Stepstruder mk6 with gen 3

Jonathan

Jun 5, 2011, 9:40:04 PM6/5/11
to MakerBot Operators
I've followed the instructions on the wiki and can't get my stepper to
turn. I'm using the precompiled firmware (v2.6 for stepper extruder
with relays) from ReplicatorG 25. Can someone confirm that the
firmware actually works? I think I've exhausted everything else.

Just an aside ReplicatorG reports "Extruder controller firmware v2.5
(ruder )" Didn't have time yet to poke around in the firmware source
but I'm thinking that version number is really 2.6 it just didn't get
updated.

The Ruttmeister

Jun 6, 2011, 12:03:55 AM6/6/11
to MakerBot Operators
It works, I'm running a stepper drive with the non-relay version of
the firmware.

Check all your connections are correct first. There are 2 different
sets of instruction in the MBI wiki, make sure you have looked at both
(for some reason someone re-wrote the instructions when the Mk6 came
out... but didn't replace the originals).

One fun bug is that SF35 only includes the correct G codes for
steppers is you turn reversal on.

Bill Culverhouse

Jun 6, 2011, 12:23:42 AM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
A listed bug is that repG25 doesn't work on (some?) Gen3 boards.
I've not tried it on my setup. 24 works with gen3.

-b

The Ruttmeister

Jun 6, 2011, 2:16:30 AM6/6/11
to MakerBot Operators
Actually I was one of the people reporting that bug. Completely
forgot, but it seems RepG25 doesnt send rpm commands to Gen3 (more or
less) so you cant do test extrusions. Prints just fine though.
Yeah, 24 works just fine and isnt missing much (just print-o-matic
really).

Whosawhatsis

Jun 6, 2011, 6:38:25 AM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
You did change driver settings in RepG, didn't you? There should ba an
RPM setting in the control panel, though it is broken in RepG 25.

Jonathan

Jun 6, 2011, 6:44:46 AM6/6/11
to MakerBot Operators
Thanks for the help everyone. Switching to v24 did the trick.

Bill Culverhouse

Jun 6, 2011, 9:04:27 AM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Weird bug. But as long as the gcode is correct it works? Alright.
I've wanted to mess around with 25, I'll give it a go. Not being
able to jog the extruder will annoy me some, but I'd still like
to play with the built in stepper extruder setting thingy.

-b

Matt Mets

Jun 6, 2011, 10:35:50 AM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
The Ruttmeister is the person who brought this to our attention. I'm
actually looking for someone with this hardware to test a fix; anyone
interested?

Cheers,
Matt

Whosawhatsis

Jun 6, 2011, 12:12:06 PM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you've got a Mac build, I can test it.

The Ruttmeister

Jun 6, 2011, 1:47:04 PM6/6/11
to MakerBot Operators
I'm about...

Win7x64 is my poison of choice.

will try and be on gtalk all day!

Matt Mets

Jun 6, 2011, 4:41:57 PM6/6/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I think I've got a fix for the issue. What happened is that
ReplicatorG was asking the extruder controller firmware for it's RPM
setting, but unfortunately the firmware didn't support the command, so
the RPM value kept getting reset to 0. This is actually the same
reason why the PWM value for DC extruders always reverts to 0 when
opening the control panel. I patched Koen Kooi's stepper extruder
firmware to support this command. To try it, set your firmware update
URL (in repicatorg preferences window) to:
http://firmware.makerbot.com/beta/firmware.xml

Then flash your extruder with one of the "v2.61 for stepper extruders"
firmware versions.

Let me know which one you tried and if it works.

Cheers,
Matt

Jonathan

Jun 6, 2011, 5:10:12 PM6/6/11
to MakerBot Operators
Using Windows 7 x64 and RepG v 25 "v2.61 for stepper extruder with
relays" firmware worked.
Thanks for the quick fix!

Matt Mets

Jun 7, 2011, 11:51:34 AM6/7/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks Jonathan!

Koen pointed out that we should be using the master branch, so I've
updated the firmware version on the beta site to 2.81. If anyone else
has time to try it and verify that it still functions, that would be
awesome. If it looks good, I'll move it over to the normal firmware
site.

