis E. Rodriguez

Sep 27, 2010, 9:46:52 AM9/27/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
i was able to use the recommended PID settings that popup when you do the firmware upgrade. I wish I had switched to a drop-in paxtruder a long time ago!

Luis E. Rodriguez
v2.4_MK5_Relays.png