Re: [Maine-birds] Digest for maine-birds@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 4 topics

Loring Danforth

Sep 21, 2017, 4:40:26 PM9/21/17
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Stan, I heard a carolina wren over in New Auburn near the river last year. Dan Nickerson, whose email is

knows more about it and saw it often.
Danny

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM, <maine...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jeff Wells <jeff...@borealbirds.org>: Sep 21 06:17PM

Yesterday morning there were three Great Egrets south of the landing in Gardiner and bopping back and forth across the river along with at least six Great Blue Herons.

Jeff Wells
Richard Garrigus <rgar...@meca.edu>: Sep 21 12:09PM -0400

I checked belatedly on the radar this morning and was surprised to see some
offshore birds as the light arrived, despite strong following winds. Was
curious to know if anyone made the trip there this morning before 8:30. (I
was there from 8:30-9:30) If anyone was there earlier, I'd love to compare
notes. I saw a handful of warblers but heard many more. They were next to
impossible to find with the winds keeping trees and shrubs in constant
motion. I'm trying to get a handle on how birds behave with the various
conditions on a given day.

I'll be posting to eBird later. Highlight was an aerial display by raptors.

Richard Garrigus
Delia Guzman <dguzm...@gmail.com>: Sep 21 10:21AM -0400

Doug Hitchcox told me no one saw him yesterday--is he gone? (I wouldn't be
surprised, given the improved weather.)

Thanks,
Delia in Brunswick (who should've gone on Tuesday, dangit)
Doug Hitchcox <dhit...@mac.com>: Sep 21 10:32AM -0400

I just led our weekly walk at Gilsland, with particular focus in the North Meadow, and did not see the Fork-tailed Flycatcher.

We did have 41 species, including ~20 Snowy Egrets feeding along the river off the North Meadow but the distance was a little too great to see if the Little Egret was among them.

Here is a complete list from our walk for anyone interested: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39312814

Good birding,

Doug Hitchcox
Staff Naturalist
Maine Audubon
207-781-2330 x237
dhit...@maineaudubon.org

Stan DeOrsey <js...@att.net>: Sep 20 08:39PM -0400

Does anyone have a record of a Carolina Wren NESTING in the greater
Lewiston / Auburn area for any year?

Similarly, does anyone have a record of a Common Gallinule (was Common
Moorehen) for any month, not necessarily nesting, in the Greater
Lewiston / Auburn area in the past 10 years?

Greater Lewiston / Auburn is Androscoggin County plus any town bordering
Androscoggin (but not Portland or Augusta). Thank you.

--
Stan DeOrsey js...@att.net

Loring M. Danforth
Telephone: 207-786-6081