Density of Makerbot's ABS

Michael Curry

Jan 16, 2010, 2:21:40 PM1/16/10
to MakerBot Operators
Does anyone know the Density of the 3mm ABS from Makerbot?

I am printing a project for someone and need to know the weight per
cubic centimeter so I can convert the Skinforge ’Volume Extruded’
number to a material price per object.

Alternately I could weigh each object, but I don't have a scale
capable of doing it.

Rick Pollack

Jan 16, 2010, 2:35:21 PM1/16/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if this will help but you can find the ABS MSDS in svn.makerbot.com/assets/datasheets

Michael Curry

Jan 16, 2010, 2:59:56 PM1/16/10
to make...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't find any density data on the Material Safety Data Sheet.

I did find a density on the RepRap Forums of 0.0376 lb/in³, but the poster didn't list their source.

By my math that works out to .0367oz/cc.  At $10 a pound from Makerbot the material cost per printed cc is 3.67 cents.  This doesn't take into account the price of the machine, or the value of my blood sweat and tears.

Altogether this means there is a guy out there who owes me 54 cents...

-Michael

MakerBlock

Jan 16, 2010, 3:46:02 PM1/16/10
to MakerBot Operators
Hmmm... How much would you charge for a pint of tears?

TeamTeamUSA

Jan 16, 2010, 4:40:04 PM1/16/10
to MakerBot Operators

Geert Bosch

Jan 19, 2010, 4:06:34 PM1/19/10
to MakerBot Operators
Here is one datapoint: I just printed a toy rocket (designed by my 7
year old son) of which Skeinforge said it would take 17cc of material.
The final rocket (including raft) was 21.5g, so the would result in a
density between 1.2 and 1.2 grams/cc. While this is more than expected
given a typical ABS density of around 1.05 g/cc, there are many
variables: the extruder might extrude more material than I have told
Skeinforge, or it may not be accurate when stopping/reversing etc. It
certainly seems my extruder keeps slowly leaking molten ABS while the
motor is stopped. Skeinforges calculations also might be a bit off:
results are given in whole cc's and that might be indicative of actual
confidence in the computed results.

For determining costs, raw material prices are going to be just a
small part anyway. Given that 5 lbs (2268 g) of ABS is about $70
including US shipping from Makerbot, that works out to about $0.03/g.
So the rocket cost 66 cents in ABS. The total printing time was 1 hour
and 20 minutes, and electricity for the CupCake and computer might
have been about 0.15 kWh, or $0.03 or so (at $0.20/kWh). However, my
NYC apartment cost about $3/hr in rent (on 24 hr basis) and my time is
many times that. So, as indicated about, ABS material cost can never
be a big part in production costs.

-Geert