Can't install Firmware Mac

coolpoolteacher

Nov 11, 2011, 8:23:28 PM11/11/11
to MakerBot Operators
I'm so clase to getting my first TOM up and running!

Here's my setup today:

1. Rep G 27, MK7
2. MacBook Pro 10.6.8
3. Installed Driver for USB FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg (10.4, .
5, .6)
4. Connected USB to the motherboard 2.5 directly. Power is on.
5. Open Rep G
6. Select tty/USB
7. Selected Makerbot Motherboard Gen 4 with MEga 2560
8. Select v 3.0
9. Try to update extruder controller this way as well. no luck.

I've tried for over an hour to get the timing right with the reset
button to no avail.

Failure after failure.

Ideas?

Greg Thorstad

Nov 11, 2011, 9:00:42 PM11/11/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you connect to the machine can you control the steppers and/or read
temperatures from the control panel?

A couple of things you might try just to get the uploads done.

Try the upload using ReplicatorG 26
Try from a different computer- Maybe windows or linux -

Greg Thorstad B. Comm
Thor3D/ Canadian Makerbot Distributor

coolpoolteacher

Nov 11, 2011, 9:13:23 PM11/11/11
to MakerBot Operators
Thx. I will try 26. We are an all Mac school and I'm a mac only use at
home too:) I didn't know there was a Canadian Makerbot distributor.
Could have saved me some duty and shipping!!!

coolpoolteacher

Nov 11, 2011, 9:14:39 PM11/11/11
to MakerBot Operators
I haven't tried to connect to the machine for stepper controls or temp
readouts yet.

Rob Giseburt

Nov 11, 2011, 9:22:41 PM11/11/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure you're using a Mega 2560, instead of the older Mega (no numbers)?

-Rob

Greg Thorstad

Nov 11, 2011, 9:38:06 PM11/11/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
You may want to try to connect to prove that you do have a valid USB
Connection. The communication/control should work fine without the update
but printing with the MK7 does require the uploads.

If 26 does not work, I would try to find a non Mac computer to try. I am no
Mac expert at all but have heard there are some issues but I dont remember
what OS version it was with.

coolpoolteacher

Nov 11, 2011, 9:45:03 PM11/11/11
to MakerBot Operators
I will double check. The kit is only 4 weeks old.

On Nov 11, 7:22 pm, Rob Giseburt <giseb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure you're using a Mega 2560, instead of the older Mega (no numbers)?
>
>   -Rob

Jetty

Nov 11, 2011, 10:30:32 PM11/11/11
to MakerBot Operators
>Thx. I will try 26. We are an all Mac school and I'm a mac only use at
>home too:) I didn't know there was a Canadian Makerbot distributor.
>Could have saved me some duty and shipping!!!

I've just become a first time customer of Greg's and have placed 2
orders with him. He provides extremely good service. Ordered a
Makerbot and supplies after shipping deadline on Friday, received on
Tuesday (shipping was a very good price) and also ordered some extra
plastic the other day and received it the next day. Additionally he
provided wonderful support with the few issues I had. Factor in that
it's a better deal and faster than getting it shipped internationally
and it's a no brainer.

Regarding the mac, here's how I did it. Didn't install the FTDI USB
drivers (they're not needed is my understanding as there's no FTDI
boards involved, they are regular USB connectors.

I'm using Lion and the newly released ReplicatorG 0027.

All firmware installs I did from Replicator G itself and installed
"Unsupported Beta" (you'll need to do that if you're using the MK7).

Regarding the "Reset" button, that's only needed when updating the
motherboard. (Extruder doesn't need it). The reason it's needed is
because the "Reset" trace has been cut on the board. How I got it to
work was to not hit the buttons at the same time. Click the "Update'
button first then immediately press the "Reset" button afterwards.
Time between click and press I'd estimate as about 0.25 seconds. Then
wait, the update takes about 1-2 mins and it will say update complete.

Make sure power is off to your TOM when doing the motherboard firmware
update. If your extruder controller is installed, then update via
the extruder USB and make sure TOM power is ON (or it won't work),
I've routed an extra USB cable out from the Extruder Controller so I
can update without opening the electronics. Otherwise you can have
TOM power off if you make sure "Everything" is disconnected from the
controller.

If it's still not working, try a different USB cable, it maybe faulty.

Ultimately if that doesn't work,there's not too much to go wrong, it's
likely software if it's not the cable. It's unlikely you've got 2 bad
boards.

Start off updating the Extruder Controller, there's no timing
involved.

I'm pretty new to TOM, but have a lot of experience with Arduinos and
Mac Software / Development. If the above suggestions don't solve your
issue, use "Reply To Author", send me your phone number and I'll call
you and we'll see if we can figure this out. You have to get this
thing running, cos they're really cool :-)

Bryan Duxbury

Nov 12, 2011, 2:03:04 AM11/12/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I seem to remember having a weird issue with this when I was setting up, too, and I think I tracked it down to mis-installing ReplicatorG. Your instinct as a Mac user is to drag it into Applications, but I think it needs the other stuff that come with it in the archive, and if you run from Applications, it can't find it. So I just extracted the whole archive and run it from there.

Worth a shot, anyways.

Matt Smollinger

Nov 12, 2011, 10:13:59 AM11/12/11
to MakerBot Operators
+1 to Bryan's response. You need the entire contents of the DMG that
RepG comes with. Usually I copy that into a folder I name like
"repg0027" or something like that in Applications so I can keep older
versions handy incase something is borked in the new version that I
need.

The Mega line of Arduinos do not require the FTDI drivers. Those are
for Gen3 setups (i.e. Cupcakes).

--Matt--

On Nov 12, 2:03 am, Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> wrote:
> I seem to remember having a weird issue with this when I was setting up,
> too, and I think I tracked it down to mis-installing ReplicatorG. Your
> instinct as a Mac user is to drag it into Applications, but I think it
> needs the other stuff that come with it in the archive, and if you run from
> Applications, it can't find it. So I just extracted the whole archive and
> run it from there.
>
> Worth a shot, anyways.
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM, coolpoolteacher

Emery Roth III

Nov 12, 2011, 5:06:04 PM11/12/11
to make...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 12, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Matt Smollinger wrote:

> The Mega line of Arduinos do not require the FTDI drivers.

To clarify, an Arduino Mega 1280 DOES require drivers, the newer Mega 2560 does not.

--ER3