Northern Maine Birds: First Arrivals

Bill Sheehan

Mar 30, 2015, 9:34:12 PM3/30/15
to Maine birds
All the early migrants have been a bit tardy so far this year, but today I recieved  word that 1 Common Grackle had arrived in Perham and 1 Red-winged Blackbird was seen in Mars Hill.   Also this AM, I saw a lone Canada Goose standing on the still completely frozen Aroostook River in Presque Isle.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/71911844@N04/16364292803/in/photostream/

On Sunday, Hooded Mergansers, Common Mergansers and Common Goldeneyes had all reappeared in a bit of open water on the Aroostook River in Presque Isle.  A Red-tailed Hawk was reported in Easton on Sunday too.

On my PM commute, 19 newly-arrived Ring-billed Gulls were foraging for tidbits on the ice below the Caribou Dam on the Aroostook River in Caribou.

According to photos and reports I've recieved, at least a couple Snowy Owls are still lingering in Cross Lake and St. Agatha.

A sighting of a recently-roused Chipmunk on the snow in Caribou yesterday prompted me to put out my new bear-proof feeder.  So far so good.

Cheers
Bill

--
Bill Sheehan