Jonathan

Jun 7, 2011, 5:06:20 PM6/7/11
to MakerBot Operators
I'll test it out as soon as I can get RepG to open...
Not sure why it is suddenly not loading. Random Java update maybe?

Matt Mets

Jun 7, 2011, 5:32:55 PM6/7/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you're using WIndows, try this version:
http://replicatorg.googlecode.com/files/replicatorg-0025-windows-java.zip

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Jonathan <jonath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll test it out as soon as I can get RepG to open...
> Not sure why it is suddenly not loading. Random Java update maybe?

Jonathan

Jun 7, 2011, 6:12:41 PM6/7/11
to MakerBot Operators
That version of RepG fixed my java issues and "v2.81 for stepper
extruders" worked fine.
Now I did notice a high pitched squeal when I stopped the stepper,
after starting and stopping a few times I couldn't replicate it
though. It may have just cut out between steps and had a shudder?
Really good work otherwise.

The Ruttmeister

Jun 7, 2011, 7:29:23 PM6/7/11
to MakerBot Operators
Its the stepper acting as a spring, its bouncing between either 'side'
of the 'step'. If it happens regularly just touching the current
either way normally clears it.

Brian Stott

Jun 7, 2011, 10:23:10 PM6/7/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Touching the current? Does that mean jogging the axis?

Aaron Double

Jun 7, 2011, 10:25:24 PM6/7/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
I would think he means either turning the pot up or down.

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2011/06/03/new-stepper-driver-reference-voltages-yay/

Aaron Double

lasda

Jun 8, 2011, 9:00:21 AM6/8/11
to MakerBot Operators
I have a Cupcake with MK6 installed with Gen3 hardware and just
uploaded the 2.81 firmware to my extruder controller board. I did a
test extrusion and found it to be REALLY slow. I ran an extrusion at
RPM of 10 and it took 23 seconds to make one revolution! My
machines.xml file says 1600 steps, but I don't think that means
anything.

Before this, RPM of 1 got about 2 RPM. I was running 2.5 [ruder]
firmware.

Comments?

The Ruttmeister

Jun 8, 2011, 12:30:08 PM6/8/11
to MakerBot Operators
Just try changing your motor_steps to something lower..

I know the 2.5 firmware doesn't take any notice of that value, but
2.81 might (I can't test it myself, anyone in the bay area got an ISP
they can lend me?! I need to stick a bootloader on my EC!)

The Ruttmeister

Jun 8, 2011, 12:32:52 PM6/8/11
to MakerBot Operators
I do indeed.
Its that or install a switch between the enable and ground pins so you
can turn off the stepper.
(or design a shield for the sanguino that allows you to drive 4
steppers, by using a common enable pin and no endstops... maybe :P)
Sorry, brain leaking again.

On Jun 7, 7:25 pm, Aaron Double <aad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think he means either turning the pot up or down.
>
> http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2011/06/03/new-stepper-driver-reference-...
>
> Aaron Double
>
> On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:23 PM, Brian Stott wrote:
>

> > Touching the current?  Does that mean jogging the axis?

Matt Mets

Jun 8, 2011, 12:39:05 PM6/8/11
to make...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, it doesn't yet :-(. My guess is that revar's build
hard-coded the conversion rate to something closer to what your setup
requires. The options are:
- recompile the current firmware using a different value
- add support for the steps-to-mm value to be sent to the extruder
(add support for it in the firmware, and a hook in repg to actually
send it to the extruder
- scale the values in your gcode so that they come out correctly.

The Ruttmeister

Jun 8, 2011, 12:41:47 PM6/8/11
to MakerBot Operators

On Jun 8, 9:39 am, Matt Mets <matt.m...@makerbot.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, it doesn't yet :-(. My guess is that revar's build
> hard-coded the conversion rate to something closer to what your setup
> requires. The options are:
> - recompile the current firmware using a different value
> - add support for the steps-to-mm value to be sent to the extruder
> (add support for it in the firmware, and a hook in repg to actually
> send it to the extruder

Is that all?

Awe shucks, I'll have it done by lunchtime!

/joke.

:P