Northern Goshawk - Greenville

Bruce & Martha Dackowski

Nov 23, 2012, 8:33:56 AM11/23/12
to maine...@googlegroups.com
For two days now, I've seen a Northern Goshawk stitting atop a dead tree on the edge of our yard.  He sat so still got a good ID with my binocs on him.  Could plainly see the white "eyebrow" above the eye.  First time I've seen one here in Greenville out by Lower Wilson Pond.
Martha/Greenville

Clark Moseley

Nov 23, 2012, 1:07:41 PM11/23/12
to Maine-birds
Was he sitting on a perch watching your feeder birds?

--
Clark "Chip" Moseley
PO Box 151/198 Pertville Rd.

Hm. Phone:  207.359.2558
Cell Phone:  207.812.0461 (seldom used)
Camp Phone:  207.672.3603

Clark Moseley

Nov 23, 2012, 2:33:51 PM11/23/12
to Maine-birds
This species generally does not migrate.  When there's not enough prey items around they will explore nearby habitats.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Bruce & Martha Dackowski <mnb...@dishmail.net> wrote:

Hi Clark:  He was clearly watching my tray feeder, because he was so high and strategically able to see most of the property.  I was wondering what happened to my mourning dove population - now I know.  The blue jays angrily announce him, but I'm sure he's picked off many of our red squirrel and dove population.   Same time every morning when I'm pulling up the window blinds - approx. 6:45 - 7 AM.  Then don't see him the rest of the day.  Won't he migrate - this far North?
Thanks, Martha

Down East Nature Tours

Nov 23, 2012, 7:29:04 PM11/23/12
to Clark Moseley, Maine-birds
My Goshawk over the years has show seasonality, predictably present during the spring breeding season and a time when I need to keep an eye on my chickens. (Nine healthy meals over the last 4 years.)   During the winter, these birds do not appear to be present and I do not clearly understand where they go.  Migration is relative in this species and most likely to range rather far as Clark commented below.  They are clearly dedicated to our intact forest in Town Hill for nesting and have been present along with Broad-winged Hawk since forest regrowth in our once farmed land. (1890’s).... The Broad-winged often alert me to the Goshawk.....My guess is that our island Goshawks move inland and roam the coastal edge searching for Grouse, Jays,Am. Robin and perhaps my company Logo, the Northern Flicker. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58781382@N02/8211517499/in/photostream  The Flickers down south are molting tail feathers which makes any bird vulnerable to a stealth-full Goshawk or Coopers.

The story below is another example of feeders attracting predators.  Bird feeders are the perfect Predator feeding center and a great reason for the Goshawk to hang around and a another good reason to change your feeding regimes to reflect over use by any predator, squirrels or raptors....  your providing the prey items.... other birds.   When the Goshawk is done with all of your prey items it will move on to the next......feeder.

Michael
DSC_0259 Northern Flicker (Colaptes auartus) Smithtown Nov 21 2012.jpg