Biddeford/Kennebunkport CBC on Jan 1st

kado...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2022, 3:15:30 PM1/22/22
to Maine birds

I realized that I never posted this, better late than never.  The 62nd Biddeford/Kennebunkport CBC that took place on Saturday, January 1st.  We had 33 birders and 13 feeder counters, mostly birding individually or in small family groups. The day was overcast with heavy fog and rain most of the day, temperatures were in the mid-30’s with little or no wind.

Total species 73, Total birds 10,346, Plus 3 CW species.  This was the lowest number of species and second lowest number of birds found for the last 10 years.  The rain and fog made the birding difficult.  We did have a new species added this year, an Osprey found on River Rd in Biddeford, the north area of section 1. There were high counts again this year for Bald Eagle and Carolina Wren. We also had high counts for Sanderling and Ring-billed Gulls.  We had only 3 Purple Sandpipers where we usually have 100+, sea bird counts were low, and we had a new low for American Tree Sparrow. There were no northern finches.