Speaking of 64-bit

Howard S Shubs

Apr 21, 2018, 6:08:38 PM4/21/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Rich, is there any chance of updating the program to be 64-bit
clean? Or of posting thet code so we can do it as a group?
--
A closed mouth gathers no foot. -- unknown

Rich Siegel

Apr 21, 2018, 6:13:19 PM4/21/18
On 4/21/18 at 9:50 AM, how...@shubs.net (Howard S Shubs) wrote:

> Rich, is there any chance of updating the program to be 64-bit clean?
> Or of posting thet code so we can do it as a group?

None whatsoever.

R.
--
Rich Siegel Mailsmith Maintainer
<sie...@mailsmith.org> <http://www.mailsmith.org/>

SoftRAID support

Apr 21, 2018, 11:25:52 PM4/21/18
On 4/21/18 at 3:12 PM, sie...@mailsmith.org (Rich Siegel) wrote:

>None whatsoever.

So it starts to die with 10.14? Or can it run by ignoring the warnings?

I guess this is a "time will tell" issue.

Mark James
mjames @ SoftRAID.com

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination
- Mark Twain

Howard Shubs

Apr 22, 2018, 8:48:24 AM4/22/18
to Mailsmith Talk
On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 4:13:19 PM UTC-6, Rich Siegel wrote:
On 4/21/18 at 9:50 AM, how...@shubs.net (Howard S Shubs) wrote:

> Rich, is there any chance of updating the program to be 64-bit clean?
> Or of posting thet code so we can do it as a group?

None whatsoever.

That sounds a lot like an End of Life notice.

Rich Siegel

Apr 22, 2018, 8:54:36 AM4/22/18
On 4/21/18 at 4:25 AM, sup...@softraid.com (SoftRAID support) wrote:

> On 4/21/18 at 3:12 PM, sie...@mailsmith.org (Rich Siegel) wrote:
>

> >None whatsoever.
>
> So it starts to die with 10.14? Or can it run by ignoring the
> warnings?

Having never seen 10.14, I have no idea.

Rich Siegel

Apr 22, 2018, 8:54:52 AM4/22/18
On 4/22/18 at 12:23 PM, denim...@gmail.com (Howard Shubs) wrote:

> > > Rich, is there any chance of updating the program to be 64-bit clean?
> > > Or of posting thet code so we can do it as a group?
> >
> > None whatsoever.
> >

> That sounds a lot like an End of Life notice.

You asked a question, I gave an answer. Make of it what you will. :-)

David Blanchard

Apr 22, 2018, 10:44:45 AM4/22/18
On 04/21/2018 at 11:12 PM, sie...@mailsmith.org (Rich Siegel) wrote:
>On 4/21/18 at 9:50 AM, how...@shubs.net (Howard S Shubs) wrote:
>
>> Rich, is there any chance of updating the program to be
>>64-bit clean? Or of posting thet code so we can do it as a group?
>
>None whatsoever.

While we may not be happy with the answer he provided, it is
definitive and I appreciate that.

It's been a long and happy road with Mailsmith. Thanks!

David
| David O. Blanchard http://DavidBlanchardPhotography.com/ |
| Flagstaff, Arizona http://blog.dblanchard.net/ |

chris

Apr 23, 2018, 11:23:32 AM4/23/18
to Mailsmith Talk

Actually, he asked two questions, but there was only one answer, so it's ambiguous which one(s) he was answering...

I choose to make of it that Rich has decided that it's not worth the effort to upgrade Mailsmith, so he's decided to work on Mailsmythe, a modern email client that has everything in Mailsmith and more!

Christopher Bort

Apr 23, 2018, 6:53:09 PM4/23/18
On 4/23/18 at 8:23 AM, r...@socialdesign.org (chris) wrote:

>Actually, he asked two questions, but there was only one
>answer, so it's ambiguous which one(s) he was answering...
>
>I choose to make of it that Rich has decided that it's not
>worth the effort to upgrade Mailsmith, so he's decided to work
>on Mailsmythe, a modern email client that has everything in
>Mailsmith and more!

A boy can dream.

I'm not sure that turning Mailsmith into a 'modern' e-mail
client would really be all that desirable.

For myself, Mailsmith is about the only Mac OS-only app that I
still use regularly, and there's really nothing I need to do
that can't be done with FOSS. I see more and more linux in my future.

--
Christopher Bort
<top...@thehundredacre.net>

Bill Rowe

Apr 25, 2018, 9:24:42 PM4/25/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 4/23/18 at 3:52 PM, top...@thehundredacre.net (Christopher Bort)
wrote:

>For myself, Mailsmith is about the only Mac OS-only app that I still
>use regularly

And here also. It will be sad if Mailsmith becomes incompatible
with an OS upgrade and it isn't feasible for whatever reason to
make it compatible. I've no idea at this time what I would do to
replace Mailsmith. But this isn't something I will worry about
until I absolutely have to.

Christopher Bort

Apr 26, 2018, 1:03:11 AM4/26/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Nor will I, idle speculation aside.
--
Christopher Bort
<top...@thehundredacre.net>

Jeroen Scheerder

Apr 26, 2018, 3:43:08 AM4/26/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com

Quoth Bill Rowe (26 Apr 2018, 3:24):

I've no idea at this time what I would do to replace Mailsmith.

I have, actually. That MS is a POP3 only client suited me so far, because I wanted to retain my long-term mail store on my own systems only.

So now I'm leaning towards the following approach.

  • Use MailMate as a replacement for Mailsmith. It's the only other usable mail program out there (there's actually surprisingly little to choose; much has been lost in the realm of email)
  • It's imap only, though, so I'll set up my own IMAP service
  • ... and either set an MX for my domain to deliver mail directly
  • ... or continue to forward to an ISP, and use fetchmail to POP3 user messages into my IMAP server's maildir folders

That leaves the question of migrating the current mail archive (probably by exporting everything as mbox files, and importing these using any IMAP mailclient).

Cheers, J$

signature.asc

Steve Piercy

Apr 26, 2018, 4:11:31 AM4/26/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
On 4/25/18 at 6:24 PM, read...@sbcglobal.net (Bill Rowe) pronounced:

>I've no idea at this time what I would do to replace Mailsmith.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to check multiple Gmail accounts, and
for my primary mail account I use it to check my spam folder
over IMAP. Free is a good price. I just can't bring myself to
pay for mail programs. Thunderbird supports POP.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/faq-changing-imap-pop

The primary reason I love using Mailsmith is because it is so
much like BBEdit, and I'll hold on to it for as long as I can.

--steve

------------------------
Steve Piercy, Eugene, OR

Howard Shubs

Apr 27, 2018, 4:52:17 PM4/27/18
to Mailsmith Talk
That works.  If not, I wonder if some of us might want to start doing it ourselves.

Richard Fairbanks

Apr 29, 2018, 10:52:27 PM4/29/18
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
> I just can't bring myself to pay for mail programs.

:-)

I paid for Mailsmith when it first came out, I’d gladly pay for an upgrade!

> The primary reason I love using Mailsmith is because it is so much
> like BBEdit, and I'll hold on to it for as long as I can.

Agreed.

--

Richard Fairbanks
li...@F-P-I.com