Barn owl question

Kit Pfeiffer

Jan 30, 2016, 8:15:33 AM1/30/16
to Maine birds
My daughter in Bangor wants to now if there have been barn owl sightings there. How far north in Maine are they? Thanks. Kit

Andrew Aldrich

Jan 30, 2016, 8:54:12 AM1/30/16
to Maine birds
Hi Kit,
    According to an eBird search there has never been a sighting in Maine. Perhaps 15 to 20 years ago I remember hearing a birder say they saw one near the Wells, ME. exit.  I do not remember any other details.

Happy birding
Andy Aldrich
North Berwick

Herb Wilson

Jan 30, 2016, 8:59:55 AM1/30/16
to Andrew Aldrich, Maine birds

Rich MacDonald

Jan 31, 2016, 10:39:04 AM1/31/16
to Herb Wilson, Andrew Aldrich, Maine birds
I know of two other Maine Barn Owl records, although it appears neither were submitted to the Bird Records Committee:

1) According to an unpublished reference, there was a report in the Maine Field Observer (sorry, I don’t have the specific citation) stating a Barn Owl was observed 11 January 1961 in Southwest Harbor. “Mann was the observer.” This appears to refer to Rocky Mann, of Bar Harbor.

2) Former Acadia National Park rangers Tony Linforth and True Muzzy reported a single bird after dusk at Sand Beach while they were doing a program.

Richard MacDonald
The Natural History Center
P.O. Box 6
Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Ri...@TheNaturalHistoryCenter.com

Andrew Aldrich

Jan 31, 2016, 1:06:12 PM1/31/16
to Rich MacDonald, Herb Wilson, Maine birds
I failed to remember in my earlier post that one time I was at Tuckahoe Turf last year, and one of the workers, who lives in Berwick, talked to me about an owl he saw. After hearing his description,  it was clear he had seen a barn owl. I asked him to take pictures and if he would document it for a  state record if he sees it again, or call me.  I have not heard from him since.

Andy Aldrich
North Berwick

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Barn owl question

<!--[if !supportAnnotations]--> <!--[endif]-->