Warblers on Eastern Trail over Kennebunk River

Paul Wells

Apr 25, 2015, 9:47:27 PM4/25/15
to Maine birds
My wife and I took our first-of-Spring walk on the Eastern Trail in Kennebunk, between the K'bunk Elementary School and Limerick Road. About 2/3rds of the way north on this segment the trail crosses over the Kennebunk River. This is typically a pretty birdy spot and we were not disappointed today. It was hopping with warblers, mostly Yellow-rumps, but also quite a few (half a dozen?) Palms and one, or possibly two, Black-and-whites. The Yellow-rumps were too active to get much of anything like an accurate count but there may have been as many as two dozen. A couple of Eastern Phoebes and a high-soaring Red-tailed Hawk added to our enjoyment.

If birders are not familiar with the trail (I don't see a lot of reports from it), and also like to get in a good walk, I recommend it. A bit later on, Chestnut-sided Warbs and Common Yelllowthroats can usually be found from a bit south of the river north to Limerick Road. Last summer, at least, Red-eyed Vireos were usually present in various spots, and other warblers were often heard, if not seen.

pfw
Paul F. Wells
West Kennebunk, ME
USA

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
                                                             --Albert Schweitzer