Peregrine [etc] at Wells Harbor

Paul Wells

Nov 23, 2012, 3:32:05 PM11/23/12
to Maine birds
This morning Sally and I did a bit of birding at Wells Harbor. Birds in the water were not abundant, but there was a reasonably decent mix: a couple of Common Loons, one Red-throated Loon, a Horned Grebe, some Common Eiders, a few Buffleheads. Plus three seals. A small flock of Horned Larks In the parking lot by the gazebo in the nearby park was a nice treat.

The real bonus, though, was getting a great, unobstructed, fairly close [~75 yards] walk-away look at a gorgeous Peregrine Falcon, perched in a tree across Harbor Road from the entrance to the park. We watched him for a good 10 minutes or more, and he was still maintaining his vigilant perch when we drove away.

Paul Wells
Paul F. Wells
West Kennebunk, ME
USA

"I'm doing what I like to do best, and most of the time I understand what it is that I am up to."
          --Francis R. Wells (1911-2000), farmer and father, on why he was so content with his life.