Monhegan this past week

Kristen Lindquist

Mar 27, 2021, 8:17:12 AM3/27/21
to Maine Birds
I was out on Monhegan Island this past week, Mon. — Fri. Having never been out there this time of year, it was fun to see what was around for birds in early spring.

Highlights:

Owls:
-A recently dead Saw-whet Owl was found by an island resident in their yard (my guess is that it starved).
-Another resident reported hearing a Great Horned Owl hooting nightly in the back of the Meadow, but my nightly listening did not, alas, coincide with its vocalizing.

Offshore:
-Rafts of Long-tailed Ducks offshore, as well as a number of Common Loons, Black Guillemots (only a couple still in their winter white), and Red-breasted Mergansers
-A handful of Great Cormorants
-An adult and a sub-adult Bald Eagle on the offshore islands/ledges
-My most exciting sighting of the week was a fly-by drake Harlequin Duck, very close to shore near Lobster Cove, an island first for me.

On-land migrants:
-The Meadow was loud with Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles. A few Brown-headed Cowbirds arrived mid-week.
-The island was crawling with Song Sparrows everywhere. I only managed to find one White-throated Sparrow amid them all, as well as 1-2 Fox Sparrows (another island first for me) at a feeder. Juncos also came to that feeder and were throughout Cathedral Woods.
-American Robins increased in numbers over the week and a few were singing.
-I was surprised to come across a pair of Brown Thrashers already in their “usual” spot up on Horn Hill near the Burnt Head trailhead.
-Carolina Wrens were vocal around the island. Heard FOY Winter Wrens (2) in the trees near Lobster Cove.
-My first night I also heard at least two American Woodcocks displaying near the Meadow.
-Another surprise was a singing male House Finch in town (another, more orange HOFI was photographed last week by an island resident, so there were at least two), a species I’ve only seen out there once or twice before. No Purple Finches.
-Heard a small flock of White-winged Crossbills in the treetops of Cathedral Woods.
-Found what seemed to be fairly fresh, intact wings of a Northern Flicker along the road, body completely gone.
-First one and eventually a pair of Canada Geese were hanging out in the vicinity of the Meadow

-Ring-necked Pheasants were very much present, both sexes, the males quite vocal

Non-bird observations:
-FOY Mourning Cloak in Cathedral Woods
-Pussy willows!
-Birders will notice that many of the mature spruce trees around town fell and/or were removed over the winter, including two of the three “magic spruces” or “Cape May spruces” at the top of Wharf Hill.
-The White Head trailhead has been slightly re-routed.

Looking forward to getting back out there in May!
Kristen

--
Kristen Lindquist

Website: kristenlindquist.com