Great Black Hawk updates?

Rob O'Connell

Nov 29, 2018, 3:14:30 PM11/29/18
to maine...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
Grabbing my son and heading back and wanted to know if there were any updates to the location. Please and thank you!

Thanks,
Rob O'Connell

Doug Hitchcox

Nov 29, 2018, 3:17:58 PM11/29/18
to Rob O'Connell, maine...@googlegroups.com
Still here (3:17PM). Same place: corner of Deering and Park Ave.

Sent from my iPhone

Doug Hitchcox

Nov 29, 2018, 3:48:20 PM11/29/18
to Doug Hitchcox, Rob O'Connell, maine...@googlegroups.com
I have to leave but there are still a handful of people around. It has been perched in a catalpa tree, still near the corner of Deering and Park, for the last hour and twenty minutes.

If anyone sees it going to roost (probably in the Norway Spruces in the park) please post updates.

Good birding!

Doug Hitchcox

Sent from my iPhone

John James

Nov 29, 2018, 4:36:12 PM11/29/18
to Maine birds
Would somebody please be more specific?  Neither "Black Hawk" nor "Great Black Hawk" is listed on Cornell's huge www.allaboutbirds.com web site.  What species are we talking about?

Boots.

Nov 29, 2018, 4:43:50 PM11/29/18
to John James, Maine birds
Buteogallus urubitinga

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM John James <jwja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would somebody please be more specific?  Neither "Black Hawk" nor "Great Black Hawk" is listed on Cornell's huge www.allaboutbirds.com web site.  What species are we talking about?
--
~Boots.

Bill Grabin

Nov 29, 2018, 4:48:36 PM11/29/18
to boo...@gmail.com, jwja...@gmail.com, maine...@googlegroups.com

Kristen Lindquist

Nov 29, 2018, 4:50:00 PM11/29/18
to jwja...@gmail.com, maine...@googlegroups.com
This is an extremely rare bird to be seen in the US; this individual is one of the first, and the first in Maine.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM John James <jwja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kristen Lindquist

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama

Robin R Robinson

Nov 29, 2018, 4:59:06 PM11/29/18
to Kristen Lindquist, jwja...@gmail.com, maine...@googlegroups.com
A Facebook MAINE Birds member has reported and photo'ed this bird in the Canco Woods Trail this bird on OCTOBER 23rd. She has been encouraged to enter this to eBird. RRR

Nov 29, 2018, 5:36:28 PM11/29/18
to Doug Hitchcox, maine...@googlegroups.com
We left at dark and it was roosting in an oak across from 132 park street. Shortly after you left a red tailed hawk landed in the tree where you left it and flexed it’s muscles for a bit before the two got into a tussle, locking talons at one point. Neither looked injured other than pride. They watched each other for a while before the RTHA left heading towards the football stadium direction.

Thanks,
Rob O'Connell

Rob O'Connell

Nov 29, 2018, 6:32:46 PM11/29/18
to Doug Hitchcox, maine...@googlegroups.com
Sorry that was 132 Park AVENUE! My bad. Apologies to everyone who lives on Park Street who wakes up to a gaggle of birders on their porches. :-)

Thanks,
Rob O'Connell