Merlins catching brunch

Joanne Stevens

Apr 25, 2015, 9:00:26 PM4/25/15
to maine...@googlegroups.com
It's always exciting to actually see a raptor catching its meal.
I've had the opportunity to see Merlins strike twice recently. The
other neat thing is that they were not coastal birds but were seen
inland--one along Rt. 2 just west of Rumford as it grabbed a Starling
alongside the road and the other yesterday along Rt. 16 in Wilson's
Mills. My husband and I had stopped the car to check out a huge flock
of mostly Juncos and a few Sparrows when they all flushed. Hardly
before we knew what had happened the Merlin had streaked away with a
Junco!

Joanne