Henslow's Sparrow

Sean Hatch

Jul 6, 2022, 8:19:08 AM7/6/22
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Heard the Henslow's Sparrow yesterday found by Gorden Smith and its continuing today. I must be crazy but I personally thought I heard 2 separate birds though not at the same time. Not sure if this bird can throw its songs but at one point it was calling within 10 yds from me then while I was still looking at the same area the call to me seem to come from much further out maybe 30 yds. Not sure how it moved without me seeing it but certainly not impossible.

Sean Hatch

Jul 9, 2022, 9:01:33 PM7/9/22
to maine...@googlegroups.com
What an amazing evening with the Henslow's Sparrow!! Started singing minutes after arrival and then he flew right towards us and dipped down at the base of the shrub 20ft from us. Popped back up and put on a show of song and looks that couldn't be beat. At one point he made a chip note I hadn't heard before several times. This was the best looks I've had in my 4 visit to see him and the colors on his wings were amazing such an array of deep reds browns and tans. His chest had the faintest buff on it reminiscent of a Lincoln's Sparrow but so very faint. The books do not do this bird justice. 45 min of just the bird and ourselves I think it helped we were fairly quiet and still. A day I'll never forget.

Checklist w/ photos: